• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

From today's BA Chat with @taylorblakeward

John (NJ):

• Thanks for the chat! I know some people don't like dishing out comps, but what would be an appropriate one for Zach Neto? To go from a lesser known school to hitting .320 with 5 bombs at the AA level is hellavu impressive, albeit a small sample size. Thanks!

Taylor Blake Ward: Hey John. I don't mind comparisons as long as they're sensible and come from a trained eye (scouts, execs, etc.). It all starts with the leg kick and position, so fairly or unfairly you're going to go direct to Bo Bichette, Javy Baez, Willy Adames, and Josh Donaldson. He doesn't have the bat wrap Bichette has, the bat speed Baez does, or the early front foot that Donaldson has, so blend them all together and... Willy Adames? I know he has mentioned in podcast that he compares himself to Baez.

AngelsWin.com (Anaheim, CA):

• Which prospects not in your top-10 list are ones to keep an eye on, that could make a significant jump in 2023?

Taylor Blake Ward: Jake Madden was the first to come to mind. Tall-and-lean athletic right-handed with explosive stuff that the Angels are very excited about, and amateur scouts were surprised fell to the fourth round.

Nate (Orange):

• Would you say that your list is more of a reflection on how the Angels view their prospects or how the industry views their prospects? Based on who you talked to in formulating this list and the evaluation of players.

Taylor Blake Ward: Hey Nate. It's a blend. The organization wants to boosts their players, and in particular, the players that they brought into the organization, so you have to be careful. That is where the opinion of external scouts/execs assists you, and they may see something in a player that the organization doesn't even see (both positive and negative). I would say my ranking is more based on the organization's views, but the reports and grades are more based on external scouts.

5 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Let us play a game. Since the top 30 list is posted, select three prospects;1 from the top 10, the second from 10-20, and a third from the last ten that you believe will break out.  

1. Paris

2. Madden 

3. Calabrese 

I'll choose one outside the top 30. Kevin. Maitan. 

38 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Let us play a game. Since the top 30 list is posted, select three prospects;1 from the top 10, the second from 10-20, and a third from the last ten that you believe will break out.  

Ky Bush

Landon Marceaux

Mason Erla

In general, I feel pretty bullish about our minor league system.  I think we actually have a very good developmental team in place now.  It will still take time to manifest, but it seems like a number of prospects had strong finishes to the year.  I think it takes time to institute an organizational philosophy.  Just as the Indians are renowned for developing pitching and the Dodgers are renowned for developing hitting, they did not arrive at these positions overnight - it took time to get the right team in place.

I think Minasian has taken time to build out his player development team, and from there, it takes time to draft the right players, and then teach them the principles you are looking to cultivate.  

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

that's not the rules! lol, jk. seem like next year could be a make it or break it year for maitan.

Every year is. And I always pick Kevin. For everything. 

But his breakout might have already come. He looked better in AA than any other level. Which sucks because this might be as good as he gets.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Every year is. And I always pick Kevin. For everything. 

But his breakout might have already come. He looked better in AA than any other level. Which sucks because this might be as good as he gets.

some weird streaks for him last year

started the season at .217/300/290/590 in 170 PA with 2hrs (7 xbh).  So no contact and little power 

then  273/360/364/723 in his next 178 PA with only 1hr but a triple and 9 doubles 

then in his final 114 PA of the season he went 282/.342/573/915 with 8 hrs and 6 doubles.  So the launch showed up.  

His k and walk rates stayed about the same all year.  

3 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

1. Paris

2. Madden 

3. Calabrese 

1.  P - Silseth - gonna break out in the bigs.
    B - Paris  
2. P - Madden
    B - Jackson
3. P - Victor Mederos
    B - Alexander Ramirez (mostly by default because of the lack of position players in this range)

Numbers aren't gonna look great for any hitter moving to A+ because of that yard though.  

BTW, you didn't even follow your own rules.  Calabrese is ranked 20th.  😉

3 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

1.  P - Silseth - gonna break out in the bigs.
    B - Paris  
2. P - Madden
    B - Jackson
3. P - Victor Mederos
    B - Alexander Ramirez (mostly by default because of the lack of position players in this range)

Numbers aren't gonna look great for any hitter moving to A+ because of that yard though.  

BTW, you didn't even follow your own rules.  Calabrese is ranked 20th.  😉

This

Only question is, can Silseth develop enough rise on the heat?   The velocity is certainly there.

3 hours ago, mmc said:

Drafted in the 19th round (577th overall) by the Houston Astros in 2016

Jones has the type of build scouts love to dream on- he's 6-foot-7 and 188 pounds with broad shoulders. He's also a good athlete who plays basketball for his high school and shows good coordination and explosive actions on the mound. He entered the season with high expectations after sitting in the 87-89 mph range in the summer with an inconsistent curveball. Scouts were hoping for a velocity jump, but instead Jones went the other way a little bit. He pitched more in the 85-87 mph range this spring, so he'll be a difficult sign, as he's a double-projection guy with a strong commitment to Gonzaga.

Decent numbers in AA and AAA

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 8.24.40 PM.png

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Drafted in the 19th round (577th overall) by the Houston Astros in 2016

Jones has the type of build scouts love to dream on- he's 6-foot-7 and 188 pounds with broad shoulders. He's also a good athlete who plays basketball for his high school and shows good coordination and explosive actions on the mound. He entered the season with high expectations after sitting in the 87-89 mph range in the summer with an inconsistent curveball. Scouts were hoping for a velocity jump, but instead Jones went the other way a little bit. He pitched more in the 85-87 mph range this spring, so he'll be a difficult sign, as he's a double-projection guy with a strong commitment to Gonzaga.

I realize he gave up pitching, but how does someone who's 6'7" only throw in the mid 80's?  

Just now, Docwaukee said:

I realize he gave up pitching, but how does someone who's 6'7" only throw in the mid 80's?  

Yeah that baffled me about that 6'11 Aussie southpaw that I believe we signed but he never made the club. He topped out at 90-91. 

2 minutes ago, StandOutRealty said:

I think you were talking about this guy... damn didn't know poor guy passed on 4 years ago

Screenshot (212).png

That's him. Oh man that's sad I had no idea he passed away. Cause of death? He was young. 

And man, he was 7'1, a righty and from the Netherlands so I was off a bit. 

11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

That's him. Oh man that's sad I had no idea he passed away. Cause of death? He was young. 

And man, he was 7'1, a righty and from the Netherlands so I was off a bit. 

Got him in the Brian Fuentes deal...

Slipped and fell on a hike, was knocked for more than 24 hours with multiple head fractures... and then 7 months later he died

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/07/29/loek-van-mil-death-dutch-international-pitcher

I picked Jackson because I totally forgot he skipped high A and went straight to AA last year from A.  He also dropped his K rate dramatically in 2022.  I think they were working on something with him last year and we're gonna see the positive results of that this year.  

Speaking of aggressive promotions, 

Livan Soto was the 3rd youngest position player in the southern league last year with more than 350 PA.  And the youngest over 500 PA
Jackson was the 7th youngest with more than 350 PA
Maitan was 9th youngest.  Lots of seats still available on the Maitan bandwagon and @Second Base is driving.  

On 1/10/2023 at 8:31 AM, sportstr44 said:

Best Defensive Outfielder: Bryce Teodosio

they seem to be pushing this guy pretty hard and fast.  Undrafted out of Clemson.  Seems to have some pop.  Clearly has speed.  Whiffs at near a 40% clip but his D must be very impressive for them to have him skip A+ and force Adams to a corner when he was in AA.  Plus they sent him to the AFL so they're workin' on something with him.  

@taylorblakeward thoughts?