• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

6th Starter

I went through the actual starts with days off and Ohtani going every 6th day. 

It gets Ohtani to 30 starts, a little more aggressive and he could be at 31 or 32. 

Anderson and Sandoval would be at 29. Detmers in the 4th spot at 28 and Suarez at 26. Canning or whomever is in the 6th spot was at 20. 

I expect they'd even out Suarez and Canning..but if Suarez is throwing better. And Canning may split with Silseth or whomever. Plus there will be skipped starts and injuries. Even if they only used 10 starters, I'd be amazed.

38 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

What is the perceived preferred order in which starters 6-12 is utilized?

Obviously partially depends on Canning’s and CRod’s health.

The pool of 6-12 starters to start 2023?

Silseth, Canning, CRod, Barria (spot starts),  Bush, Diaz, and Davidson?

Health.  Proximity to days off.  Early vs. late in the year.  Who's turn it is in AAA.  How rested is the pen otherwise.  Etc.  

And it depends on who makes the squad and what options they have.  

Then later in the year it's gonna depend on innings loads and who's pitching well in the minors.  

Lots of moving parts on a game to game or week to week basis.  

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

What is the perceived preferred order in which starters 6-12 is utilized?

Obviously partially depends on Canning’s and CRod’s health.

The pool of 6-12 starters to start 2023?

Silseth, Canning, CRod, Barria (spot starts),  Bush, Diaz, and Davidson?

I don't think Barria is a realistic rotation option anymore.

The pecking order likely begins with starters who've had MLB success already (Canning, Rodriguez) and those out of options (Davidson). Then it moves to guys on the 40-man (Silseth, Daniel). And finally guys not on the 40-man (Bush, Diaz, Rosenberg)

7 hours ago, Trendon said:

What is the point of this thread?

There's no chance that all the starters are healthy and everyone is able to make their starts in a planned order.

Are you asking who the 6th starter is gonna be?

My main takeaway was how many starts #6 has to get, so that's what I'm going with. 

I'd actually love to see both Canning and CRod slide into the pen. I think Canning can become an effective reliever; his body may not be built for 150 innings. He can let loose with his FB a bit (95-96?) and keep his CH around 89-90. CRod we know. They'll let them both attempt starting, but I feel this sets them up for success better. 

We aren't going to have a 6-man rotation forever. Even this year, I feel it will not be a true 6-man. So use this slot to try new things--be it young guys like Silseth, Daniel, Crow, and maybe even Erla--or piggyback, do bullpen games, etc. I'd stay away from Bush and Bachman to keep their years under control until they are 100% ready. I know they won't do this and the biggest Spring storyline will likely be the battle for spot #6, although I hope it isn't because we've acquired another starter by then. But I like giving some of these guys a chance to prove themselves and possibly earn another start or two. Also beefs up the bullpen big time. 

10 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I'd actually love to see both Canning and CRod slide into the pen. I think Canning can become an effective reliever; his body may not be built for 150 innings.

Canning has only been a starter in his career, so I’m not sure if it’d be a good idea to throw him off that starter’s routine that’s he used to to. Especially when he’s coming back from an injury.

If he’s healthy, I’d just use him as a starter and get as many starts as I can out of him (assuming his performance is OK).

10 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I know they won't do this and the biggest Spring storyline will likely be the battle for spot #6, although I hope it isn't because we've acquired another starter by then. But I like giving some of these guys a chance to prove themselves and possibly earn another start or two. Also beefs up the bullpen big time. 

I also hope they add a 6th SP, but I think that if they were gonna do so, they would’ve done so already.

If they don’t add anyone, I’d love to see Silseth step up and earn the 6th spot after getting his feet wet last season.

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

Canning has only been a starter in his career, so I’m not sure if it’d be a good idea to throw him off that starter’s routine that’s he used to to. Especially when he’s coming back from an injury.

If he’s healthy, I’d just use him as a starter and get as many starts as I can out of him (assuming his performance is OK).

I also hope they add a 6th SP, but I think that if they were gonna do so, they would’ve done so already.

If they don’t add anyone, I’d love to see Silseth step up and earn the 6th spot after getting his feet wet last season.

Has to have more movement on his 4 seamer though, too flat and thus gopher ball susceptible.

The good news is him turning only 23 in May.

Edited by Angel Oracle

The post was meant to show that they are able to get 30 starts out of Ohtani by going every 6th day.

I know that they won't all make their starts. 

In order to get Ohtani to 32 starts, say, they will have to occasionally pitch him on 4 days rest.

The 6th starter role might get 20 starts. That would be the max if they are modifiying the rotation to Pitch Ohtani, Sandoval, and Anderson every 6th day. They said this about Ohtani, but I feel they will do it with the other two as well.

Bottom line, we don't need an expensive 6th starter. I doubt they sign Wacha unless there is an injury.

I have it being Canning, Silseth, and occasionally being Barria. Nine starters used.

That would be ideal. Perhaps in the second half, Bachman, Bush or another minor leaguer comes up.  

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Old Hoss Radbourn started 73 games--all complete--and pitched 678.2 innings one year, with a 1.38 ERA and 60 wins. Just sayin.

(He probably also never threw a pitch over 85 miles per hour)

Ray Caldwell was struck by lightning on the pitchers mound and needed to be resusitated. After coming back to, he finished the game. 

#Durable

On 1/18/2023 at 1:38 PM, Hubs said:

The post was meant to show that they are able to get 30 starts out of Ohtani by going every 6th day.

I know that they won't all make their starts. 

In order to get Ohtani to 32 starts, say, they will have to occasionally pitch him on 4 days rest.

The 6th starter role might get 20 starts. That would be the max if they are modifiying the rotation to Pitch Ohtani, Sandoval, and Anderson every 6th day. They said this about Ohtani, but I feel they will do it with the other two as well.

Bottom line, we don't need an expensive 6th starter. I doubt they sign Wacha unless there is an injury.

I have it being Canning, Silseth, and occasionally being Barria. Nine starters used.

That would be ideal. Perhaps in the second half, Bachman, Bush or another minor leaguer comes up.  

I think some version of this is what they are going to do. Payroll is at $206 M.