• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Watching this gives me hope

Aybar's Walkoff. (Not sure if it will link to the actual video, but it should at least get you to the page).

8 of the last 9, 14 of their last 20. 2 of 3 from the Cardinals, who have the 3rd best record in baseball.

Since being a season-worst 12 games under .500 on May 17 (15-27), the Angels have gone 26-17, .605 winning percentage. If they continue that pace for the rest of the year they'll finish 88-74, which might not be quite enough to win the a wildcard spot. So they'll need to avoid the big losing streaks and up it a notch from that pace.

The key remains both Pujols and Hamilton--hopefully they can build upon last night--and the starting pitching being decent enough to keep the team in games.

But here's the question: Do you offer Mark Trumbo for Bud Norris? Or package Trumbo in a trade for another starter? Barring a big losing streak, I think its clear that the Angels won't be sellers during this trade deadline, but will they look for a starter?

Albert Pujols looks dead in the water. If playing his former team couldn't channel vintage Albert than nothing will other than a long DL stint to heal.

Hamilton is swinging better though. Hamilton hot streaks can carry a club weeks at a time.

Trout is Trout.

Comes down to the starters and the bullpen.

OK, fair enough. Trumbo is needed. The only tradeable parts are, unfortunately, in the minors. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Cron and Grichuk go - I don't see a place for either on this team in the future. I'd rather keep Calhoun, but he is also a nice trade piece, although may be undervalued.

The Angels are playing much better ball but I think making the post season is a real long shot. The Post ASG schedule is much more difficult and ther are still 6 or 7 teams ahead of them for the 2 WC spots. If the Angels are trying to rebuild the system trading assets now, in my opinion, would not be prudent. They need to look forward to 2014 and use their limited trade chips prudently.

I disagree with your "no way," Angels N Skins. I mean, chances are they won't but there is certainly "a way." They're only 6.5 games out of a wildcard spot and there are a lot of not-so-great teams ahead of them: the Royals and Indians probably won't be a problem, and I don't think the Yankees have it this year. The big concerns will be Texas/Oakland, the Rays, and Orioles.

I don't want the Angels to empty their already barren farm, but they have a few extraneous pieces. I wouldn't trade any pitching prospect that has value, but here are some position players that have actual value:

1B - Cron

2B - Lindsey, Yarbrough

3B - Cowart, Jimenez

SS - Stamets, Rondon

OF - Calhoun, Grichuk

There are a few others - like Borenstein, Long, etc, but they don't have the value (yet) that the above do.

The Angels don't need Cron and I don't think he'll be any better than Trumbo, so he's available (or the Angels could wait a year and trade Trumbo and keep Cron).

Either Lindsey or Yarbrough will replace Howie Kendrick in 2016; so you only really need one. Rondon seems to have a lot of upside so I'd like to see him kept, but Stamets is tradeable. The Angels seem to have no confidence in Jimenez, so he's tradeable (although doesn't have much value). And then you have Calhoun and Grichuk, both of whom are extraneous. I'd really like to keep Calhoun and see him as the 4th outfielder.

So in my view you can trade Cron, either Lindsey or Yarbrough, Stamets, Jimenez and Grichuk and not really damage the future. I suppose your biggest concern would be trading the wrong one of Lindsey or Yarbrough, but none of the rest seem like they have star potential.

The obvious weakness on this team is starting pitching.  Right now we have:

1)  A solid 1-2 starter on any team in Weaver

2)  A 4 starter in WIlson

3)  AAAA meat in Blanton

4)  Long starter turned into rotational help in WIlliams

5)  Spin the wheel of fortune

We have three big obvious holes in the starting rotation and it's going to be difficult to sustain long winning streaks mediocre starting pitchers.  If they do make a move, it has to be one made with eye towards 2014 and beyond.  In order to have a chance at a SP with the talent to be top of the rotation and under club control, you are going to have to give up one of Bourjos or Trumbo plus maybe one of Cron or Calhoun.  I'd like to trade Trumbo, as I think his upside is limited but we don't really have anyone ready to step in 1B with Pujols as premanent DH so it looks like Burjous would be the piece once he comes off the DL.  Let's say it's a combo of Bourjos/Cron that is being offered - I think that could garner some interest.  I don't like the idea of trading someone like Bourjos but it's probably their best shot.  I only hope they don't waste him on someone like Nolasco or Norris in a panic move.  Only execute if the move is there to be made.

kendrick and prospect(s) on the block. sick of watching GIDP.

last glance kendrick 3rd in the al in GIDP.

Despite some issues, Kendrick is still one of best 2B in the league at a reasonable price.  Plus, who do we have to replace him for next 2-3 years? 

Mulwin, I think Wilson is more like a #3 and Weaver a #2, or a second tier ace. Vargas is more like a #4 and Williams, Hanson, Blanton and Richards all #5s (although Blanton has been pitching more like a #4 of late).

Either way that's not good enough to win, or at least not good enough to go far in the playoffs, and to win with that rotation they'd need collapses from a couple wildcard teams.

Anyhow, I really hope they don't trade Bourjos or Calhoun. I actually like both better than Trumbo long-term - yes, even Calhoun. But Bourjos, when healthy, is a legit star. Gold Glove centerfielders with above average hitting don't grow on trees.

Vargas is a number 3. He's much better than thought of by fans IMO. Between Weaver, Wilson and Vargas and a resurgent Blanton and Jerome Williams, we're fine. I know Jerome got lit up in his last start, but he's been consistently good this season and I love his stuff. 

What we're seeing out of Blanton is better than what all of us expected and what we saw to open the first two months is far worse than what we expected. If we get the Blanton I thought we'd get for the rest of the contract I'd be happy.....

Some of you guys are hard to please. 

The current rotation (when healthy): Weaver, Wilson, Vargas, Hanson (Williams), Blanton

doesn't look dissimilar to

this one: Washburn, Ortiz, Appier, Sele, Lackey

At this point we need to make a run with what we have. If it doesn't work, so be it.

Yeah, I thought about that as well.  I agree, stay with what we have.

Vargas is a number 3. He's much better than thought of by fans IMO. Between Weaver, Wilson and Vargas and a resurgent Blanton and Jerome Williams, we're fine. I know Jerome got lit up in his last start, but he's been consistently good this season and I love his stuff. 

What we're seeing out of Blanton is better than what all of us expected and what we saw to open the first two months is far worse than what we expected. If we get the Blanton I thought we'd get for the rest of the contract I'd be happy.....

Some of you guys are hard to please. 

I don't agree, Chuck. The five you mentioned won't get the job done. If Richards could turn a corner, then I'd be willing to go with him, Weaver, Wilson, Vargas, and Williams. We don't know what we're going to get with Hanson and Blanton and there has to be some stability in at least one of the bottom slots.

The thing is if I'm in the FO I can't warrant a deal to try for the stretch run based on this current streak. The team still can't be trusted to see if it will turn back into a pumpkin. The most I would do is tell Richards he has a job if he can run with it and replace him in the bullpen with Blanton. When Hanson returns, I'd let him get a few starts. If he does well, great. If not, Williams takes his spot and Hanson bides his time until Vargas returns.

I'm very leery giving up anyone when we're still under .500 and so far out. If they continue to do well, I'm sure something can be done in late July/early August.