• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Benefit of Hindsight

With the benefit of hindsight (having seen the team for 50+ games now and also having seen some of the performance of free agents) is there one specific free agent from the last two off seasons that you really wish the Angels had signed, someone that you think would have been a perfect fit going forward?

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

With the benefit of hindsight (having seen the team for 50+ games now and also having seen some of the performance of free agents) is there one specific free agent from the last two off seasons that you really wish the Angels had signed, someone that you think would have been a perfect fit going forward?

This year I’m thinking Eovaldi, Bassitt or Eflin. 

I would go back in time, smack Reagins in the head and sign Beltre at all costs.  The downfall of this franchise is directly related to that.  I mean they probably would have also ended up with Carl Crawford, but then there is no Wells/Napoli, Pujols, Hamilton.  

If you want the answer to your question, like most people do, I’d say Eovaldi.  The starting rotation would be pretty great with him.

Edited by cals

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I think @Docwaukeeand I were both adamant that signing Tyler Anderson was a bad idea last winter. Then they signed Tyler Anderson, and here we are now with a 13 million dollar #4/5 starter. 

I was not excited by the signing, but to be fair, Anderson has posted a sub 3.5 ERA over the last month while pitching against above average teams.  I view him more as a mid-rotation arm for which a $13M/yr salary is reasonable.

4 hours ago, oater said:

I was not excited by the signing, but to be fair, Anderson has posted a sub 3.5 ERA over the last month while pitching against above average teams.  I view him more as a mid-rotation arm for which a $13M/yr salary is reasonable.

Yep. 

13 hours ago, Second Base said:

I think @Docwaukeeand I were both adamant that signing Tyler Anderson was a bad idea last winter. Then they signed Tyler Anderson, and here we are now with a 13 million dollar #4/5 starter. 

Honestly $13M is fair for a 4/5 starter. That’s what they cost in free agency. 

That’s why free agency is bad, as you’ve all seen me write endlessly 

14 hours ago, cals said:

I would go back in time, smack Reagins in the head and sign Beltre at all costs.  The downfall of this franchise is directly related to that.  I mean they probably would have also ended up with Carl Crawford, but then there is no Wells/Napoli, Pujols, Hamilton.  

Nail on head.

Morales breaking his leg, and the failure to sign Beltre, were the beginning of the end.

Was just thinking about this earlier this week. Supposedly Beltre really wanted to come here (no idea if true). And if I remember correctly, wel balked at his price tag... which was about 10 mill more than we were willing to spend...

.... which is not only telling for more recent years, but even dumber when you look at the money we wasted afterwards.

Not to mention taking on almost all of Wells' contract.

That's how it all started....

I'll add here that we lost Lackey squabbling over about 10 mill as well, with a "take it or leave it, you have an hour" message from the front office.

12 hours ago, oater said:

Agreed. I don't really think it's an overpay.

At the time the hype was we struck early and got a great deal. So far he isn't an ace pitcher.

So the end result (to this point) is we got a mid rotation guy, at a decent price, which we still really needed

13 hours ago, Second Base said:

I was adamant about not signing him at his projected amount.  We gave him far less than I thought he'd get which made the deal palatable.  It still is.  

I'm not a huge fan of his still but I think he's appropriately paid for what he provides.  

I can't help but think if this in terms of what I'd have been willing the sacrifice in terms of payroll.  And the fact that many of the guys I would have chosen from this last offseason have been a mess.  

Eovaldi still gives me heartburn and his metrics show that he's suddenly figured out how to not give up hrs and induce soft contact.  

It isn't hindsight, because I wanted it a year and a half ago, but the one who got away is Kevin Gausman. He got 5/$110M which, for his performance, is a massive bargain. Since the signing of that contract, he leads all major league pitchers with 8.0 fWAR in 41 starts. 

17 hours ago, Second Base said:

Of all the bad transactions we've made TA won't even crack the top 25. 

In terms of guys we missed out on, I'd say David Robertson probably would have kept us from losing a ton of games.

17 hours ago, cals said:

If you want the answer to your question, like most people do, I’d say Eovaldi.  The starting rotation would be pretty great with him.

Is adenhart alive if they trade for miggy?

47 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Is adenhart alive if they trade for miggy?

Yes he is. 

And that's one of those crazy things about life. 

Can't tell you how many bad things I've seen in life that would never have happened if someone didn't work an extra shift, drive a certain street, take a ride from a friend, run out of something at hime and run to the store etc etc etc

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yes he is. 

And that's one of those crazy things about life. 

Can't tell you how many bad things I've seen in life that would never have happened if someone didn't work an extra shift, drive a certain street, take a ride from a friend, run out of something at hime and run to the store etc etc etc

So true. My boss was supposed to be on that 9/11 flight from New York but ended up changing flights the night before because they took clients out drinking. Life is crazy. 

3 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

So true. My boss was supposed to be on that 9/11 flight from New York but ended up changing flights the night before because they took clients out drinking. Life is crazy. 

I was supposed to work one night when I was 19 or so and gave my shift to someone else so I could go to the ballgame. I wasn’t supposed to close but the guy who worked for me closed and they got robbed and dude took the butt of a shot gun to the face. 

20 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Same guys I wanted without the benefit of hindsight.  Jon Gray and Nathan Eovaldi.