• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Did they just show Percival in the dugout?

nate

I'm not asking him to turn crap into gold I'm asking him to take talent and help them find consistency.

you're asking him to take talent that hasn't been consistent their entire career and make them consistent? Their lack of consistency is what differentiates them from the very good pitchers. 

What pitchers has Butcher failed with in your opinion?

Nobody else saw it?  Was a guy in uniform with a big thick goatee that looked like him.  Definitely wasn't a player or any of the usual coaches.

I went back and looked. After the commercial break, the same guy was walking away from the camera with the name Kelley on the back. So not Percival.

I'm not arguing that he has failed any pitcher. I'm saying that the good ones can take a talented but inconsistent pitcher and help them become consistent. He is average if that.

I disagree with that premise in large part, but for the sake of discussion, who are the talented and inconsistent pitchers that he hasn't helped become consistent?

And, I would assume that average at any particular ability at the big league level is actually pretty damn good. Who are the above average pitching coaches that you feel make talented but inconsistent pitchers become consistent?

Who has he helped? Who has come here and performed better? I like the guy but he is replaceable.

Why would someone come here and do better than what they have shown in their entire career or under other coaching? I don't get this kind of expectation from the coaching staff. How often does that happen on any team with any pitching coach? Who has come here and performed consistently worse?

All coaches are replaceable that doesn't mean they should be replaced. 

At the big league level, it's more about between the ears than mechanics. That's not to say tweaking a guy's mechanics aren't addressed from time to time. But (and this makes me wanna mouth-vomit) I agree with LT on his point about when guys get up to the show, they pretty much have their shit dialed in mechanics wise, classic delivery or not. On his point about which pitching coach has really made a difference, consistency-wise, for some guys, I would suggest Dave Duncan, Leo Mazzone, Roger Craig, Dave Wallace, Rick Anderson, Rick Peterson, Joe Kerrigan, John Farrell, Orel Hershiser, Bill Fischer, Bud Black, Larry Rotschchild, Marcel Lachemann, Galen Cisco, Art Fowler, Mike Maddux, Ray Miller just to name many. I'm well aware that most of these guys also had some studs to coach in their time, but most of these guys were also able to crowbar some pretty nice performances from some otherwise nondescript pitchers. Examples? Here ya go:

Duncan: Pineiro, Lohse, Kile

Mazzone: Neagle, Burkett, Ortiz, Wright

Craig: Reuschel, Mike Scott, Donnie Moore

Wallace: Martinez Brothers, Hershiser

Anderson: Hernandez, Pavano

I would love to keep Googling, but I gotta split...I guess my point is, I like Mike Butcher. He will always have equity with me because of the way he handled the Adenhart tragedy, but I don't think he is a difference maker as a big league pitching coach. And I don't think it's about helping with a guys delivery, I think it's because, from what I heard, (Jepsen is a Reno guy, he's a friend of a friend, and it may be BS) he's an asshole. we've seen glimpses of it in some of his soundbites ("I sleep just fine"). Who knows for sure about that part, but I can't name one guy who came here and either:

A. Got Better

B. Continued his previous trajectory (outside of Pineiros 1st year here)

I could be way off, I'm on vacation, I have had a few beers.

Shayne Kelley. Hamilton's "accountability partner"

Thank you, this question was bugging me too.  I see him hanging around the dugout all the time at the home games.  Interesting that they actually need him in the dugout during games.  The more you learn about Hamilton the more complex this guy becomes.

Bottom line is nobody cares what goes on behind the scenes with Hamilton if he's performing well.  

This guy almost lost everything from his addictions.  Does anyone really think he shouldn't do everything he possibly can to stay clean?

Did notice today that Hamilton is chewing again.  At least that is what it looked like he spit out during a close up during one of his at bats.  If it wasn't chew, he should go see a doctor immediately, because it was nasty looking.