• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno announces he is no longer looking to sell the Angels

mmc

It is not unheard of for an owner to field bids, then decide not to sell because the bids had fallen short. In this case, with the Angels projected to sell for a record price for a Major League Baseball franchise — at least $2.5 billion — Moreno decided over the last week to simply call off the sale without taking any bids.

As the Angels fortified their roster this winter, Moreno is said to have become reinvigorated about retaining ownership, and as such his decision was not about how many potential buyers had materialized or what they might have bid.

More than half a dozen potential buyers had expressed interest, including Joe Lacob, owner of the defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors; Patrick Soon-Shiong, owner of the Los Angeles Times; and investors from Japan. 

It is uncertain whether such a record MLB bid would have materialized. The Washington Nationals have not found a buyer despite being up for sale since April. The Baltimore Orioles and Miami Marlins could go up for sale soon, according to MLB sources who declined to be identified, and the Oakland Athletics and Tampa Bay Rays have yet to secure the new ballpark that each team has sought for more than a decade.

It also is uncertain whether an Angels bidder would have requested a price adjustment. The Angel Stadium lease expires in 2029, and an owner likely would have to choose among spending hundreds of millions of dollars in renovation costs, spending perhaps $1 billion for a new ballpark or trying to find a new home.

Tim Salmon, a member of the Angels’ Hall of Fame and a current broadcaster for the team, said he was “pleasantly surprised” by Moreno’s decision to retain ownership.

“I like Arte,” Salmon said. “I like the things he did. I’m a supporter. I think he’s an owner who is passionate about winning, and every player would love to play for someone like that.

“And I know there are misgivings that people have when something doesn’t turn out right, but at the end of the day, to wake up every winter and see the guy is signing everybody possible to make your team better … I mean, I played 10 years here where we didn’t do any of that, so the contrast is huge. And that’s why I’m a huge proponent.”

“I wouldn’t sell either,” former Angels star Torii Hunter said. “The Angels are a major league baseball club, man, they’re in Orange County, and I just think a little more marketing, a couple more wins, and that franchise is going to change.”

Hunter said he had a pretty good idea of what Moreno meant when he said he had “unfinished business.”

Said Hunter: “Pretty sure he’s talking about a championship. I mean, you got two of the best players in the world. No matter who gets signed in the offseason, they [are] still the two best players in the world, right? Maybe you do need some pitching. So he probably has a plan, and I’m hoping that plan is within the next year or two, because the Angels are still my team.”

4 minutes ago, mmc said:

Tim Salmon, a member of the Angels’ Hall of Fame and a current broadcaster for the team, said he was “pleasantly surprised” by Moreno’s decision to retain ownership.

“I like Arte,” Salmon said. “I like the things he did. I’m a supporter. I think he’s an owner who is passionate about winning, and every player would love to play for someone like that.

“And I know there are misgivings that people have when something doesn’t turn out right, but at the end of the day, to wake up every winter and see the guy is signing everybody possible to make your team better … I mean, I played 10 years here where we didn’t do any of that, so the contrast is huge. And that’s why I’m a huge proponent.”

What do you expect Tim Salmon to say? He’s on Arte’s payroll. 

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

What is worse I come back before  Feb 1 or Arte not selling team?

I was wondering if you were gonna post, given this big news.

Too bad you were self-banned, or you would’ve broken that big news was coming a few days ago.

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The news obviously sucks, but I feel numb to it and am not surprised.

I don’t think anyone should be defending Arte. He’s done countless bad things that significantly outweigh any good things he’s done.

The most important thing Arte could do outside of delivering a title is securing a long term stadium deal that stabilizes this franchise. He has been floundering on this for a decade+ now. All he does publicly is complain on the lack of corporate welfare from local governments to build or develop anything. It’s pathetic. 

1 minute ago, YouthofToday said:

The most important thing Arte could do outside of delivering a title is securing a long term stadium deal that stabilizes this franchise. He has been floundering on this for a decade+ now. All he does publicly is complain on the lack of corporate welfare from local governments to build or develop anything. It’s pathetic. 

He seems very entitled and prone to tantrums when things don't go his way. It's something his generation is known for.

22 minutes ago, mmc said:

“I wouldn’t sell either,” former Angels star Torii Hunter said. “The Angels are a major league baseball club, man, they’re in Orange County, and I just think a little more marketing, a couple more wins, and that franchise is going to change.”

Hunter said he had a pretty good idea of what Moreno meant when he said he had “unfinished business.”

Said Hunter: “Pretty sure he’s talking about a championship. I mean, you got two of the best players in the world. No matter who gets signed in the offseason, they [are] still the two best players in the world, right? Maybe you do need some pitching. So he probably has a plan, and I’m hoping that plan is within the next year or two, because the Angels are still my team.”

I thought he was talking about screwing over the organization and fan base one more time.

12 hours ago, Taylor said:

Now do the last eight seasons.

I look at the longview buddy.

He was one of the most beloved owners and quite successful during his first decade as owner of the Angels. 

During Arte's 8-year slump in missing out on the playoffs he signed Trout to two extensions, the last one for life. Signed the World Series MVP Anthony Rendon. Earned the trust of Shohei Ohtani to sign with the Angels. He just pushed the payroll up to a franchise record this offseason. 

If he signs Ohtani to an extension and the Angels are competitive this season and make the playoffs, will you give Arte credit where it's due @Taylor

12 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I look at the longview buddy.

He was one of the most beloved owners and quite successful during his first decade as owner of the Angels. 

During Arte's 8-year slump in missing out on the playoffs he signed Trout to two extensions, the last one for life. Signed the World Series MVP Anthony Rendon. Earned the trust of Shohei Ohtani to sign with the Angels. He just pushed the payroll up to a franchise record this offseason. 

If he signs Ohtani to an extension and the Angels are competitive this season and make the playoffs, will you give Arte credit where it's due @Taylor

I think it mostly has to do with zero World Series wins or even appearances.

2 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I think it mostly has to do with zero World Series wins or even appearances.

Everyone of those playoff teams during his tenure could have advanced to the World Series. 

It's a crapshoot. Look how well the Dodgers were built last year. Missed it. Same goes for the Braves, Yankees. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Everyone of those playoff teams during his tenure could have advanced to the World Series. 

It's a crapshoot. Look how well the Dodgers were built last year. Missed it. Same goes for the Braves, Yankees. 

All of those teams have won a World Series while Moreno has been the owner of the Angels.

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Still a crapshoot. Those Angels teams were bad ass. It's not Arte's fault they didn't deliver on the field. 

He put a winning club together. 

Those teams STILL won though and he has been TERRIBLE since 2009. Bad FA signing after bad FA signing. We don't have to go down that road again. He clearly lost whatever magic he had 2004-2009. 2010 on, he's just flat out been an owner that doesn't hire the right people and doesn't know how to get to the playoffs or win a WS. I can't believe people can't see the facts right in front of them. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Still a crapshoot. Those Angels teams were bad ass. It's not Arte's fault they didn't deliver on the field. 

He put a winning club together. 

He didn't put the winning club together.  He bought a winning club.  He just was fortunate to add players, mainly Vlad, and inherit a very strong farm system.  After the farm was gutted, and the splashes made, we have his club.