• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Pujols Plantar Fasciitis Excuse

I know that every single Angels fan on this board has attempted to convince themselves that Pujols has been sucking this year because he is injured. However, there is another player out there playing through his plantar fasciitis and that player is Evan Longoria who is having a career year. He has 17 bombs and is hitting .301/.371/.549.

Albert claims its not effecting his swing, and it clearly isnt effecting Longoria's. IMO, he is old and declining, with the plantar fasciitis only being a minor contributor

I know that every single Angels fan on this board has attempted to convince themselves that Pujols has been sucking this year because he is injured. However, there is another player out there playing through his plantar fasciitis and that player is Evan Longoria who is having a career year. He has 17 bombs and is hitting .301/.371/.549.

Albert claims its not effecting his swing, and it clearly isnt effecting Longoria's. IMO, he is old and declining, with the plantar fasciitis only being a minor contributor

This year its plantar fascitis and last year it was his knees and next year it will be fill the blank.

Pujols is just getting old and in a serious decline.

http://www.draysbay.com/2013/6/15/4432872/evan-longoria-plantar-fasciitis-fathers-day

"It's probably been bothering me for like two weeks now, but it kind of gets to the point where I don't really feel like I'm doing it any good to go out there and run around on it. I can DH and still be effective."

This is Longoria's first instant of plantar fasciitis in his career, and it's located in his right foot.

He's had it for two weeks. And it's his first time dealing with it.

It sucks. Flares up and comes and goes as it pleases. I sometimes have to tone down my leg day work outs because of fear of doing something really damaging that requires surgery. I don't know how bad Pujols' case is, but I could see how a more severe case can be damaging to a players performance. Agree with those that say a DL stint may help, but the Angels have been playing great baseball of late. Why mess with a good thing?

Or, ya know, the same injury can have various levels of severity and people can respond differently to them.

But, sure, your thing works too.

This.

I've talked to a former athlete who knows serious injuries (ACL/MCL surgery, tommy john) and he said that he once had plantar faciitis and it was so bad that he could barely walk.

Interesting how fans can sit home in their easy chair, diagnose the severity of injuries, and pass these injuries off as being inconsequential.  PF is very painful, I've had it, but it can be dealt with using rest, sometimes surgery.  Trying to play professional baseball with it and sore knees is mind boggling to me.

He should be on the DL.

While I don't agree with the tone of this thread, I can't help but notice Pujols is on pace for the most K's he has had in a full season since his rookie year. I can completely understand his power numbers being down due to the injury, but has it affected his hand/eye coordination, as well as his bat speed that significantly?

I don't think it has any effect on hand eye coordination, this is a foot we are talking about. What it does affect is his stance and ability to push off his injured foot. That restricts his lower body and saps power just like any hitter that is trying to make contact from the waist up.

As for putting him on the DL the question would have to be to what purpose? To rest the foot is the obvious answer but that only temporarily eases some of the inflammation. Once back in the lineup the problem will return.

Send him to the operating table? Sometimes these injuries are not curable through surgery. Do we know if it is? No, so that isn't a for sure answer.

Do you put him on the DL to put a better player in his place? That certainly would be an option if it were possible but currently there are no better options on the bench. Mark Trumbo did a June swoon and augured his batting average into the Jeff Mathis zone, hitting a whole .200 with a .667 ops. In other words worse than Peg Leg Pujols (.255/.788 ops).

For now play him until he says "I give" or the season is a complete collapse and you can shelve him since he cannot change the Angels fate, good, bad or indifferent.

He has altered his stance this year, going with a noticeable leg lift rather than the toe tap. I think he is cheating on pitches, either to make up for his inability to get to the fastball, or to make up for the power lost by his bad foot. The end result is more strikeouts / mistimed swings in exchange for hitting the ball harder when he makes contact.