• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade #10 prospect Kyle Johnson for Collin Cowgill

Scott34

To be honest this just really strikes me as an opportunity to acquire a Minor League career .371 OBP outfielder from a team that designated him for assignment and preferred to deal him for something (that being Kyle Johnson) rather than potentially getting nothing at all.

It is just part of Dipoto's efforts to build good depth at all positions in my opinion. The possible bonus is that Cowgill's OBP might actually translate to the Majors one day if we need a 4th outfielder or replacement bat.

Overall I agree with some of the other posters that we are reading way too much into this trade.

To be honest this just really strikes me as an opportunity to acquire a Minor League career .371 OBP outfielder from a team that designated him for assignment and preferred to deal him for something (that being Kyle Johnson) rather than potentially getting nothing at all.

It is just part of Dipoto's efforts to build good depth at all positions in my opinion. The possible bonus is that Cowgill's OBP might actually translate to the Majors one day if we need a 4th outfielder or replacement bat.

Overall I agree with some of the other posters that we are reading way too much into this trade.

That may be the case, but they have plenty of OF depth in the upper minors, plus Cowgill is 27 years old. If he hasn't been able to do anything in the majors by now chances are he'll never amount to much. I'm not saying I think this is a precursor to another deal it just strikes me as odd.

He is slightly old for the league but consider more than his 30 SBs.  .308/.416 in a tough hitting environment with ++ speed and very good defense.  We might as well have released him considering the (lack of) talent we got back.

He's 23 in a league where the optimal age is 20.     While the Midwest league had traditionally favored pitching, it's become a very neutral league and ranks 5th among the minor leagues offensively.   The league tends to deflate hits a great deal and HRs to an extent but, Burlington is probably one of the top 3 offensive parks in the league.

He's basically a tall pygmy.   Whatever positives we can try to make about his numbers, the parks and his age tend to balance those out.

What I don't get is why the Angels traded for an older, slower, weaker, version of a player they already had in Low A.

I'm wondering if they are looking at trading Calhoun. He doesn't have a spot on the big league club. He has a full 6 years of control left. He's hitting real well in AAA right now. He might be able to fetch us a nice close to the majors pitcher.

That was my initial thought as well. I have talked with many scouts who see value in Calhoun and knowing him would be very happy for him to see him in the Majors with another team if he isn't with the Angels. He is a good guy.

Also, if Kyle Johnson is the #10 prospect in the Angels' system, then we're even worse off than I thought.

The organization has some problems and holes, but lots of things go into making a list of prospects. Johnson should have been jumped up a level by now to catch up on the age curve.

Right now our organization has 3 clear guys who should be everyday players or more. They are all a year away or so. The organization has several others who could make it. And some who will provide depth or utility roles. They are woefully short on pitching, which hopefully changed with this draft. Not trying to sugarcoat it. It's bad, but the top three would be legitimate in any organization and there are other strong possibilities.

Because they jerked him between starting and relieving, just like they are with Richards and Williams.

Is Scioscia trying to be another Ron Washington?

Stop going Feliz and Ogando on your pitchers, Scioscia.

Just STOP it!

They haven't really jerked Maronde around, although I wasn't thrilled with how soon they shifted him to the bullpen.

Buthe's walked 30 batters in 31.1 IP, that's on him and that's awful, obviously.

This is absurd. The Angels management is ridiculous. How many outfielders do they need in AA/AAA? And what does that do to the players that are outfielders in the organization? Completely demotivating. It was bad enough to bring in Cousins, Young, etc. I hope they trade them all so they get a chance in a decent organization.