• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Hunter Renfroe from the Brewers for Janson Junk, Elvis Peguero, and Adam Seminaris

mmc

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Problems are:

Wong’s defense has declined the past 3 years (combined dWAR 1.9), just .4 in 2022.

Rengifo is a significantly better 2B than SS.   

Amed Rosario could be another good 1 year acquisition.   Checks the boxes for SS in the field, and aside from lack of BBs, at the plate.

Gives Neto and Soto another year to get ready.

My issue with Rosario is the Guardians are a good team and there’s little reason for them to trade him. 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My issue with Rosario is the Guardians are a good team and there’s little reason for them to trade him. 

On the surface, I agree with you, but the Guardians have historically done everything they can to slash their payroll really low.  While I would not think a trade likely given their contender status, I would not rule it out either given their trading and financial history.

59 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Odd take from Olney here.  True that this is a salary dump for the Brewers, but calling the Angels "pitching-starved, pitching-thin" feels way off base, especially given who they traded. 

Not necessarily entirely inaccurate, but overly histrionic.  We could use some more pitching depth, likely in the form of bullpen arms, but the days of this being a pitching-starved organization are in the past.  I think our overall organizational pitching depth is solid now, but there are some weaknesses that can be tended to (and probably will be).

19 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

On the surface, I agree with you, but the Guardians have historically done everything they can to slash their payroll really low.  While I would not think a trade likely given their contender status, I would not rule it out either given their trading and financial history.

Plus Rosario’s impending FA after 2023, making him a perfect fit for the Halos’ apparent 2023 strategy.

They aren’t going to re-sign them, as they don’t have a good history of keeping their own in house FAs.

Don’t they also have a solid SS prospect almost ready to play at this level.

Edited by Angel Oracle

11 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Love the Renfroe trade. All we need now is a SS and possibly a starter. 
So who’s realistic for the Angels then? 
Bogaerts, Turner, Correa and Swanson seem like pipe dreams. 

what names are possible via trade? Rosario,…?

We can't really know who is available via trade and who isn't, but Rosenthal outlined some guys who are entering their walk years who could be possibilities:  Rosario, Kinner-Falefa, maybe Tim Anderson (though doubtful, I think the White Sox intend to contend).  Nick Ahmed is a possibility too - not much offensively, but really good defensively and likely can be acquired for basically nothing.

18 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Not necessarily entirely inaccurate, but overly histrionic.  We could use some more pitching depth, likely in the form of bullpen arms, but the days of this being a pitching-starved organization are in the past.  I think our overall organizational pitching depth is solid now, but there are some weaknesses that can be tended to (and probably will be).

My point is that none of the three pitchers who were traded are likely to make any real impact,  especially this year.  Every team has multiple guys like them.  

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

We can't really know who is available via trade and who isn't, but Rosenthal outlined some guys who are entering their walk years who could be possibilities:  Rosario, Kinner-Falefa, maybe Tim Anderson (though doubtful, I think the White Sox intend to contend).  Nick Ahmed is a possibility too - not much offensively, but really good defensively and likely can be acquired for basically nothing.

The problem I would have with Ahmed is that he sounds a lot like Cozart to me....shoulder issues (I think), which isn't great for a SS.....If we could get Kiner-Falefa at a reasonable cost, I'd do that....cheaper than Anderson or Rosario probably....

10 hours ago, Second Base said:

A little too optimistic, I think. First, he's worked with better hitting coaches than the Angels have, though I hear good things regarding Thames' personality, so maybe they mesh. But even if Renfroe and Urshela do their thing, I wouldn't consider the offense VERY dangerous. More like competent. 

Health permitting, you are going to see how big of an impact it is to have a balanced lineup.  Take a look at how successful it can be for teams like STL and MIL

My issue with Kiner-Falefa is that he’s never posted an OPS over .700 and his OPS+ last year was just 84.

He seems like he’s basically just another Fletcher type, but a little faster and can play catcher a little better. 

If we’re adding a SS, id rather add a guy doesn’t seem at risk of regressing to a more super UT player.

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Odd take from Olney here.  True that this is a salary dump for the Brewers, but calling the Angels "pitching-starved, pitching-thin" feels way off base, especially given who they traded. 

he's either a complete moron (likely) or he's referencing our bullpen (less likely).  

48 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

My point is that none of the three pitchers who were traded are likely to make any real impact,  especially this year.  Every team has multiple guys like them.  

of the three, Peguero could.  Wouldn't surprise me to see him be a good pen fixture for the brew crew for awhile.  Junk would have gotten a few spot starts probably and we were only likely to see seminaris if the shit hit the fan.  Those last two are pretty easily replaceable even from guys off waivers that float around every year

So many of these national reports are outing themselves as idiots lately.

Heyman is self explanatory.

Rosenthal and Olney are just spewing a bunch of nonsense that shows they don’t pay attention to the team.

If you don’t pay attention to the Angels, fine, but don’t try and analyze them based on your inaccurate opinions.

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

The problem I would have with Ahmed is that he sounds a lot like Cozart to me....shoulder issues (I think), which isn't great for a SS.....If we could get Kiner-Falefa at a reasonable cost, I'd do that....cheaper than Andersonn or Rosario probably....

It's possible - not really sure, and I'm guessing the FO would do its due diligence prior to acquiring him in terms of his health and whatnot.

He's due 10mil this year.  I'm guessing we would probably have the DBacks pay more than half that remaining amount, in addition to basically giving up a flyer for him.

He would not be my first choice or anything like that, but he would likely improve our defense significantly and be an upgrade over Velazquez.

19 hours ago, HanfordGuy said:

The Brewers fans in the comment section on MLB Trade Rumors are upset with the deal. They really liked Renfroe.

I was just reading some of the comments about the deal on an MLB group on Facebook. The Brewers fans were griping about the team trading offensive production for something that they "didn't need" (assuming that they mean pitching). The Angels fans were griping about not trading for pitching, despite the fact that the team was 25th in MLB in runs scored, and had position players starting who shouldn't have even been on a major league roster.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan