• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nevin's Gaffe

rbis

Nevin has a tough juggling act to do every game. But I think the Angel's manager is taking some of his orders from above. That's the only explanation I can think of for sitting Mickey Moniak in them midst of a blazing hot streak. Going into the Marlins series, Nevin probably needed to give Taylor Ward some playing time. And the next night Miami threw a lefty. (There was also an off-day in there. So, Moniak sat for three days, and his bat sat with him.) Moniak had a good series in Chicago but did not play at all in Houston. What? This kid has all the markings of a marquee star--if he is handled right, which the Angels have a reputation for not doing. I like Phil Nevin, and from what I hear, so do the players. But the manager may have blown it here--big-time. Let's hope not,

3 hours ago, rbis said:

Moniak had a good series in Chicago but did not play at all in Houston. What? This kid has all the markings of a marquee star--

What makes you say that?

Over the last 4 years (including the minors) he as a stat line of .198 / .247 / .371.

Over the last two years for the Angels he has hit .257 / .277 / .577 at MLB level with an inflated and unsustainable .429 BABIP this year (which is 137 points above league average).

I want the guy to do well, but I don't see anything much more than an average MLB outfielder here. And he has a lot to prove before we can say even that.

5 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

What makes you say that?

Over the last 4 years (including the minors) he as a stat line of .198 / .247 / .371.

Over the last two years for the Angels he has hit .257 / .277 / .577 at MLB level with an inflated and unsustainable .429 BABIP this year (which is 137 points above league average).

I want the guy to do well, but I don't see anything much more than an average MLB outfielder here. And he has a lot to prove before we can say even that.

Not to mention the Ks/BBs ratio, not enough pitch recognition there

Moniak has 17 k’s and 1 walk in 50 at bats. So his performance reeks of a guy on a hot streak versus a guy who has turned the corner and on his way to stardom. To put his strike outs in perspective, his k rate this year is the same as Adell’s in his career. He is 1 for 25 against lefties in his career and as Fletcher pointed out that was a bunt hit.  So his hot streak ended because we faced back to back lefties which also included a day off. At that same time Ward heated up.  

I think Nevin has made many gaffes this year, but I don’t really think this is one of them.

Moniak was hot for a bit, and they used him during that stretch. His plate discipline stats tell you that the production was unsustainable.

You can’t play him vs. LHP, and ultimately Ward gets priority playing time.

The last two seasons, this team has been at its best when Ward is doing good and hitting leadoff.

10 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I’m not sure where you’re gleaning these markings of a marquee star but Moniak is in his 7th pro season and if it hasn’t happened yet it’s probably not going to. I think his best outcome going forward is a lefty hitting Taylor Ward

So it was a bad trade?

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

Nevin is a puppet. Minasian is calling the shots and the lineups. 

Why do people say that?  It’s asinine. To I believe they collaborate, sure. Do I think Minasian is making out line ups and making in game decisions, no. 

31 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Why do people say that?  It’s asinine. To I believe they collaborate, sure. Do I think Minasian is making out line ups and making in game decisions, no. 

Our reporters have said this number a number of times but I am going to say it yet again because so much of this board doesn't seem to get it for some reason, the front office does NOT dictate lineup or in game decisions, they simply provide the data (Tamin's reliever usage stuff, etc).  What Nevin decides to do with said data is up to him.  Really don't get why so many people take this as Minasian being the GM and manager all in one

7 minutes ago, mmc said:

Our reporters have said this number a number of times but I am going to say it yet again because so much of this board doesn't seem to get it for some reason, the front office does NOT dictate lineup or in game decisions, they simply provide the data (Tamin's reliever usage stuff, etc).  What Nevin decides to do with said data is up to him.  Really don't get why so many people take this as Minasian being the GM and manager all in one

It’s hard enough to do one of those jobs much less both. 

4 hours ago, Hubs said:

Nevin is a puppet. Minasian is calling the shots and the lineups. 

No he isn't.

In-game management would be a lot different if Minasian was "calling the shots and the lineups."

4 hours ago, Trendon said:

I think Nevin has made many gaffes this year, but I don’t really think this is one of them.

Moniak was hot for a bit, and they used him during that stretch. His plate discipline stats tell you that the production was unsustainable.

You can’t play him vs. LHP, and ultimately Ward gets priority playing time.

The last two seasons, this team has been at its best when Ward is doing good and hitting leadoff.

which hasn't been good, we finished both seasons under water

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

which hasn't been good, we finished both seasons under water

I said they're at their best when Ward is doing good and hitting leadoff.

He wasn't doing good from June-August of last season and at the start of this season.

They were 43-38 in April, May, September, and October last season.

Hopefully Ward gets it together and makes it clear he’s a starting outfielder.  If he doesn’t he better get some 1b practice before next year when he may be scrambling for a utility role.  As it stands they will either sign Renfroe or someone similar and let two of three of Adell, Moniak and Ward rotate through third spot.