• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Silseth, Soto and a bunch of others optioned/sent down

42 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I guess it's Velazquez job as the backup. Tough game for Silseth the other day but even with a great spring I don't think he was going to beat out Canning or Davidson. 

Do you really think Velazquez is going to be on the team with Fletcher, Rengifo, Drury, and Urshela?  I think Velazquez gets sent down with the next round of moves.  I could be wrong, but I don’t see them carrying 7 infielders.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Do you really think Velazquez is going to be on the team with Fletcher, Rengifo, Drury, and Urshela?  I think Velazquez gets sent down with the next round of moves.  I could be wrong, but I don’t see them carrying 7 infielders.  

They have worked Velazquez in OF maybe he is super sub. He is fast with good glove.

I love Velazquez as the last guy on the bench. He won’t get many at-bats so his lack of a bat won’t hurt us, but his ability to save a game defensively or replace someone like Rendon as a pinch-runner - especially with the ghost runner rule - is a big, big plus. He will make a difference if he’s used as a late-inning sub and with the amount of infielders we’re carrying, would be hard-pressed for plate appearances anyways. We’d have much bigger problems.

Helps that he can spot in OF too.

9 hours ago, totdprods said:

I love Velazquez as the last guy on the bench. He won’t get many at-bats so his lack of a bat won’t hurt us, but his ability to save a game defensively or replace someone like Rendon as a pinch-runner - especially with the ghost runner rule - is a big, big plus. He will make a difference if he’s used as a late-inning sub and with the amount of infielders we’re carrying, would be hard-pressed for plate appearances anyways. We’d have much bigger problems.

Helps that he can spot in OF too.

Ok but who does he replace?

He isn’t replacing:

Fletcher, Drury, Rengifo, Rendon, Urshela, Trout, Ward, Renfroe, Phillips, or 2 Catchers.
So Walsh? 
I’d assume if they kept an extra offensive player it would be Lamb. 
As far as the pinch runner I’d use Phillips in that role. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

He isn’t replacing:

Fletcher, Drury, Rengifo, Rendon, Urshela, Trout, Ward, Renfroe, Phillips, or 2 Catchers.
So Walsh? 

He literally might just be the MLB version of a "Camp Arm" -- someone who can play shortstop competently enough that the starters benefit, but will get sent down once the rubber meets the road so to speak. 

He isn’t replacing:

So Walsh? 

Why not replace Philips?

He isn’t replacing:

So Walsh? 

I thought there was one spot left on bench but haven’t looked too close, maybe there isn’t, especially with so many out of options guys playing well.

Lamb has been great but I think he’s just way too redundant, at least out of the gate, with all our other infielders. To me, he seems like the perfect guy to have in SLC to start the year off and to call up when one of these infielders gets hurt or sucks beyond belief a month from now.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I thought there was one spot left on bench but haven’t looked too close, maybe there isn’t, especially with so many out of options guys playing well.

Lamb has been great but I think he’s just way too redundant, at least out of the gate, with all our other infielders. To me, he seems like the perfect guy to have in SLC to start the year off and to call up when one of these infielders gets hurt or sucks beyond belief a month from now.

Our infielders with options:

Fletcher, Walsh, Velazquez

i think they can only carry 13 pitchers, which means 13 position players. 
Ohtani, Trout, Ward, Renfroe, Phillips, Rendon, Urshela, Fletcher, Rengifo, Drury, Walsh, Stassi, Thaiss/O’Hoppe

Velazquez has had an atrocious spring training.  He’s hitting .136 and yesterday capped off his day with an 0-3 game with 3 K’s.

I agree with @Stradling, he’s not an option at shortstop right now.  He needs to be sent down where he can work on whatever his issues are at the plate.

Defensively, he’s pretty good but offensively he’s flat out bad.

1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

Velazquez has had an atrocious spring training.  He’s hitting .136 and yesterday capped off his day with an 0-3 game with 3 K’s.

I agree with @Stradling, he’s not an option at shortstop right now.  He needs to be sent down where he can work on whatever his issues are at the plate.

Defensively, he’s pretty good but offensively he’s flat out bad.

Philips horrible hitter also. Maybe halo trade coming let's say Fletcher.

19 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Velazquez has played OF this spring. So Albert was and Upton were under contract. Guess what many players under contract get DFA. 

I’m aware. And there’s a huge difference between a SS playing a couple of innings in the outfield in spring training and an elite major league defender in the outfield.  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m aware. And there’s a huge difference between a SS playing a couple of innings in the outfield in spring training and an elite major league defender in the outfield.  

Maybe they keep Lamb and Walsh in OF on some days. Something is brewing and a trade will happen before start of season.

16 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Velazquez has absolutely no place on a major league roster with his non existent bat, especially when you consider our offensive woes last season. I don’t care how good his defense is.

Yeah, but every season the Angels need that one guy who is an automatic out and gets way more playtime than they should. If this scenario doesn't occur the moon will explode and Venus will crash into the sun.

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Yeah, but every season the Angels need that one guy who is an automatic out and gets way more playtime than they should. If this scenario doesn't occur the moon will explode and Venus will crash into the sun.

How many people do you know on Venus?

I think they can only carry 13 pitchers, which means 13 position players. 

Ohtani, Trout, Ward, Renfroe, Phillips, Rendon, Urshela, Fletcher, Rengifo, Drury, Walsh, Stassi, Thaiss/O’Hoppe

Yeah, this is how I see it too. Been that way since the start of camp.