• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno announces he is no longer looking to sell the Angels

mmc

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think a new stadium in LA county is on the table, but realistically the Angels are already in the best spot possible for them geographically. Anything north of Cypress is already Dodger country and south of San Clemente is a whole lot of nothing until you get into San Diego. Moving north takes them further from the fan base. and moving south doesnt really get them any closer to anything.

Just to play devils advocate here.  But is in LA proper really out of the question?  Clippers moved here.  Chargers moved here.  They are dwarfed by their counterparts, but financially it works for them.  

If you build closer to LA, a new stadium, would you still fill it up?  Would you fill it up easier than the 2k fans that attended last season, even though they say that number was much higher?  (sarcasm on that part, but we all know his numbers are way off)  Is there enough that will still buy season tickets from the OC, in addition to maybe the lot that can't buy or afford Doggie season tickets.  Would it be an easier sell on TV rights?  

I would not be surprised if Vegas or Downtown LA or staying in Anaheim was announced as the next place for the Angels.  

3 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Just to play devils advocate here.  But is in LA proper really out of the question?  Clippers moved here.  Chargers moved here.  They are dwarfed by their counterparts, but financially it works for them.  

If you build closer to LA, a new stadium, would you still fill it up?  Would you fill it up easier than the 2k fans that attended last season, even though they say that number was much higher?  (sarcasm on that part, but we all know his numbers are way off)  Is there enough that will still buy season tickets from the OC, in addition to maybe the lot that can't buy or afford Doggie season tickets.  Would it be an easier sell on TV rights?  

I would not be surprised if Vegas or Downtown LA or staying in Anaheim was announced as the next place for the Angels.  

They won't move downtown, Long Beach is the most likely if they move to LA County

11 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think a new stadium in LA county is on the table, but realistically the Angels are already in the best spot possible for them geographically. Anything north of Cypress is already Dodger country and south of San Clemente is a whole lot of nothing until you get into San Diego. Moving north takes them further from the fan base. and moving south doesnt really get them any closer to anything.

I agree. The current stadium location is the ideal spot from a business standpoint and for the vast majority of the fan base. It's just hard to see Arte successfully negotiating a new stadium deal after the events of the last 3 years. Long Beach or Carson has to be on the table and LA county is the place he could take the team that wouldn't significantly decrease the value of the team. It'll be an interesting season on the field and off it.

He had 20 effin years to "finish his business"

You know, I'm glad the last two GM's have made some improvements - but I still think most of the front-office think this is an amusement park, not a baseball team, and I remain unconvinced that Arte will resource the team adequately - not just payroll, but all the entire scouting and development operation and front-office (can't wait for the next "Angels are so cheap ..." article to be published) 

This was the worst-case, really - we keep Arte, and any serious bidding group is now probably pissed at the time and money invested, so when he changes his mind again, they'll be like "Fool me once ...."

4 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Well the thing is, they are already "LA" so it becomes a question of marginal benefit if they move north.

If they build the Long Beach stadium I really cant see the OC soccer moms taking their kids out to the park. In fact I can see a significant amount of the current fan base swearing off the team for a move like that. 

7 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I don't think Vegas is on the table. Moving them there would cut the value of the franchise significantly simply based on market potential/population compared to LA/OC. Who knows though, maybe Arte doesn't care so much about the value of the franchise now that he's decided to keep it? 

Arte was always known as one of the most passionate owners who wanted to win, it always struck me as odd that he wanted to sell. I think the emotional letdown of another failed season he reacted in the moment like a fan and once time went by realized he didn’t actually want to leave behind baseball. 

Yea it sucks we might not get a Steve Cohen type but as long as Arte increases payroll and stops forcing Pujols/Rendon types on his GM I’m gonna just shrug and continue on.