• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select Sam Bachman, DFA Reyes Moronta

mmc

32 minutes ago, T.G. said:

All hands on deck… Minasian isn’t messing around.

They have 8 road games against the Astros and Rangers coming up. They need to be firing on all cylinders over the next few weeks. Where they sit in the standings after those 8 games is going to play a big part in what decisions they make for this season and/or the future.

16 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

Very surprised by this move as he hasn't exactly shined in AAA (20 BB in 26.1 innings). That has been all as starter though. Can one of our minor league experts let me know if those tend to come after the 1st or 2nd inning? That would make sense then to bring him up and out of the pen. 

9 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I'm all for the aggressive moves and don't really think you'll ruin everyone that gets called up a bit early.

That said, Bachman is walking a ton of batters in the minors.  Not sure he's gonna stick.

The general consensus is that you could attribute a lot of Bachman's control issues to the new ball they are testing in Double-A.

Not every pitcher has been affected but it looks like Bachman is definitely one of them. This was mentioned by Yovan's grandpa who posts in the Kenyon Yovan thread we have.

As for the new Ball KJ has not had much effect,  as his grip is on top of the ball. Those with the side or bottom grip have been having the major challenges.

Bachman was never going to be a starter in my opinion. And I know several others on this board shared this opinion. 

I also believe that because of his heavy fastball, three pitch arsenal and high octane velocity, he'll be a very good reliever for a long time, if he stays healthy. 

As far as I'm concerned, if he becomes a good, high leverage reliever, then this is NOT a wasted first round pick. And I think Bachman is going to be absolutely filthy, nasty in relief. So I'm good with this. 

Also, I feel like this needs to be said otherwise people will be disappointed...

Sam Bachman DOES NOT THROW 100. 

He doesn't even throw in the upper 90's, really. Can he reach back and hit 100? Yes. But the more I watch him, the more I've seen him fluctuate. Sometimes, he's throwing a darting two seamer at 93-94. Sometimes, he's reaching back and firing up in the zone at 98-99, but the ball isn't moving. 

At his most effective, he's throwing what I would call a "sinking fastball" at 96, low on the zone and it's generating a bunch of broken bats, weak grounders and two hoppers at the SS/2B. And even then, it's his change up and slider that make it so effective. 

But if you're expecting 100 every pitch in every outing, you'll be disappointed. 

1 hour ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

Very surprised by this move as he hasn't exactly shined in AAA (20 BB in 26.1 innings). That has been all as starter though. Can one of our minor league experts let me know if those tend to come after the 1st or 2nd inning? That would make sense then to bring him up and out of the pen. 

Have you actually watched him?  He's tended to cruise for three innings then lose gas completely and implode.

1 hour ago, ScottT said:

I'm all for the aggressive moves and don't really think you'll ruin everyone that gets called up a bit early.

That said, Bachman is walking a ton of batters in the minors.  Not sure he's gonna stick.

Maybe Matt Wise and Bill Hezel can fix that.

2 hours ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

I think he is coming up from AA where they are using experimental baseballs.  Hopefully the control will improve with MLB equipment. 

Have to respect the front office's cajones here. If you think about it there isn't anyone with dynamic/filthy enough stuff in the bullpen that can come in during the middle innings and get you a strikeout when you absolutely need one. If you want to get to the playoffs you are going to need a guy like that. Bachman can be that guy.