• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Starting a franchise

Tank

12 hours ago, Second Base said:

If it's a position player, Trout. 

If it's a pitcher, Maddux or Pedro. 

Modern players > Anyone before 1960. 

Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays (Mantle wouldn't get injured in my universe) - but yeah, unlikely anyone from that era could compete - or at least be dominant in the same away - against modern athletes.

Trout sounds like a homer pick - but could do worse.  And he's playing in a league with high-speed cameras to pick apart your every weakness, shifts, specialized pitchers who go to driveline, etc. 

Ricky Henderson would be a great choice, too - tough to choose.  

For pitchers, I'd have to pick Clemens - but I'd rather it be someone I liked, and someone who played every day.

With the DH, Ohtani would be a mad-tempting pick - he'd be a no-brainer if he keeps this level of performance up for a few years - and what he's doing would put butts in seats in this new franchise like no other.  

3 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays (Mantle wouldn't get injured in my universe) - but yeah, unlikely anyone from that era could compete - or at least be dominant in the same away - against modern athletes.

Trout sounds like a homer pick - but could do worse.  And he's playing in a league with high-speed cameras to pick apart your every weakness, shifts, specialized pitchers who go to driveline, etc. 

Ricky Henderson would be a great choice, too - tough to choose.  

For pitchers, I'd have to pick Clemens - but I'd rather it be someone I liked, and someone who played every day.

With the DH, Ohtani would be a mad-tempting pick - he'd be a no-brainer if he keeps this level of performance up for a few years - and what he's doing would put butts in seats in this new franchise like no other.  

Mantle and Mays would be good today. I don't think there's any denying that. I just don't they'd be far and away the best players as they were. In the modern era, I think they'd probably be in a class just under Trout, like Mookie Betts or Ronald Acuna. Trout isn't so much a homer pick as much as it's related to build, skill set and accomplishments. As great as Mantle and Mays were, Trout is simply a physical specimen, and earlier in his career, Trout was faster than both too. He's also consistently been a good defender in CF. 

Ohtani is a gamble in my opinion because of he gets hurt, you lose your ace and DH. Having said that, when healthy, he's getting two very good players for one, making him great. 

Edited by Second Base

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Mantle and Mays would be good today. I don't think there's any denying that. I just don't they'd be far and away the best players as they were. In the modern era, I think they'd probably be in a class just under Trout, like Mookie Betts or Ronald Acuna. Trout isn't so much a homer pick as much as it's related to build, skill set and accomplishments. As great as Mantle and Mays were, Trout is simply a physical specimen, and earlier in his career, Trout was faster than both too. He's also consistently been a good defender in CF. 

Ohtani is a gamble in my opinion because of he gets hurt, you lose your ace and DH. Having said that, when healthy, he's getting two very good players for one, making him great. 

If you hold it against Ohtani because he could get hurt then you should hold it against Trout because he does get hurt. 

20 hours ago, Second Base said:

If it's a position player, Trout. 

If it's a pitcher, Maddux or Pedro. 

Modern players > Anyone before 1960. 

19 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Pedro Martinez. He dominated during the steroid era of baseball. 

Was gonna mention him, too. Was his career dominance long enough though?

I'd almost lean Verlander over him at this point, if we're doing total career.

It's pretty crazy how long Verlander has been doing this.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

Was Kershaw mentioned?  The dude has been an incredible pitcher.  I get his post season struggles probably turn people off but while it hasn't been great, it's not bad.  Just not nearly what he's ever been during the regular season which was uber elite.  

But I'm taking a position player and probably Trout or Ohtani.  Probably Ohtani based on the criteria.  

was just going to mention gibson.

other pitchers i'd look at would include walter johnson, christy mathewson, koufax, feller, and spahn.

there are a ton of position players to consider - mays, aaron, Ruth, DiMaggio, Williams, mantle, trout, bonds, arod, griffey jr., rose, morgan, rickey, etc.

this is the kind of survey that would probably be better to break down by categories like pitching, offense/hitting, power, and defense.

Edited by Tank

I think it's important to define what the rules are here. Like... are we getting this player at the start of their pro career and for the entirety of it?

In that case it's hard to argue against a guy like Bonds, who was elite for 20 years - and that is probably an understatement. 

A guy like Kofax is arguably the greatest pitcher of all time over his relatively short career, or a guy like Pedro Martinez who was the best pitcher I ever saw during his years with the Red Sox, but who was not the same guy who came up with the Expos or who ended his career with the Phillies (?).

Another steroid guy Rodger Clemens was great with his original team, the Red Sox, but had the majority of his career value after he left them.

If we want to talk about the first 6 years of a MLB career I'm not sure how you don't take Mike Trout who had the greatest start to a MLB career of anyone ever, and unless you want to go back to guys like Cobb I don't think it's particularly close.