• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Watching this gives me hope

Vargas is a number 3. He's much better than thought of by fans IMO. Between Weaver, Wilson and Vargas and a resurgent Blanton and Jerome Williams, we're fine. I know Jerome got lit up in his last start, but he's been consistently good this season and I love his stuff. 

What we're seeing out of Blanton is better than what all of us expected and what we saw to open the first two months is far worse than what we expected. If we get the Blanton I thought we'd get for the rest of the contract I'd be happy.....

Some of you guys are hard to please. 

Vargas and Hanson could be out past the trade deadline, so you basically have a month of a solid Weaver, a Jekyl/Hyde WIlson, Blanton and Williams, who are both placeholders for SPs, and "?" as we go through one of the tougher stretches on the schedule.  Vargas MAY be a solid 3 but it doesn't matter what he could potentially give us in August if we are 10 games back at that point.  I like Williams as a 5 starter but, right now, he's our 3 doesn't have the greatest track record for maintaining his stuff/numbers throughout the season.  As for Blanton, he's exposed against legit offenses (BOS, STL) and should be a long man in a solid rotation. 

If you want to stay close until at least Vargas can come back you may have to move a piece to get a solid SP and, to do that, you'll porobably have to give up one of Trumbo or Bourjos.  If you do make a trade, it has to be for a long-term solution and not a Greinke/rental-type.

Mulwin, I think Wilson is more like a #3 and Weaver a #2, or a second tier ace. Vargas is more like a #4 and Williams, Hanson, Blanton and Richards all #5s (although Blanton has been pitching more like a #4 of late).

Either way that's not good enough to win, or at least not good enough to go far in the playoffs, and to win with that rotation they'd need collapses from a couple wildcard teams.

Anyhow, I really hope they don't trade Bourjos or Calhoun. I actually like both better than Trumbo long-term - yes, even Calhoun. But Bourjos, when healthy, is a legit star. Gold Glove centerfielders with above average hitting don't grow on trees.

AJ, I just don't trust Wilson.  The guy can have Ace stuff at times but has the mental fortitude of a back of the rotation starter.  I would them to find a legit middle starter while Hanson/Vargas are out so we don't have to depend on Blanton/Williams/???? to carry the load.

I'd like them to trade Trumbo as well as I think he limited overall as a player (great power, average plate approach, defense and speed) but could attract the best prospect since he has the longest track record to for an opposing GM to check out.

I don't know if you knew this but Calhoun has 34 games of minor league experience at 1B and seemed to manage pretty well.  Perhaps a scenario of Trumbo being traded and Calhoun sliding in 1B is not so far fetched.  Right now, I love to give his .325/.401/.949 slash line a shot at the top of the order either in front or behind Trout

Vargas and Hanson could be out past the trade deadline, so you basically have a month of a solid Weaver, a Jekyl/Hyde WIlson, Blanton and Williams, who are both placeholders for SPs, and "?" as we go through one of the tougher stretches on the schedule.  Vargas MAY be a solid 3 but it doesn't matter what he could potentially give us in August if we are 10 games back at that point.  I like Williams as a 5 starter but, right now, he's our 3 doesn't have the greatest track record for maintaining his stuff/numbers throughout the season.  As for Blanton, he's exposed against legit offenses (BOS, STL) and should be a long man in a solid rotation. 

If you want to stay close until at least Vargas can come back you may have to move a piece to get a solid SP and, to do that, you'll porobably have to give up one of Trumbo or Bourjos.  If you do make a trade, it has to be for a long-term solution and not a Greinke/rental-type.

Sensible, but would you make such a trade in this team's current position?

These rental players the Angels have picked up the last few years just didn't pan out.  When they picked up Teixeira, they were already smoking the AL West, and Tex didn't do much to help them in the playoffs.  Haren and Greinke didn't help them get to the playoffs.  It makes me ill when I see what Corbin and "Mean" Jean Segura are doing this season.  I don't really like the idea of giving up a 3B prospect in Cowart, either, since 3B has been such a problem for the Angels for a while.  I don't think a rental guy is a solution at this point.  They have to look long-term.

If they do make a trade (and really, I don't think they should), I'd rather they make a "lesser" trade for maybe some back-of-the-rotation help or a bullpen arm.  The offense can get it done.  

They can still make a run, but it's a tough sell giving up any of the few remaining solid prospects they have at the point they're at in the season.

They need starting pitching yes, but at what cost and to what end for 2013.  Right now, they have about a 10-15% chance of making it to the post season.  They need to get a lot closer than that before they consider trading away anyone from the farm system let alone someone who is currently a starter on the major league roster.

They have less than a month to get themselves in this position.  20 games.  10 of which are vs. texas and oakland.  Going 15-5 over that stretch will put them at 56-50 and likely between 2-5 games out of the second wild card slot.  IF they can get to this point, they should consider an upgrade for SP.  If they are merely .500 after this next 20 games, then no way in hell. 

I understand the theory behind organizational redundancy and how there are several players that are potential trade pieces but the important part of that is whoever you trade now is no longer around to trade next year.  If you don't increase your chances of making the playoffs prior to making a move, then you have just wasted potential trade pieces for when it could truly help.

One thing that could make a bigger difference than some are lending credit to is bringing in a legit pen arm.  Lock down the 8th or 9th inning.  It won't cost you nearly as much and as long as it's a player under club control and doesn't hurt the major league roster then it could be worth doing.  The pen has been good as of late, but they could always get better.

Going into the 8th or 9th only down by a run gives the team a chance.