• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joyce / Chapman

Hubs

26 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I'll save you time, It just doesn't happen. We aren't getting a boatload for Ohtani, it's going to be one or two good players, and it's not going to improve the team long term. So they are better off going for it and hoping to make the playoffs and then catch fire...

^^^

What I always tell people is to look up the Scherzer/Trea Turner deal and then lop off about 30 percent. 

The Angels would get some useful prospects but it won’t be anything franchise-altering.

I don’t see them trading Ohtani unless they are maybe 7 games out of a playoff spot. And even then they could keep him if they feel get the feeling they have a chance to re-sign him. 

34 minutes ago, T-angel said:

Estevez is signed for 6.5 mil next year. Thats a helluva deal for a closer performing the way Estevez is right now. Up there with the best contract on the team. I might look to try and extend him another year or two if he keeps this up. 

34 minutes ago, T-angel said:

Estevez is signed for 6.5 mil next year. Thats a helluva deal for a closer performing the way Estevez is right now. Up there with the best contract on the team. I might look to try and extend him another year or two if he keeps this up. 

I agree but if team is out of race Estevez is at his highest trade value.

11 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

^^^

What I always tell people is to look up the Scherzer/Trea Turner deal and then lop off about 30 percent. 

The Angels would get some useful prospects but it won’t be anything franchise-altering.

I don’t see them trading Ohtani unless they are maybe 7 games out of a playoff spot. And even then they could keep him if they feel get the feeling they have a chance to re-sign him. 

Nobody really knows what they would get and if players could help them in future. I know halos got Sandoval for Maldonado. Ohtani is not coming back period...Right now Angels 5 back of W/C with 4 teams to jump over. Seven is a number Angels can reach.

17 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

^^^

If you were Ohtani and wanted to be in playoffs, you signing with Angels? Maybe with team that makes playoffs every year.

51 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

^^^

True, except when the player is two players in one and both leagues have the DH.  Helps a contending team a lot at the plate and on the mound.

Mets, if they improve from .500 record, are a potential target if the Halos are too far back by late July.

DHs have a total OPS in the .600s, and only two starters have a sub 4.00 ERA.   Verlander and Magill are having decent seasons with 4.00+ ERAs.

Edited by Angel Oracle

4 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Nobody really knows what they would get and if players could help them in future. I know halos got Sandoval for Maldonado. Ohtani is not coming back period...Right now Angels 5 back of W/C with 4 teams to jump over. Seven is a number Angels can reach.

4 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

If you were Ohtani and wanted to be in playoffs, you signing with Angels? Maybe with team that makes playoffs every year.

Nobody really knows what Ohtani wants. 

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

True, except when the player is two players in one

The value of him being two players is actually minimal now. When it was really valuable was when he was two players making a combined $3M.

Now he’s making $30M, which is a discount on what he would make but for a 1/3 season rental that’s not as important. And it’s balanced by the other issues surrounding him (clogging up the DH spot and not pitching every 5th day).

I think he’d definitely be the most valuable 2-month rental in baseball history but that’s still nowhere near the return you get for a player with years of control like Soto last year. 

39 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I knew it wasn’t going to be fun to listen to the avalanche of “trade Ohtani” talk, especially since there is no way it wouldn’t be rooted in “this organization sucks” talk.

Unfortunately it has started already in June.

Ugh.

When they are over .500

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

But the thing is, even if Ohtani doesn’t get a franchise-altering return, it’s still important to deal him if they’re out of it because they can then also trade their other players on expiring deals.

They’re not gonna keep Ohtani but trade Renfroe/Urshela/Moore.

But if they trade all the guys on expiring deals, including Ohtani, they’ll still bring in a decent amount of assets for players that they’d otherwise lose for nothing.

8 hours ago, Trendon said:

But the thing is, even if Ohtani doesn’t get a franchise-altering return, it’s still important to deal him if they’re out of it because they can then also trade their other players on expiring deals.

They’re not gonna keep Ohtani but trade Renfroe/Urshela/Moore.

But if they trade all the guys on expiring deals, including Ohtani, they’ll still bring in a decent amount of assets for players that they’d otherwise lose for nothing.

And why would we lose Renfroe, Urshela and Moore?  Why wouldn’t we resign a couple of them?  Ohtani I get, he can play wherever he wants. If we trade Ohtani or all of these guys they are still going to go out and sign free agents and get to a $200 million payroll. 

Sandoval for Maldonado, Moniak for Syndergaard, halos could get someone who could help in future. Maybe you package a Moore and Ohtani for better player. Something would be better than nothing as he is leaving. I like young players halos have and I hope they add to it at deadline.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

And why would we lose Renfroe, Urshela and Moore?  Why wouldn’t we resign a couple of them?  Ohtani I get, he can play wherever he wants. If we trade Ohtani or all of these guys they are still going to go out and sign free agents and get to a $200 million payroll. 

You might, but you could also just re-sign them in the offseason after trading them.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

You might, but you could also just re-sign them in the offseason after trading them.

Because that happens often? Chapman to the Yankees. Who else? There are dozens of players traded each deadline, with probably half being pending free agents.  99.5% don’t sign with the team that traded him. 

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

I don’t know why we don’t see more extensions near the trade deadline.  Take Urshela for example, he’s making $8.4M this year.  Offer him 2 years at a reasonable price say $10M per.  If he doesn’t take it trade him and try resigning him next year.

49 minutes ago, Revad said:

I don’t know why we don’t see more extensions near the trade deadline.  Take Urshela for example, he’s making $8.4M this year.  Offer him 2 years at a reasonable price say $10M per.  If he doesn’t take it trade him and try resigning him next year.

Fletcher can replace Urshela.

20 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

^^^

Right, I mean if they traded him last offseason, or after his MVP year, they'd have gotten a haul, but it wouldn't be ridiculous.

The only team that has gone on to success after trading its franchise star was the Mariners in 2001, after trading Griffey and losing A-Rod. But that was mainly due to Ichiro.

The Rangers then didn't do well for about 7 years after trading A-Rod to the Yankees.

The Marlins didn't win anything after trading Miguel Cabrera.

The Braves didn't do well after acquiring and then losing Texieria.

Nationals look ok, but they haven't had success yet after dumping Turner and Scherzer, nor Soto.

Boston won in 2018, then didn't win after trading Mookie. They spent the money though. 

It really isn't a huge windfall for the trading team.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Because that happens often? Chapman to the Yankees. Who else? There are dozens of players traded each deadline, with probably half being pending free agents.  99.5% don’t sign with the team that traded him. 

That’s because the majority of the teams that are trading rentals at the deadline are in spots where they aren’t trying to be competitive again next season and/or have the money to support a $200M+ payroll.

The Yankees were, hence why they re-signed Chapman after trading him

Edited by Trendon

1 hour ago, Revad said:

A big reason why is players are so close to reaching free agency, and they want to get there.

And where do you trade him? BTV has a value of around 50 right now, which would be a bit more than what Marsh was traded at last year, but not two Marsh's. I think Marsh / O Hoppe was like a value of 33 when it was done.

If you want to sent him to the Padres, they have a worse record than the Angels right now. And don't have the prospects.

Cardinals, Same thing. Braves?

Yankees? probably aren't giving up Dominguez, and it would take him plus. 

Dodgers would be a PR nightmare, so the deal of like Pages, Busch, and Pepiot is not happening.

So where do you send him?