• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno announces he is no longer looking to sell the Angels

mmc

20 minutes ago, mmc said:

Might just be overthinking it but it stands out to me that Arte didn't say anything about Anaheim in that statement

My fear with any new ownership group was that they would come in and move the team into LA County, as difficult as that would be to do. But I at least thought new ownership would be able hit 'reset' with the City of Anaheim. Arte's relationship with the city seems terrible and I'm almost more worried about the Angels staying in Anaheim/OC long-term with him at the helm. 

Just now, angelsnationtalk said:

That's great. and so was the Trout contract. But still no playoffs. 
Arte has a top payroll but puts zero money anywhere else. Lather. Rinse. Repeat as long as he's an owner.

How much did we just spend on international free agents? If you don't think there have been improvements, you lack objectivity. I'm not saying Arte is suddenly a perfect owner, or that I'm pleased about today's news, but to blindly pretend he hasn't made some changes is just absurd. 

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I would be really surprised if Arte allows Minasian to trade Ohtani under any circumstances. 

IIRC, an article said Arte was going to trade Ohtani last trade deadline but then changed his mind because he'd decided to sell the team. Why wouldn't he sell him if he's going to walk for nothing. Arte's a billionaire, not a moron. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

How much did we just spend on international free agents? If you don't think there have been improvements, you lack objectivity. I'm not saying Arte is suddenly a perfect owner, or that I'm pleased about today's news, but to blindly pretend he hasn't made some changes is just absurd. 

About half of what we gave Baldoquin.

2 minutes ago, Spirit_of_02 said:

My fear with any new ownership group was that they would come in and move the team into LA County, as difficult as that would be to do. But I at least thought new ownership would be able hit 'reset' with the City of Anaheim. Arte's relationship with the city seems terrible and I'm almost more worried about the Angels staying in Anaheim/OC long-term with him at the helm. 

I think a new stadium in LA county is on the table, but realistically the Angels are already in the best spot possible for them geographically. Anything north of Cypress is already Dodger country and south of San Clemente is a whole lot of nothing until you get into San Diego. Moving north takes them further from the fan base. and moving south doesnt really get them any closer to anything.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

He has as much time as he wants.  He just has to lock up Ohtani if he delays the sale.

Easier said than done.  Ohtani could have a blind deaf and dumb agent, and even he'd know he has a blank check in his hand from any team in the league.  Whether he stays, or whether he gets traded, Ohtani will play for the team HE wants to play for next season, at a record setting salary.  Angels fans only hope that means we are still in contention.  But if the past is any indication.  Angels are just going to be a pawn in the bidding war.

5 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

IIRC, an article said Arte was going to trade Ohtani last trade deadline but then changed his mind because he'd decided to sell the team. Why wouldn't he sell him if he's going to walk for nothing. Arte's a billionaire, not a moron. 

I'm not sold on your last point. When have the Angels traded anyone of consequence on an expiring contract in the Arte era? They couldn't even bring themselves to trade Iglesias without first giving him stupid money. The issue is that the decision is not so cut and dry. I'm sure Ohtani will still be verbally open to returning to the Angels in the offseason and Arte probably wont think he's out of it until he gets the news that Shohei signed with the Dodgers.