• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 26-man Roster Battle Thread

Chuck

I thought it would be best to create a thread to keep up with who may make the roster out of spring. There's some compelling cases for some of our prospects and Davidson vs. Canning could be something to watch for the 6th spot in the rotation. 

Who has stood out to you thus far? 

Here's some to watch: 

Matt Thaiss vs. Logan O'Hoppe

Mickey Moniak vs. Brett Phillips

Livan Soto vs. Andrew Velazquez 

Tucker Davidson vs. Griffin Canning

Ben Joyce, Kolton Ingram, Luke Murphy, Kenny Rosenberg and Jacob Webb are all having good springs as far as the bullpen goes. 

Trey Cabbage, Taylor Jones, Jake Lamb are all having good springs as well. 

48 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Perry already said Phillips is the 4th outfielder, so this isn’t a battle.

49 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Really tough to see which way they’re leaning. I wouldn’t be surprised if they find a way to carry all three of Thaiss, O’Hoppe, and Stassi on the opening day roster. But an injury would have to occur for that to be possible.

53 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

As of now, there’s not a spot for either on the roster. When they just need someone to be on the bench as a defensive replacement, I think Velazquez gets the call first because he’s more polished defensively and it’s more important for Soto to get everyday reps.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I remain rather bullish on Paris - I think he's going to be a good major leaguer.

He’s one of the prospects I’m most excited to see this season. I’m anxious to see if he continues his second-half success from last season.

The K% is high, but he’s also so, so young. Also, hopefully he can stay healthy and play a full season.

20 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I've heard GM's and coaches say one thing at the start of spring training only to reverse it based on spring peformances. So while Brett Phillips will most likely win that 4th spot, I never say never anymore.. Especially after witnessing some ugly at bats early on from Phillips. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I've heard GM's and coaches say one thing at the start of spring training only to reverse it based on spring peformances. So while Brett Phillips will most likely win that 4th spot, I never say never anymore.. Especially after witnessing some ugly at bats early on from Phillips. 

The thing is, he’s getting paid 1.2 million.

Are they really gonna cut him and waste 1.2 million because of a poor spring during which he’s using a brand new swing?

His defense, speed, and clubhouse reputation also help to offset bad offense.

Just now, Trendon said:

The thing is, he’s getting paid 1.2 million.

Are they really gonna cut him and waste 1.2 million because of a poor spring during which he’s using a brand new swing?

His defense, speed, and clubhouse reputation also help to offset bad offense.

Yeah doubtful, but if he can't hit and Moniak rips the cover off the ball...who knows? 

5 hours ago, Trendon said:

Really tough to see which way they’re leaning. I wouldn’t be surprised if they find a way to carry all three of Thaiss, O’Hoppe, and Stassi on the opening day roster. But an injury would have to occur for that to be possible.

As of now, there’s not a spot for either on the roster. When they just need someone to be on the bench as a defensive replacement, I think Velazquez gets the call first because he’s more polished defensively and it’s more important for Soto to get everyday reps.

Another 5 or 6 strikeouts for Phillips and the job is his

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah doubtful, but if he can't hit and Moniak rips the cover off the ball...who knows? 

I think the guaranteed MLB deal means Phillips at least starts as the 4th outfielder. But if he's not cutting it after a little while and someone else is tearing it up in AAA, they could easily move on.

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I thought it would be best to create a thread to keep up with who may make the roster out of spring. There's some compelling cases for some of our prospects and Davidson vs. Canning could be something to watch for the 6th spot in the rotation. 

Who has stood out to you thus far? 

Here's some to watch: 

Tucker Davidson vs. Griffin Canning

Ben Joyce, Kolton Ingram, Luke Murphy, Kenny Rosenberg and Jacob Webb are all having good springs as far as the bullpen goes. 

Trey Cabbage, Taylor Jones, Jake Lamb are all having good springs as well. 

So many of the prospects are having good springs. Especially the pitchers. I am going to predict that 3 of the 4 farm teams make the playoffs this season. Last season 2 of the teams made the playoffs. I think this year one more team makes it.