• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now what? What moves would you like to see them make.

Stradling

Ok so we have signed Anderson which should solidify our rotation and we’ve acquired Urshela which shores up or corner infield position. What move would you like to see next? This answer can go a lot of ways. We still need outfield help, we still need an everyday SS, perhaps another arm for the rotation, or a closer.  Or even an extension for Ohtani.  Personally I think the player that brings us the most wins is probably Nimmo.  Plays a position of need, gets on base 38% of the time, bats left handed, and fills a need at the top of the line up.  I think his cost could prevent the signing but they’ve already added $23 million in payroll and Perry doesn’t sound like he’s done.  It finally feels like they are building a roster. 

The order does not matter too much to me - just as long as they roughly address the positions you mentioned, I'm cool with that.

Nimmo would be on the top of my list, compared to the SS options on the market, as he would cost quite a bit less than them and does indeed fill a significant hole on our roster - LHH, gets on base, etc.  That said, I don't envision Arte signing off on THAT large of a contract given the pending sale.

I do feel they won't sign another SP.  We have 5 already, and while we will roll with a 6 man rotation, it makes a lot more sense to keep that 6th spot earmarked for someone with options, so they can maximize roster flexibility and, essentially, reward the best performers of the moment with more starts.

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

The order does not matter too much to me - just as long as they roughly address the positions you mentioned, I'm cool with that.

Nimmo would be on the top of my list, compared to the SS options on the market, as he would cost quite a bit less than them and does indeed fill a significant hole on our roster - LHH, gets on base, etc.  That said, I don't envision Arte signing off on THAT large of a contract given the pending sale.

I do feel they won't sign another SP.  We have 5 already, and while we will roll with a 6 man rotation, it makes a lot more sense to keep that 6th spot earmarked for someone with options, so they can maximize roster flexibility and, essentially, reward the best performers of the moment with more starts.

I agree that the order of moves doesn’t matter however the next move could possibly give you an indication of how the rest of the off season is going to go. If they sign a big enough player then we will have that, “oh shit, they really are going for it” moment. 

Actually, the more I think about it - I think Nimmo would truly be my top option, even if it means just rolling with what we have in the middle infield currently.

Why?

1.  Great hitting LHH OF who draws tons of walks and can be our leadoff hitter for the next few years

2.  The key part - a great fallback to have in case Trout gets hurt again.

This team, in the last few years, has been absolutely crushed when our star players (Trout, Rendon) have gotten injured.

It is true that any team, no matter how good they are, will struggle a bit more once their star players are out.  However, the best teams tend to have rather solid fallback options who can fill in admirably when those players go out, whereas we do not have that.

In the trade for Urshela, we now have someone who can fill in rather admirably if Rendon gets hurt.  We don't currently have that option for Trout.  *IF* we signed Nimmo, he would play LF, but if Trout got hurt, Nimmo could slide over and play CF, provide average defense and strong offense.  I really like the idea of having strong fallback options for our stud players in case injury occurs, and I think Nimmo would help provide that.

Nimmo would anchor the lineup and fill the biggest position of need. He could really change the complexion of the team. And if you get him, I think it lessens the need to get a good shortstop. 

I also think this team needs to add another starting pitcher - preferably a guy with ability to dominate a game (as opposed to another innings eater). 

Just an opinion, the signing of Anderson gives us one or possibly two, pitchers to trade.  Suarez and Barria may be available in trades to address other areas of need.  

Suarez and Barria, along with another prospect or two, may be enough to bring back a talented player such as Reynolds, to fill another hole in the roster.  

2 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Just an opinion, the signing of Anderson gives us one or possibly two, pitchers to trade.  Suarez and Barria may be available in trades to address other areas of need.  

Suarez and Barria, along with another prospect or two, may be enough to bring back a talented player such as Reynolds, to fill another hole in the roster.  

I think Reynolds trade value would start with Detmers and probably Neto. 

Perry works similar to Alex Anthopolous, which is to say that he prefers to get his off-season shopping done early, before the market develops and prices are dictated and manipulated and then continues to monitor things from there and see if anything falls into your lap. 

Perry struck early and got the pitcher he wanted and improved the offense and depth. I doubt Arte is looking to increase payroll during a sale, so the fact that the Angels are at 181 million and last year they were at 188 million, suggests that Perry might have 10 million more to play with, max.

I think Urshela was the SS move he was looking to make. Urshela may not play short, but he makes it so that Fletcher and Rengifo aren't forced to play 3B, thus keeping them available for SS duty. They talked about 1B too and Urshela can also compete with Walsh there. And I think this move was made because Perry assessed the SS market and concluded out was going to be too expensive to directly sign one. 

Perry wants to improve the bullpen, but he prefers to see those strides made internally, as it's pretty clear the guys he spent money on last year haven't done squat. So less FA and think you're asking the lines of Rodriguez, Canning and Soriano in relief.

So my guess is, the Angels are mostly done with "big" moves and will tinker from here. A "Dexter Fowler" type of outfielder for LF allowing Adell to be in AAA where he belongs and improving the offense, and a "Lorenzen" type of veteran arm that can either be a 6th starter or work in relief.

47 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Nimmo would anchor the lineup and fill the biggest position of need. He could really change the complexion of the team. And if you get him, I think it lessens the need to get a good shortstop. 

I also think this team needs to add another starting pitcher - preferably a guy with ability to dominate a game (as opposed to another innings eater). 

Yes, I agree with this.  Nimmo would cost a lot, and if we got him that likely means the only MI acquisition would be a low salary depth type acquisition.

Still, i think Nimmo would transform this offense and would provide that strong CF fallback option if Trout gets hurt.

Lineup:  LF Nimmo, CF Trout, DH Ohtani, 3B Rendon, RF Ward, 1B Walsh, C Stassi, 2B Rengifo, SS Fletcher.  Bench:  C Thaiss (or veteran backup C), 3B/1B Urshela, IF Soto (or whomever they acquire), OF Moniak.

That should be considerably better than what we had last year.  And with a little bit of time, O'Hoppe could supplant Stassi, and by 2024 (?), Neto could take over at SS, Fletcher back to 2B, and Rengifo could fill the "super utility" type role.

And of course, the key part - if Rendon gets hurt, you have a capable backup to fill in (Urshela), and if Trout gets hurt, you have a capable player to fill in (Nimmo).

45 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think Reynolds trade value would start with Detmers and probably Neto. 

Have you seen the Pirates returns for their stars better than Reynolds? 

Hell, we could probably leech Reynolds off the Pirates for Sum Yung Gui in the lower minors and Andrew Velazquez. 

Kidding aside, I bet they'd trade us Reynolds straight up for Adell or someone like Bachman + Livan Soto from our top prospects. 

Nimmo would be absolutely great and really fill the lineup in a perfect way.  

but...

he's averaged about 90 games over his previous 4 non covid seasons.  I just want to make you all aware of that.  

Don't get me wrong, I would be happy if we signed him but he's probably gonna get 5 years and 100+m.  

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Have you seen the Pirates returns for their stars better than Reynolds? 

Hell, we could probably leech Reynolds off the Pirates for Sum Yung Gui in the lower minors and Andrew Velazquez. 

Kidding aside, I bet they'd trade us Reynolds straight up for Adell or someone like Bachman + Livan Soto from our top prospects. 

There is no chance they make that trade.  Sorry.  Those guys they got in those trades didn’t pan out, but they were mostly highly regarded.  Adell, who I haven’t given up on, is not the prospect he once was, and Bachman isn’t either.  

7 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Nimmo would be absolutely great and really fill the lineup in a perfect way.  

but...

he's averaged about 90 games over his previous 4 non covid seasons.  I just want to make you all aware of that.  

Don't get me wrong, I would be happy if we signed him but he's probably gonna get 5 years and 100+m.  

He would make the perfect Angel, then 🙂

But kidding aside, that's a very valid point to take into consideration.  I don't think we'll actually sign him, or anyone else, to a 4+ year deal in free agency with a pending sale.  I think Anderson will probably be the longest contract, in terms of years, that we issue.

The fact that they gave up their second round pick to sign Anderson leads me to believe that they are open to signing someone else with draft pick compensation attached. 

Alternatively it could just mean that Minasian is a lame duck and he's going to throw it all at the wall this offseason to make something happen, in which case I would expect to see him make a big trade.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The fact that they gave up their second round pick to sign Anderson leads me to believe that they are open to signing someone else with draft pick compensation attached. 

Alternatively it could just mean that Minasian is a lame duck and he's going to throw it all at the wall this offseason to make something happen, in which case I would expect to see him make a big trade.

I thought @Trendon posted about Minasian being signed through 2024?