• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

This is always my favorite thread of the year.  We need value from young starters in 2023, especially since apparently Minasain thinks we have enough starting pitching depth.  I was saying in some thread somewhere that Minasain will be famous for the 2021 draft, and of course he will be for all pitchers.  But I meant some young pitching really needs to step up. Or Minasain likes Canning’s health?  Without Canning or an addition from outside, depth wise it’s Silseth the 6th, then Bush?  Is Bachman even healthy as the 8th starter?  Who exactly are 9-12, 13, 14….

6 hours ago, Revad said:

Without Canning or an addition from outside, depth wise it’s Silseth the 6th, then Bush?  Is Bachman even healthy as the 8th starter?  Who exactly are 9-12, 13, 14….

I think the SP Depth chart looks like this right now:

1-5: Ohtani/Sandoval/Anderson/Detmers/Suarez

6-9: Canning/Davidson/Rodriguez/Silseth

10-14: Bush/Daniel/Diaz/Rosenberg/Valdez

15-18: Bachman/Erla/Kalish/Romero

Edited by Trendon

10 minutes ago, Trendon said:

10-13: Bush/Diaz/Rosenberg/Valdez

14-17: Bachman/Erla/Kalish/Romero

If this is what it looks like on opening day then Davidson will be our 6th starter as he’s out of options. I’d add Barria to the 6-10 list. 

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If this is what it looks like on opening day then Davidson will be our 6th starter as he’s out of options. I’d add Barria to the 6-10 list. 

If they stretch Barría out as a starter during Spring Training, sure. If they don’t, I think it’d be too hard to build him back up as a starter mid-season.

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If they stretch Barría out as a starter during Spring Training, sure. If they don’t, I think it’d be too hard to build him back up as a starter mid-season.

Same for Davidson. If he doesn’t start the year as a starter it’ll be hard to stretch him out mid season. 

43 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I'd say this sounds about right.  I don't consider Barria a SP option at this point.  IIRC, when Minasian was recently asked about SP options beyond our top 5, he listed a few guys (including CRod), but he did not list Barria.  It seems all but certain he is ticketed for the same spot he occupied last year.

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

Who knows about Canning. Davidson may not make the roster.  Rodriguez will not be a starter if he makes MLB.
Diaz maybe next year, shouldn’t be yet.

2 minutes ago, Revad said:

Who knows about Canning. Davidson may not make the roster.  Rodriguez will not be a starter if he makes MLB.
Diaz maybe next year, shouldn’t be yet.

The point of a depth chart is to look at all the available options.

Yeah, Canning and Rodriguez have health concerns, Davidson may get DFA’d, and the options get worse as you go down the list.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I think it's probably unnecessary to waste breath debating who the sixth starter is because it's much more likely the Angels sixth starter is still a free agent, or is employed by another team at the moment. 

That’s what I thought last week.

8 minutes ago, Revad said:

That’s what I thought last week.

Well at this point in free agency, you've already waited this long and there's more teams that need pitching than there are pitchers, so there's no downside in waiting. You get to demand a contract that doesn't fit your performance. So the difference between Michael Wacha signing on January 5th instead of February 5th probably amounts to two million extra on his contract. 

5 minutes ago, Revad said:

I was asking  where’s the pitching for a successful season. Ii like 1-6.  But did we trade position player depth for mo pitching?   Its 162 games and more,if you make the playoffs..  Because we’re good 1-5 or 1-6 does really reflect on 8-12,.

We need health, the Astros only used 8 starters last year. Phillies used 10, and 2 of those guys were bullpen guys either starting a bullpen game or being the "opener."

Atlanta used 12 starters, two of them being bullpen games or openers. Mets used 11, three guys getting 1 start.

Yankees used 10. 

Dodgers used 12.

Angels used 16.

Just now, Hubs said:

We need health, the Astros only used 8 starters last year. Phillies used 10, and 2 of those guys were bullpen guys either starting a bullpen game or being the "opener."

Atlanta used 12 starters, two of them being bullpen games or openers. Mets used 11, three guys getting 1 start.

Yankees used 10. 

Dodgers used 12.

Angels used 16.

The biggest is not how many starters were used, it's the number of starts they got from the top 3 or 4 in their rotation, which all of these teams exceeded 110 starts for top 4.

30 minutes ago, Revad said:

I was asking  where’s the pitching for a successful season. Ii like 1-6.  But did we trade position player depth for mo pitching?   Its 162 games and more,if you make the playoffs..  Because we’re good 1-5 or 1-6 does really reflect on 8-12,.

Most teams’ #8-#12 starters aren’t that great.