• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select Sam Bachman, DFA Reyes Moronta

mmc

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

Also, I feel like this needs to be said otherwise people will be disappointed...

Sam Bachman DOES NOT THROW 100. 

He doesn't even throw in the upper 90's, really. Can he reach back and hit 100? Yes. But the more I watch him, the more I've seen him fluctuate. Sometimes, he's throwing a darting two seamer at 93-94. Sometimes, he's reaching back and firing up in the zone at 98-99, but the ball isn't moving. 

At his most effective, he's throwing what I would call a "sinking fastball" at 96, low on the zone and it's generating a bunch of broken bats, weak grounders and two hoppers at the SS/2B. And even then, it's his change up and slider that make it so effective. 

But if you're expecting 100 every pitch in every outing, you'll be disappointed. 

But isn’t it logical to assume a couple mile per hour increase working out of the pen as a one or two inning guy?  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

But isn’t it logical to assume a couple mile per hour increase working out of the pen as a one or two inning guy?  

Difficult to say. He was already gassed around 40-50 pitches, which seems to suggest that he was likely pumping harder than your typical starter.

Just a guess, but his first few appearances I think he's going to come in absolutely electric, hitting his limit in terms of velocity before settling in around 97. 

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Considering the goofy stuff we are hearing about the sticky balls this is actually a pretty smart move by Perry and company.  It's little crap like this that ends up paying off.   So nice to hear this sort of stuff is happening.

I'd like to see them move Joyce, Ingram, Torres and maybe Soriano up to AAA so they can get work in using normal baseballs tbh. 

Yeah it's the PCL and Salt Lake is a hitters paradise, but let them get their in-game work in with regular baseballs FFS. 

What a dumbass decision to do this in Double-A. 

50 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'd like to see them move Joyce, Ingram, Torres and maybe Soriano up to AAA so they can get work in using normal baseballs tbh. 

Yeah it's the PCL and Salt Lake is a hitters paradise, but let them get their in-game work in with regular baseballs FFS. 

What a dumbass decision to do this in Double-A. 

The park in SLC has been neutral for HRs for each of the last two seasons.  The league itself is still run happy, but SLC has been playing much closer to true than at any time in it's history and the predictive stuff we have been talking about will help spot where it's the park and not the player.  At this point the only thing about having guys pitch in AAA is accepting that the traditional stuff like ERA and the sort will be skewed and the reality that breaking balls may be less effective.

Runs Home Runs BABIP Overall
Team Org PF Mult PF Mult PF Mult TRC Pctile
Albuquerque COL 120 1.101 122 1.111 105 1.026 6.52 97%
El Paso SD 123 1.114 122 1.112 111 1.057 6.59 99%
Las Vegas OAK 122 1.108 153 1.263 107 1.036 6.56 98%
Oklahoma City LAD 95 0.973 87 0.933 98 0.990 5.76 86%
Reno ARI 106 1.028 87 0.934 103 1.013 6.09 91%
Round Rock TEX 88 0.940 95 0.973 94 0.969 5.56 76%
Sacramento SF 76 0.878 75 0.875 89 0.943 5.20 58%
Salt Lake LAA 112 1.058 100 1.001 110 1.052 6.26 95%
Sugar Land HOU 79 0.893 74 0.871 90 0.950 5.29 63%
Tacoma SEA 89 0.944 96 0.978 92 0.961 5.59 79%

7 hours ago, arch stanton said:

If he gets important outs at the ML level he's worth a first round pick

Considering the number of top 10 overall picks over the years in MLB that flame out, concur with this.

96-98 heat with movement and nasty slider and change = 8th/9th inning guy potential.

K-Rod was a starter in the minors until ST 2002 with little success.   And then burst onto the MLB scene late in 2002 to stay, with the heat and nasty slider.

Edited by Angel Oracle

While I don't know the 40-man move with Bachman being selected, I doubt it's going to be the release of Loup or Moronta or anyone like that. 

Quijada and Warren are on the 15-day DL, not the 60, and Max Stassi is also not on the 60 day DL, so if they make one of those moves, they can select Bachman.

7 minutes ago, Hubs said:

While I don't know the 40-man move with Bachman being selected, I doubt it's going to be the release of Loup or Moronta or anyone like that. 

Quijada and Warren are on the 15-day DL, not the 60, and Max Stassi is also not on the 60 day DL, so if they make one of those moves, they can select Bachman.

Quijada has been on the 60 but I think it's more likely we move Warren than cut anyone

50 minutes ago, Tank said:

@Jeff Fletcher when a player gets their first MLB hit, the ball is taken out of play and given to them. Do the Angels do anything equivalent for a pitcher when they pitch in a game for the first time?

I have never anyone take a ball out of play for a pitcher’s debut. They should get something, though. 

3 minutes ago, mmc said:

Quijada has been on the 60 but I think it's more likely we move Warren than cut anyone

I thought so to, but on MLB.com he is listed as 15-IL.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I have never anyone take a ball out of play for a pitcher’s debut. They should get something, though. 

They probably just save the ball from their first appearance they are holding at the end of the inning.