• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Butcher should've corrected the mechanics issues by now

ghoetke

Gubi usually lays the problem with our pitching on mechanics..e.g opening the shoulder too soon, etc. Well now, Is it not Butcher's job to correct those type things ??  With the possible exception of Weaver, I can't think of any other Angel pitcher who has improved under Butcher's tutelage. That is especially true for the young arms we've had over the past few years..e.g  Santana, Jepsen, O' Sullivan, Bell, Chatwood. They've regressed, been traded, or released.

I'll never understand this.

If you are going to blame coaches why stop at the MLB level? Let's go back and blame minor league, college, and high school coaches as well.

These are professionals that got to this level because of their performance. Sure you get a pitching coach that may spot something or make a mound visit to let the pitcher know his shoulder is opening or dropping, but the player usually already knows that as his form got him to this level.

There are way too many players that simply don't have it or become journeymen.

Make Gubi the pitching coach.  Nobody watching the game cares about his nightly nine inning coaching clinics.   Maybe some of the players would be interested.

I can't ever recall a "color commentator" more focused on the trees than the forest.

After Hambone's ridiculous bad streak last week, Scioscia finally moves him to seventh in the order. 

Rojas:  We haven't discussed this yet, Hamilton has been moved to seventh in the batting order.

Gubi: Hamilton is a career .333 hitter from the seventh position!!

That constitutes 'analysis' for our team.

Gubi usually lays the problem with our pitching on mechanics..e.g opening the shoulder too soon, etc. Well now, Is it not Butcher's job to correct those type things ??  With the possible exception of Weaver, I can't think of any other Angel pitcher who has improved under Butcher's tutelage. That is especially true for the young arms we've had over the past few years..e.g  Santana, Jepsen, O' Sullivan, Bell, Chatwood. They've regressed, been traded, or released.

a coach identify flaws in the mechanics and should work with the player in practice to correct the mechanics.  However, the coach can't get the player to correct in games.  He doesn't have that control.  A lot maybe on the player!

Make Gubi the pitching coach.  Nobody watching the game cares about his nightly nine inning coaching clinics.   Maybe some of the players would be interested.

I can't ever recall a "color commentator" more focused on the trees than the forest.

After Hambone's ridiculous bad streak last week, Scioscia finally moves him to seventh in the order. 

Rojas:  We haven't discussed this yet, Hamilton has been moved to seventh in the batting order.

Gubi: Hamilton is a career .333 hitter from the seventh position!!

That constitutes 'analysis' for our team.

Do you really think baseball requires in depth analysis?  It's not rocket science.  Besides we have the internet to do baseball analysis.

Do you really think baseball requires in depth analysis?  It's not rocket science.  Besides we have the internet to do baseball analysis.

I'm not asking for in depth analysis.  I am asking for any discussion of the team at a level above "release point" and "turning your hips".

I'm not asking for in depth analysis.  I am asking for any discussion of the team at a level above "release point" and "turning your hips".

What is there to discuss beyond that, I'm curious?  Give me an example.

About the only thing I don't like about Gubi is his "Captain Obvious" comments.  "If the Angels can load the bases, they will have the tying run at the plate."  "The gap in right center field is huge, if Jones hits it there he can run forever."

I appreciate the understated approach.  It seems to me that if you're watching the Angels you understand something about baseball and you can add and see for yourself how the outfielders are playing.  He's better that Hud, and I like his banter with Victor, so I can put up with it.

My only point is that baseball is so over analyzed that it kind of destroys the experience.  Every little twitch and movement is commented on, sometimes over and over again.  I guess the analysts feel they have to comment on all of these things, that's what they are paid to do - talk.  Baseball is so detailed driven it lends itself to that.  It can be a little bit of a break just to go to the game, and not have it force fed to you by TV or radio.  Then again there are plenty of amateur analysts at the game who like to comment in the stands, and their analysis is far worse than the radio and TV guys.  My favorite this year was some guy explaining to a non baseball person how batting averages work, and their significance.  I won't go into details, but he was no math major, he couldn't get the decimal point right on anything, plus he had the scoring rules completely bastardized.

This message board is part of the over analyzing.  We are down in the trees a lot here, when a better perspective should be taken by studying the forest.

I think you are a golfer Bruce, and so am I.  It's easy in that game as well to get sucked into little details that really don't help you improve your game.  Then you have to step back and simplify.

Most fans aren't in depth baseball fans. Most fans that watch and listen to games don't study the game or know any details other than the goal of the offense is to get hits and score runs; the goal of the defense is to keep them from getting hits and scoring runs; and there are three outs per half inning. Don't expect in depth or critical analysis very often from the broadcast team. 

What is there to discuss beyond that, I'm curious?  Give me an example.

Gubi: Hamilton's season hasn't gone as expected.  Here has been what's going on (discussing his season to date on a macro basis.... NOT evaluating the hip rotation).

My only point is that baseball is so over analyzed that it kind of destroys the experience.  Every little twitch and movement is commented on, sometimes over and over again.  I guess the analysts feel they have to comment on all of these things, that's what they are paid to do - talk. 

This is the Gubi problem.  I don't want pitch by pitch analysis.  I am looking for more of a 10,000 feet view of the Angels' season.  I never get it, at least when I watch.

Most fans aren't in depth baseball fans. Most fans that watch and listen to games don't study the game or know any details other than the goal of the offense is to get hits and score runs; the goal of the defense is to keep them from getting hits and scoring runs; and there are three outs per half inning. Don't expect in depth or critical analysis very often from the broadcast team. 

Then they certainly don't want the how-to clinic Gubi provides every night.  Give me something besides what to come back with when you throw a 2 seam fastball for ball one.