• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Looks like Josh Hamilton using/chewing tobacco again

HBMike

Superstition is the crux of most baseball players. If he feels it helps him and he is able to live up to what he feels he needs to in regards to his contract, then good for him and congrats to all of us. However, with the small sample size, only time will tell.

This was taken from Alden Gonzales blog.

Is Hamilton dipping again, after quitting in the second half of last season? Video has shown what appears to be smokeless tobacco coming out of his mouth in a few at-bats, which might have been a route Hamilton took towards getting right at the plate again. Approached by reporters before Wednesday’s game, though, Hamilton wouldn’t comment. “I just don’t have any comments on it. It’s one of those things where if I give you guys any kind of story, your story’s going to be different from his story, your story’s going to be different from his story. And then other people who aren’t in this clubhouse, with you guys, are going to take your story and it’s going to be an absolute mess. No, nothing is coming from these lips [in terms of confirmation or denial over smokeless tobacco use]. … Until you actually see me reach in a bag of chewing tobacco, and pull it out, and put it in my mouth, then what’s in there?”

Asked about how much quitting smokeless tobacco might have affected him in a rough second half with the Rangers last year, Hamilton said: “I don’t know if you know this, but before I quit, I started sucking. That has absolutely nothing to do with it.”

He put be spitting it out on his glove --- no, wait, that would make it sticky and nothing is sticking to his glove.

Glad to see Hamilton hitting (and clutch, too) but GEEZ, he's a liability in the OF. 

And with Pujols plantar foot deal, we have two guys who's best defensive position is DH.

Tobacco actually reduces stress.

Ha-Ha! Suuuure...BEWARE ALL: NOTHING said in the above post is validated by research or facts.

Nicotine from using tobacco fools people into thinking they enjoy it and it reduces stress. Ever seen someone smoke or dip the first time? What do they say? "This is disgusting! How could I possibly get hooked on something so terrible?"

But a seasoned user hooked on nicotine who is used to the "disgusting" habit, gradually swears enjoyment or improved performance from its use. In fact, it is nothing but the dependence on the substance of nicotine that justifies the continued use. Smokers/Dippers actually build up great anxiety from using tobacco, because they know of the long term consequences that will come, and it stresses them the hell out. That stress switch relays the short term "relaxing" benefit of tobacco, and the cycle continues.

Hamilton is an adult and can do whatever he wants. If dipping puts him in his happy place to "help him" bat better, fine. But the issue remains that he is now a legal substance user, and the practice barely falls far from someone who needs a fix to get the job done. Take it from a former tobacco user who habitually smoked, and dipped, for 10 years: after its all said and done this kinda fix is all in your head. Dipping gives you interior gum peeling, random lumps in your lips, your throat and gums, and makes your tounge and mouth a medium for bad breath. Look at Aybar, he uses tobacco all the time and his teeth are freakin' yellow. Smoking causes increased illness, coughs, and dependence on an expensive hourly fix. We've all seen it. 

HoA says tobacco reduces stress, yeah maybe, for a split-second, as you eagerly await that first puff or the first seconds of the pinch. But after that it's mostly depression and regret. Dip and cigarettes are eerily similar in that they for some reason make people feel macho while using out in public, but make you feel so imprisoned and helpless behind closed doors.