• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone here live near Needles?

40 people were hospitalized after attending an OUTDOOR concert yesterday in Vegas in 115-degree heat. Yeah, that's a smart place to spend an afternoon.

In other news, they've cancelled tomorrow's "Running with the Devil" marathon in Boulder City. The name is appropriate.

I'm betting that a lot of those people aren't locals. Those of us who live here generally have more sense than to hang around outside when it's like this - and when we have to, we know how to prepare for it (plenty of sunscreen, hats, carry along plenty of water). I made a trip to Sport Clips to get my hair cut, a stop at Target to pick up a few items and a trip to Taco Bell to pick up some food this evening. That's been it. No way I would want to spend more than a few minutes outside in this. It's going to be tough enough going outside tonight for my evening stogie. The Weather Channel says it's still officially 106 at 9:20 PM.

I'm betting that a lot of those people aren't locals. Those of us who live here generally have more sense than to hang around outside when it's like this - and when we have to, we know how to prepare for it (plenty of sunscreen, hats, carry along plenty of water). I made a trip to Sport Clips to get my hair cut, a stop at Target to pick up a few items and a trip to Taco Bell to pick up some food this evening. That's been it. No way I would want to spend more than a few minutes outside in this. It's going to be tough enough going outside tonight for my evening stogie. The Weather Channel says it's still officially 106 at 9:20 PM.

A balmy 97 right now, at 11 PM.

Forecast for tomorrow is 117, which would match the all-time record high, I believe. 

Stay inside and stay cool!

I have a friend that lives in Vegas. Talked to her today and asked what she was up to and she said her friend was coming by and they were going to drink margaritas and hang out at the pool in her complex. I said what about the heat. She said, "It's not that bad." What a sick maniac. 

Alcohol can make it worse, too. I hope she's okay.

For me, North of 105 is hot. 

How do y'all do this 120 stuff !?

You keep trips short, and don't go to places where you will be outside for very long. Carry water in the car with you even if your planned trip isn't very far. I usually put a bottle of water in the freezer that I toss in the car for such occasions. Use covered parking where it is available. It doesn't happen often here (our usual high temp in the summer is around 102-105, which isn't bad with 5-10% humidity). I use sun shades in the car, and I carry a washcloth so I'm not grabbing a super-heated shifter or door handle with my bare hand. All those chrome-plated surfaces in your interior look nice, but they are not your friend during the summer in the desert.

You keep trips short, and don't go to places where you will be outside for very long. Carry water in the car with you even if your planned trip isn't very far. I usually put a bottle of water in the freezer that I toss in the car for such occasions. Use covered parking where it is available. It doesn't happen often here (our usual high temp in the summer is around 102-105, which isn't bad with 5-10% humidity). I use sun shades in the car, and I carry a washcloth so I'm not grabbing a super-heated shifter or door handle with my bare hand. All those chrome-plated surfaces in your interior look nice, but they are not your friend during the summer in the desert.

That is good advise.

Black cars look good but are very hard to work with in the summer here. Both my truck and car are white.

We always carry water with us where ever we go. Ice chest is mandatory around here. I do cover up my steering wheel with a towel when it's in the direct sunlight. Try to park where the front is facing away from the sun.

Okay, this man is seriously insane:

(Death Valley) Park visitor Jon Rice, 42, of Longmont, Colo., said he plans to run a mile at 4 p.m. — in what he described as a “full-blown Darth Vader suit.”

“My goal is to set a world record for the hottest run ever verified,” Rice, who writes infomercials for a living, said with a smile. “I call it the Darth Valley Challenge.”

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-heat-wave-record-death-valley-forecast-20130630,0,2633866.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fmostviewed+%28L.A.+Times+-+Most+Viewed+Stories%29

I use sun shades in the car, and I carry a washcloth so I'm not grabbing a super-heated shifter or door handle with my bare hand. All those chrome-plated surfaces in your interior look nice, but they are not your friend during the summer in the desert.

HA! My mother visited a couple of months ago and thought it was odd that I had a microfiber cloth on my chrome shifter knob, even after I explained why. I have a black car with a chrome dash which basically means the only time I don't worry about parking in a covered spot is when the sun is down.

P.S. - This is my interior AKA Vegas death trap.

2008-ford-mustang-bullitt-i010.jpg

You and me both. People that visit don't understand why I'd be willing to walk that much further just for covered parking. "Turn on the AC for a minute or two" they say.

"HA!" I say.

I keep meaning to get the windows tinted, but I never get around to it. Seriously considering it happening in the next couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, I point my car to the setting sun and use the reflective dash protector when I have no choice but parking outside. It may not be a cure-all, but it saves blistering by accident. ;)

Redondo, I was in Bullhead a couple weeks ago, it only got up to 106 or so.  We go to Laughlin a couple times a year, spend the day at Lake Mead.

What always strikes me about the heat is that it always seems like it gets hottest at 5:00 pm.