• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Teams Deemed "Out of it" by June 27th.

I don't get quite why anybody is arguing against the initial post. It's pretty obvious that mancini realizes that the Angels are 10 games out. You know how you can tell he realizes this? All of the teams he cites were way the hell out of first place, and he's not citing them as being the norm.

Is it some kind of protective mechanism for you guys? Are you concerned about mancini?

I like the positivity Mancini but history also shows that most teams that far back don't make the playoffs.

I'm hoping for the best as always but the reality of the hole we have to dig ourselves out of is pretty deep.

Exactly, where's the list of teams that were "out of it" and didn't make a come back?

guys, it's great if you want to be optimistic and believe this team has a shot this year.  Seriously.  But don't get upset at all the realists on the board - after what we've seen this year, plus the way the last few years have gone, you have to understand that to believe this team is going to go on magical run and make the playoffs is really spitting in the face of logic and based almost entirely on emotion and sheer hopefulness.  That's great if that's your attitude, just be aware that that's what you're doing.

I find it funny that anybody thinks that he feels that this is actually going to be the case. That kind of a response seems to be based on emotion. You should be aware of what you're doing as well.

why do this to yourself? they're not making the playoffs.

I'd suggest that to be super pessimistic is just as foolish as being overly optimistic. My preference is to be realistic tinged with a bit of optimism. Yes, chances are they won't make the playoffs but there's also a legit chance that they could. Why deny that fact except to save your feelings?

Some people are just happier being misrable.

I do not think it is being miserable they seek. I think it is about acting with caution, in an attempt not to end up so miserable. They are in fear of believing, only to get their hopes dashed once again. I don’t fault them for it, disappointment is not fun.

Others like Mancini however, conduct themselves with a type of bravery, throwing caution to the wind. The knee jerk retort will be to say the cautious are smarter, however as Mancini pointed out quite clearly, that is not necessarily the case. At this point in the season let the record show, many teams have overcome diversity and won.

Therefore, as I see it, only two choices exist. One, crawl under the rock attempting to protect yourself from any possible disappointment, two, stand up bravely wearing your jersey proud rooting like a fan who expects his/her team to WIN until the day comes when math tells us otherwise.

Btw, the vent/gameday thread is a good place to express any feelings one might have in the moment.  

I find it funny that anybody thinks that he feels that this is actually going to be the case. That kind of a response seems to be based on emotion. You should be aware of what you're doing as well.

Ed Zachary

Below are teams that were deemed "Out of it" by June 27th, but fought and made the playoffs:

2012 A's, 10 GB. Ended up first in division

2009 Rockies, 8.5 GB. Ended up with WC

2007 Yankees, 11 GB. Ended up with WC

2006 Twins, 11 GB. Ended up first in division

2005 Astros, 12.5 GB. Ended up with WC

2003 Marlins, 12 GB. Ended up with WC. Won WS

All of those teams made the playoffs without the help of the added WC. So history tells us the Angels are not out of it.

this is good thanks.

I'd suggest that to be super pessimistic is just as foolish as being overly optimistic. My preference is to be realistic tinged with a bit of optimism. Yes, chances are they won't make the playoffs but there's also a legit chance that they could. Why deny that fact except to save your feelings?

There are many who believe being overly optimistic regarding their sports team is a good thing. Although, there will always be those considered to be emotional china dolls, where a little disappointment turns their day south. For them I would suggest not getting involved in sports. Other than being one of those types, what could the downside of being an overly optimistic fan be?

How about all the teams that didn't make the playoffs?

The post is to illustrate that teams in our position can make the playoffs.  No shit to the argument that teams in our position probably won't make the playoffs.

He is saying there is still a chance!

Not with this pitching staff and bullpen.

The bullpen has potential to be decent and the giants won the world series last year with half of their pitchers struggling. Lincecum last year makes Blanton seem like nothing. if Hamilton and pujols start really producing anything could happen. That is an enormous "if" though

I usually am a pretty pessimistic as the year has gone by. I didn't know it was that many teams, so recently. In 2003 I was too busy hoping the Red Sox to win than bother thinking about anyone else. And well in 2007, I could care less about the Yankees because I hoped we would win again. But YAY! There is hope to win the WS!

And Chuck wonders why we don't start more positive threads. I love the, "oh but what about all the teams that didn't make the play offs" guy. It's because of their bad record we even have a thread like this. If they Angels were .500 there wouldn't be this thread. Hey negative guys, remember when optimists weren't allowed in the vent threads? This kind of thread is the same thing, except the opposite. Go be miserable and use a bunch of CAPITALS and !@#!$%!%!!!!! in other threads.

When doing the research, I thought there would be A LOT less teams that made it to the playoffs after such a bad start. I wasn't proclaiming that the Angels have a good shot at making the playoffs. I was just pointing out the facts of teams that made it happen.

But I did the numbers of all teams that were 8.5-12.5 GB at the same time this year during the last 10 years. A total of 59 teams with 6 making the playoffs. That's a 10% success rate. Just for the sake of argument, lets say 3 additional teams would have made the playoffs with the new playoff format. That would give the Angels a 15% chance. So the odds are definitely against the Angels, but at first I thought their odds would be worse.