• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno announces he is no longer looking to sell the Angels

mmc

2 hours ago, Lhalo said:

This is hilariously stupid. Tim played for a world championship team made of mostly home grown scrappy players not flash in the pan FA burnouts.

Sele was one of the few FA's signed that year and by 2003 he was on the disabled list and his career fell off a cliff.

2002 was one of the luckiest years ever in the sense that the roster played better than they were.  Good health, career years, final good years up and down the roster.  Those that built the team were fortunate that it all came together and continued in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, ScottT said:

2002 was one of the luckiest years ever in the sense that the roster played better than they were.  Good health, career years, final good years up and down the roster.  Those that built the team were fortunate that it all came together and continued in the playoffs.

So, what you are saying is, with a little luck, the Angels can win the WS this year. Then Arte can sell the team, buy the movies rights for his life, and say see you at the Oscars.

35 minutes ago, Sully151 said:

So, what you are saying is, with a little luck, the Angels can win the WS this year. Then Arte can sell the team, buy the movies rights for his life, and say see you at the Oscars.

Movie title: "Go Bold or Go Home" 

22 hours ago, wopphil said:

Does this upset you as much as it upsets me? What a stupid decision to discontinue that thing. My Del taco consumption has dropped like 80 percent the last six months. 

I haven't been to Del Taco in almost a year and this is the worst news I've heard so far in 2023. Absolute garbage. Still a sucker for those grilled chicken tacos tho.

19 hours ago, YouthofToday said:

#ArteOut.

I’m at the point where I will no longer watch or attend games until he is gone.

Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

See you on the boards on the evening of March 30th...

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

What if the Angels announced they signed Trevor Bauer today, a day after Arte decided not to sell the team?

I think it would be awesome, we could use a guy like that who works hard and wants to win on our starting rotation. I think it's absolutely ridiculous we haven't already locked him up.

14 hours ago, Kotchman said:

The nfl is a prime example of analytical group think. For the last 10-15 years teams have bent over backwards tryimg to get the next mobile qb so the coach can impress us with these RPOs and two point conversion strategies. It’s worked about twice with Wilson and mahomes. Nobody stops to realize the other 13 Super Bowls have been won by the traditional flat footed white slinging it from the pocket. 
Im not opposed to using data but it can lead  to group think.  I use data on my weather app daily. That said it’s still important to use my own eyes and ears with snow and thunderstorms. Blindly following the forecast app can put you in some dangerous situations in the Midwest. 

Agree 100%

Data is am important tool.  Its not a religion.

6 hours ago, ScottT said:

It did come after finishing the previous year losing 19 of the last 21 games.

9 hours ago, Trendon said:

My predictions for what happens next:

- The Angels don’t reach an extension with Ohtani before the deadline.

- They decide to keep him past the deadline.

- They miss the playoffs.

- Nevin is let go, and Minasian hires a new manager.

- Then they miss the playoffs again in 2024, and Minasian gets fired.

- Carpino leads his fourth unsuccessful GM search, once again hiring a first-time GM.

- Carpino quietly gets extended sometime before his contract expires in 2024.

One correction, that’s Crapino.

2 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

You know you can get the chicken tacos on a hard shell and it’s weird but good at the same time. 

Yeah, I got one of those a few years ago on accident (like they gave me someone else's), and it was delicious. The shell compliments the chicken well

9 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

See you on the boards on the evening of March 30th...

I used to post here pretty frequently. I used to watch 100+ games a year. The Napoli trade really negatively impacted how much time I allocated to angels baseball. The Albertross contract further reduced my interest.

I have watched maybe 10 games in the last 5 years. This team outside of Trout and Ohtani is just boring.

Ownership is clearly clueless and can’t figure out how to make an expanded playoffs with 2 of the best players in baseball history.

It’s stunning how incompetent the team has been for the last decade. Almost hard to be this bad. 

3 minutes ago, YouthofToday said:

Ownership is clearly clueless and can’t figure out how to make an expanded playoffs with 2 of the best players in baseball history.

Pretty simple when their support cast is 5 of the worst hitting players in baseball.

Thought this was interesting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2023/01/24/angels-arte-moreno-walked-away-from-the-highest-sale-price-in-baseball-history/?sh=412736795c01

The interested parties, one of whom was from Japan, all had bank accounts big enough to write a check for the team, according to the sources, who requested anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak. One of the potential bidders went so far as to hire an architect and construction firm to visit Angel Stadium in Anaheim to examine how renovating the 57-year-old ballpark could boost revenue. (A $117 million spruce-upwas done in 1998.) Prospective bidders believed value could be added elsewhere, such as naming rights for the ballpark (perhaps $10 million a year) and a mixed-use development around the stadium, on the 150 acres of parking lot space owned by the city of Anaheim but controlled by the team via its lease agreement with the city, good through 2038.

I have to wonder that if during the due diligence process it became apparent that there were multiple ways to increase revenue, expand the brand and improve upon what they are doing.  In other words, they realized they were missing out on significant revenue opportunities that could increase the overall valuation of the franchise in short order.  

I am skeptical that this 'change of heart' has to do with anything but money.  He's always seemed to be a bottom line guy and while he's been willing to spend on major league payroll, it's always had a pretty clear line and at the financial sacrifice of other areas.  

I just think that someone did the math on Arte's side and was like hey, if we spend this for the next few years, it'll be worth this.  

Let's just hope that the realization on this is actually beneficial to the long term health of this franchise.