• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno announces he is no longer looking to sell the Angels

mmc

12 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I look at the longview buddy.

He was one of the most beloved owners and quite successful during his first decade as owner of the Angels. 

During Arte's 8-year slump in missing out on the playoffs he signed Trout to two extensions, the last one for life. Signed the World Series MVP Anthony Rendon. Earned the trust of Shohei Ohtani to sign with the Angels. He just pushed the payroll up to a franchise record this offseason. 

If he signs Ohtani to an extension and the Angels are competitive this season and make the playoffs, will you give Arte credit where it's due @Taylor

I do give Arte credit for his first eight or nine seasons as owner. He was a great owner at first. But starting around the time of the Vernon Wells trade, he began inserting himself into baseball operations in ways that hurt the franchise. And the results since the 2015 season are evidence that his ownership was no longer helping the team.

4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Chuckles. Why are you bringing politics into this, dude? 

I do give Arte credit for his first eight or nine seasons as owner. He was a great owner at first. But starting around the time of the Vernon Wells trade, he began inserting himself into baseball operations in ways that hurt the franchise. And the results since the 2015 season are evidence that his ownership was no longer helping the team.

By the time he appeared with Trump I had been souring on him for years.

Fair enough. 

Are people forgetting Maddon’s criticisms of the organization?

The Angels simply don’t have a coherent baseball strategy. Free agency and trades are seemingly based off Arte’s emotions and whomever he dislikes at the moment (Boras).

I knew this was going to be bad after the Napoli/Vernon Wells trade. History has clearly shown my skepticism on the competency of this lot to be warranted. 

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

I wonder how the prospective bidders feel?

I’d be pretty mad if I spent 5 months digging into a potential purchase of the team, only for the team to get pulled off the market.

It’s relatively unimportant, but it can’t be a good thing for the future.

Doesn’t really matter. Deals like this frequently fall through. 

5 minutes ago, YouthofToday said:

Are people forgetting Maddon’s criticisms of the organization?

The Angels simply don’t have a coherent baseball strategy. Free agency and trades are seemingly based off Arte’s emotions and whomever he dislikes at the moment (Boras).

I knew this was going to be bad after the Napoli/Vernon Wells trade. History has clearly shown my skepticism on the competency of this lot to be warranted. 

No. Are fans forgetting how shitty Maddon was?

3 minutes ago, YouthofToday said:

The Angels are projected to win 78.5 games this year by most bookies. And this assumes Trout and Ohtani are with the team.

It’s remarkable how poorly this team has been put together outside of those 2 generational players since 2010. Tragic. 

I’ll take the over, how much are you willing to wager?

Just now, YouthofToday said:

Maddon wasn’t the right choice for this team. Doesn’t make his observations about the organization less valid. 

Sure it does. If the guy complaining takes zero personal responsibility, it makes his opinion come from a biased place. 

10 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I’d be pretty mad if I spent 5 months digging into a potential purchase of the team, only for the team to get pulled off the market.

I know one of the groups has a plan B ready to go after later this year.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

It might not be as bad as you think.  There are a lot of uncertainties surrounding the team.  And I have a feeling that after the initial talks, Arte realized that it was going to drive down the price of what he was going to get.  

I mean, if you were a buyer.  Would you pay a premium for a team looking at a wrongful death case, possible loss of a lucrative tv deal, possible suit from a city, and other stuff going on?  Not to mention interest rates and the economy.  

Once the climate becomes better, I bet the team comes back on the market again.  

All of this aside, now we really have to hope that Minasian is the right guy to steer this franchise.

We have a solid payroll, but we are unlikely to see a meteoric rise like the Mets and Dodgers did when they were bought out.

Winning teams CAN be generated without mega payrolls.  I think Minasian has a good vision and seems to be putting together a more complete organization.

I am disappointed Arte is around, but mediocre owners can still win titles.  Let's just hope Minasian is as good as his former boss, and we should be fine.

2 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

It might not be as bad as you think.  There are a lot of uncertainties surrounding the team.  And I have a feeling that after the initial talks, Arte realized that it was going to drive down the price of what he was going to get.  

I mean, if you were a buyer.  Would you pay a premium for a team looking at a wrongful death case, possible loss of a lucrative tv deal, possible suit from a city, and other stuff going on?  Not to mention interest rates and the economy.  

Once the climate becomes better, I bet the team comes back on the market again.  

I don’t disagree. But the lack of a long term stadium plan is a huge issue for anybody looking to acquire the club. And who knows what happens with the FBI investigation into the city of Anaheim.