• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno announces he is no longer looking to sell the Angels

mmc

14 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I have to wonder that if during the due diligence process it became apparent that there were multiple ways to increase revenue, expand the brand and improve upon what they are doing.  In other words, they realized they were missing out on significant revenue opportunities that could increase the overall valuation of the franchise in short order.  

I am skeptical that this 'change of heart' has to do with anything but money.  He's always seemed to be a bottom line guy and while he's been willing to spend on major league payroll, it's always had a pretty clear line and at the financial sacrifice of other areas.  

I just think that someone did the math on Arte's side and was like hey, if we spend this for the next few years, it'll be worth this.  

Let's just hope that the realization on this is actually beneficial to the long term health of this franchise.  

As usual, I agree 100% with Doc.

Re-signing Ohtani, while a financial obligation, yes, is also a cost certainty. And having the most popular MLB player in Asia, well, thats revenue. This is necessary.

Second, improving the minor league system, and getting a better organization in place, will improve the team. The Dodgers are the #1 team in the market, of course, but I see Angels hats and T-Shirts for sale all over LA along side far more Dodgers merchandise, but I never saw that as a kid outside of when we'd visit OC. Improving the brand and the team's success will increase revenue and ultimately the sales price. Improving the development system improves the team, and thus the brand.

Third, is the stadium situation. This needs to be resolved and a new owner will see it as an asset instead of a problem to be solved.

The Dodgers were purchased for $2B in 2012, and Forbes has them rated at $4.075B as of last March. https://www.forbes.com/teams/los-angeles-dodgers/?sh=7e670b9f23ae

Angels are valued at $2.2B in same March 2022 article. https://www.forbes.com/teams/los-angeles-angels/?sh=16d857e1718a

The big difference? Stadium, for one, and while he had a sweetheart deal disrupted, he can partner with the other Anaheim heavyweight and get that entire platinum triangle land redeveloped and get a new stadium. (Yes I see Disney wanting a third gate and that is the only parcel in Anaheim that they could feasibly build one on without significant bulldozing, Moreno could partner with Disney to get a new Stadium in exchange for the land lease). 

They can significantly increase their valuation and what a new owner will have to spend if they work on the end product a little and get solid plans in place with Ohtani, the organization, and the stadium.

Edited by Hubs

13 hours ago, YouthofToday said:

I used to post here pretty frequently. I used to watch 100+ games a year. The Napoli trade really negatively impacted how much time I allocated to angels baseball. The Albertross contract further reduced my interest.

I have watched maybe 10 games in the last 5 years. This team outside of Trout and Ohtani is just boring.

Ownership is clearly clueless and can’t figure out how to make an expanded playoffs with 2 of the best players in baseball history.

It’s stunning how incompetent the team has been for the last decade. Almost hard to be this bad. 

It is funny...

We haven't seen you (really) for Trout MVPs... Ohtanis breakout and dominance afterwards... emergence of young exciting pitching...

Arte Moreno brought YOT back!

Everyone can say what they want. But Arte brings us together at least.

Welcome back by the way

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

It's crazy... just a decade ago (long time, but not really), Arte was God. Got us the mega media deal, signed Pujols, etc etc.

Crazy how what should have been a decade of us being top tier, we took massive steps backwards.

And that was WITH Trout...

WTF hapenned, that’s what I keep thinking.

4 minutes ago, Revad said:

WTF hapenned, that’s what I keep thinking.

I’ve got a plan for this:  let’s put Doc, AJ and Second Base in a room (with tequila but no blow) and ask them to explain all that went went wrong in a way Artie can understand.  Just a little multimedia report.  Hell, think of our relievers….  There’s some baseball guys on AW.  Of course we have Chuck, our player/manager.  Personally, I think I’m  pretty far down the list.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Since Arte cares more about year to year payroll I wonder if he’s considering offering Ohtani some CRAZY amount of money will low first couple of year salaries and deferrals he can pass onto the new owner when he does sell. 

who's to say he didn't just increase payroll this one year to lure Ohtani into a long term deal and then next year he'll just drop it back down again.  

11 hours ago, Revad said:

I’ve got a plan for this:  let’s put Doc, AJ and Second Base in a room (with tequila but no blow) and ask them to explain all that went went wrong in a way Artie can understand.  Just a little multimedia report.  Hell, think of our relievers….  There’s some baseball guys on AW.  Of course we have Chuck, our player/manager.  Personally, I think I’m  pretty far down the list.

So one (at least) of them have a bit too much tequila.  I mean, it happens.  So here comes Chuck, he takes a look around and says: Paging IP, paging IP and AO.  TG, I need your help.  Get into the control room now!

4 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen, with all the calls/non-calls going in the Chiefs favor. Not saying it's rigged, just really poorly officiated. 

But those two teams, I was texting my girl friend:  tied 20-20 13 min left.  Tied and 9 minutes left.  Tied and 5 minutes left.  Tied and 1:22 left… I was rooting for KC.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:08 PM, Revad said:

So one (at least) of them have a bit too much tequila.  I mean, it happens.  So here comes Chuck, he takes a look around and says: Paging IP, paging IP and AO.  TG, I need your help.  Get into the control room now!

Chuck’s not pissed, he’s disappointed they drank all the tequila.  But that ok, it’s not like it’s Jack Daniel’s or anything.