• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

31 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I picked Jackson because I totally forgot he skipped high A and went straight to AA last year from A.  He also dropped his K rate dramatically in 2022.  I think they were working on something with him last year and we're gonna see the positive results of that this year.  

Speaking of aggressive promotions, 

Livan Soto was the 3rd youngest position player in the southern league last year with more than 350 PA.  And the youngest over 500 PA
Jackson was the 7th youngest with more than 350 PA
Maitan was 9th youngest.  Lots of seats still available on the Maitan bandwagon and @Second Base is driving.  

candace cameron bure GIF by Fuller House

36 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

they seem to be pushing this guy pretty hard and fast.  Undrafted out of Clemson.  Seems to have some pop.  Clearly has speed.  Whiffs at near a 40% clip but his D must be very impressive for them to have him skip A+ and force Adams to a corner when he was in AA.  Plus they sent him to the AFL so they're workin' on something with him.  

@taylorblakeward thoughts?  

Maybe it's a less than subtle way to tell Adams to get comfortable in the corners in advance of his career as Brett Phillips' replacement

As far as who I believe will truly have their breakouts... That's hard to say. 

#1-10: I'm tempted to say O'Hoppe because I think he's going to be one of the best young catchers in baseball. But it's that really a breakout after his performance last year? I also want to say Kyren Paris because I think he's underrated by almost everyone. So...I guess I'll pick Sam Bachman. Because everyone thinks he's a bust. I think he'll come back, be relatively healthy and show 95-97 as a starter to go with a slider and change that will work at major league level. Ultimately I still think he's a reliever, but for 2023, I think Bachman will be better than 2022. 

11-20: I'm tempted to pick Ben Joyce because he'll eventually make it to the bigs. I could pick Caden Dana too, because I like what I see there. Madden is the easy choice, so I'll go with Jordyn Adams. Next year, his power stroke will come along, and when combined with his 80 grade speed and solid defense, he's going to be exciting to watch. The hit tool may never develop, but I do think I'm 2022 we stop doubting whether or not he's a major leaguer. 

21-30: I'm gonna be bold and take Michael Stefanic. He's going to hit .350 with an OBP closer to .500 than .400 in AAA, and after failing to get the production they're hoping for from 2B (Drury will be playing 1B and Urshela super utility), they'll turn to Stefanic when one of their current 2B hit the IL. Stefanic will come in and hit .330 with lots of doubles, and then the Angels will have a good problem on their hands when everyone is healthy. 

6 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I picked Jackson because I totally forgot he skipped high A and went straight to AA last year from A.  He also dropped his K rate dramatically in 2022.  I think they were working on something with him last year and we're gonna see the positive results of that this year.  

Speaking of aggressive promotions, 

Livan Soto was the 3rd youngest position player in the southern league last year with more than 350 PA.  And the youngest over 500 PA
Jackson was the 7th youngest with more than 350 PA
Maitan was 9th youngest.  Lots of seats still available on the Maitan bandwagon and @Second Base is driving.  

Yeah, Jackson was an interesting case.  Jumping from regular A to AA is a pretty significant jump.  His numbers did not look good, but the K rate improvement was huge and very impressive.  To skip over a level AND see your K rate drop by about 10% in the process is a very significant developmental improvement.  I'm assuming he will start back in AA this year, but this time, hopefully we'll see a solid offensive performance to go along with his improved plate discipline.

7 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

they seem to be pushing this guy pretty hard and fast.  Undrafted out of Clemson.  Seems to have some pop.  Clearly has speed.  Whiffs at near a 40% clip but his D must be very impressive for them to have him skip A+ and force Adams to a corner when he was in AA.  Plus they sent him to the AFL so they're workin' on something with him.  

@taylorblakeward thoughts?  

Watching the Angels' trend of aggressive promotion is interesting.

I can't recall seeing an organization so regularly have guys skip levels.  Maybe I just haven't observed enough organizations in how they handle their minor leaguers, but last year we saw a few guys skip over hi-A entirely and go from A to AA.  We also saw all sorts of players get promoted directly from AA to the MLB - O'Hoppe, Soto, Silseth, Whitefield, Aguilar, and maybe some others that I can't recall from now.  That seems like a lot?

7 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Watching the Angels' trend of aggressive promotion is interesting.

I can't recall seeing an organization so regularly have guys skip levels.  Maybe I just haven't observed enough organizations in how they handle their minor leaguers, but last year we saw a few guys skip over hi-A entirely and go from A to AA.  We also saw all sorts of players get promoted directly from AA to the MLB - O'Hoppe, Soto, Silseth, Whitefield, Aguilar, and maybe some others that I can't recall from now.  That seems like a lot?

I know I might bitch about the team, but truly I’m more optimistic than I’ve been in years.  Minasain seems like a smart guy, I think he knows his stuff.  The skipping levels means to me that he really knows that prospect and he’s got a plan for development.  Just give Minasain the resources to fix things, which he hasn’t had.  New ownership hopefully changes that.

This seems like a good team to me.  No guarantees but with health it’s a playoff team, and then who knows.

15 hours ago, Second Base said:

So...I guess I'll pick Sam Bachman. Because everyone thinks he's a bust. I think he'll come back, be relatively healthy and show 95-97 as a starter to go with a slider and change that will work at major league level. Ultimately I still think he's a reliever, but for 2023, I think

I thought I was probably his biggest/harshest critic and even I don't think he's a bust -- are people really already on that?   I don't believe he's a prospect UNLESS the velocity recovers, but it's way too early for anyone to declare him a legit bust.  But I can't see him reinventing himself as anything other than a power pitcher.  It would be disappointing to waste a first round pick on a RP, but if that's all he ever ends up being and they get 6 years of back end RPing, 4+ years of elite closer production then he would have to be considered a draft day success.

exclusively the DR.  Seems Eppler was more about finding prospects in other countries.   

And that's the thing about a change in leadership.  You pretty much have to reestablish all your international relationships all over again.   I guess you don't HAVE to but they probably put a new group in there after Eppler left who probably took a bunch of those guys with him to the mets and I'm not sure who Perry brought.  

Angels were also drawing from the second lowest tier of money.  My guess is that they go with just a ton of volume.  

3 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

exclusively the DR.  Seems Eppler was more about finding prospects in other countries.   

And that's the thing about a change in leadership.  You pretty much have to reestablish all your international relationships all over again.   I guess you don't HAVE to but they probably put a new group in there after Eppler left who probably took a bunch of those guys with him to the mets and I'm not sure who Perry brought.  

Angels were also drawing from the second lowest tier of money.  My guess is that they go with just a ton of volume.  

Why are the Halos in the second lowest money tier?