• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jose Rondon scouting report?

I can give you the pessimist's view on him.  Big, athletic body with good plate discipline, but he has a chance at becoming too big to play shortstop in the future, which means he'll have to move to 3B and he doesn't hit for enough power to be considered a good 3B prospect, which means he'll be basically another middling prospect.

Personally, I think he'll stay at SS and hit for more power with time.  

Per John Mayo @ MLB.com:

Jose Rondon
Orem Owlz ®
ETA: 2016
Position: SS
Bats: R, Throws: R
Height: 6' 1", Weight: 160
Signed: Jan .13, 2011
Scouting Grades* (present/future): Hit: 4/5 | Power: 3/4 | Run: 5/5 | Arm: 6/6 | Field: 5/6 | Overall: 4/5

The Venezuelan infielder made his United States debut in 2012, playing in the rookie-level Arizona League at age 18 and earning a late bump up to the Pioneer League. Rondon has gained 20 pounds in the last year and the Angels are hoping he’s ready for a big jump to full-season ball. He has the chance to hit with a little extra-base pop. An average runner, he has outstanding instincts for the left side of the infield with more than enough arm. He gets high marks for his makeup and competitiveness, which is why the Angels think he might be able to handle the Midwest League.

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/#list=ana

Also Baseball Prospectus ranks him  #9, Law @ #10, and Baseball America @ #19 with reports behind pay walls.

Anyone seen a good scouting report on Jose Rondon, hopefully a non-biased one? No offense to Scotty, Chuck, Dave etc, but I'd like to hear what someone other than an Angels fan has to say!

You should have asked Ric Wilson the other day. 

I did.

AngelsWin: Alright, let's focus on some individual players now if you don't mind.  A player that has caught my eye with the Orem Owlz is 19-year-old shortstop Jose Rondon.  What do you see in the future for Rondon and what is his potential?

Ric Wilson: We are starting to build some depth. Quality fielder with the bat coming on should be able to stay there. Steady on both sides of the ball.

I did.

AngelsWin: Alright, let's focus on some individual players now if you don't mind.  A player that has caught my eye with the Orem Owlz is 19-year-old shortstop Jose Rondon.  What do you see in the future for Rondon and what is his potential?

Ric Wilson: We are starting to build some depth. Quality fielder with the bat coming on should be able to stay there. Steady on both sides of the ball.

Good job, Scott. I will get even more from Ric for our top-50 2014 list. But Rondon does look promising. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's tough, I mean look at Rondon, it has him listed at 6'1, but that kid has to be at least 6'3 - 6'4.  Probably 200 lbs, not the listed 160.  Hits a lot of screamers off the bat.  Not especially strong but certainly drives the ball with authority.  Great arm, smart player, decent instincts and perhaps this doesn't mean anything but he never treats it like a big deal when he makes an outstanding grab at SS or comes up with a big hit.  He's mature, acts like he's been there before. 

Now giving him a comp is a very relative idea.  I mean I could say he reminds me of Troy Tulowitzki in the way that when he steps on the field, his build and athleticism are just at a different level.  But I'm not saying he'll hit for power and average like Tulo, just similar skill set.  So the names I'll throw out there are very general, make of them what you like.  Yunel Escobar, but more athletic.  Ian Demond, but not as strong. 

Of the players that have gone through the system since the Angels came through Provo/Orem, I would list him with Kotchman and Segura as being the three best prospects that I have seen.

The best season is still Robert Lopez but he was 23.  Kotch, Segura, and Rondon were all teenagers and they already knew how to slow the game down.  I really like Rondon and am excited to watch him progress.  I think his power will develop to the 10-15hr/season stuff.