• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 2/16)

Angelsjunky

22 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I find it doubtful that CRod will be ticketed for a starting spot.  I guess anything is possible, but over the last 6 years, he has pitched a combined 127 innings.  His health track record is awful, and I would, at this point, just hope we can somehow cobble together 50 or so innings in relief out of him.  If he can become a good reliever for us, that would be a huge win at this point.

That dude has so much talent with horrendous physiological luck. I’d love for him to turn into a high quality bp piece. 

22 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

That dude has so much talent with horrendous physiological luck. I’d love for him to turn into a high quality bp piece. 

Yeah.  I mean in an ideal world, he could be a very good SP, but given his track record, I'd just focus on keeping him healthy and having him pitch in relief.  We need legit bullpen pieces, and he has closer-like stuff.  

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I find it doubtful that CRod will be ticketed for a starting spot.  I guess anything is possible, but over the last 6 years, he has pitched a combined 127 innings.  His health track record is awful, and I would, at this point, just hope we can somehow cobble together 50 or so innings in relief out of him.  If he can become a good reliever for us, that would be a huge win at this point.

You’re probably right. Any innings you get from him would be great.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I am not sold that Canning or CRod would be healthier working out of the pen.  

You have to think that all the injuries piling up will prevent them from ever being 100%. They showed great promise but this is just part of professional sports 

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I am not sold that Canning or CRod would be healthier working out of the pen.  

It may not, but aiming for CRod to pitch about 50 innings or so at least reduces the odds of another injury in comparison to trying to stretch him out to 100 or so innings.  But yes, it is possible that given his history, he may not ever truly stay healthy, which is a shame.  That said, he has some electric stuff, and I'd love to see him pitch out of our pen if he can stay healthy

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I find this somewhat doubtful.  It would seem to be disadvantageous to have 6 starters who are required to stay on the 26-man roster at all times.  It would be a much better situation to have that 6th spot somewhat rotate, so that they can keep an extra spot fluid on the roster.

DEPTH DEPTH in pitching is so important. If a starter goes down do not to run a Davidson, Silseth out there. Do not want a Davidson among others as your 6th man. Angels will have many players who can play many different positions. Do not forget the Ohtani rule he is in rotation plus your DH. Another starter like a Bassitt so important not just this year but in 2024. If Ohtani leaves still would have 5 decent starters for 2024. Think 2,3, 4 years down the road. Pitching, Pitching so important. Angels NEED another starter and will get one.

3 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

DEPTH DEPTH in pitching is so important. If a starter goes down do not to run a Davidson, Silseth out there. Do not want a Davidson among others as your 6th man. Angels will have many players who can play many different positions. Do not forget the Ohtani rule he is in rotation plus your DH. Another starter like a Bassitt so important not just this year but in 2024. If Ohtani leaves still would have 5 decent starters for 2024. Think 2,3, 4 years down the road. Pitching, Pitching so important. Angels NEED another starter and will get one.

We have some depth.  Silseth is a promising prospect and can fill that role.  Canning could make some starts if healthy.  Bush may be fairly close.  And, yes, maybe Davidson (or Barria) may make a start here or there (though I am not optimistic on Davidson, the FO seemingly thought enough of him to have him make some starts to close out the year).  I do think they will add a few other options, though I think those pitchers will be guys on minor league deals and will compete for an opportunity in ST.

12 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

We have some depth.  Silseth is a promising prospect and can fill that role.  Canning could make some starts if healthy.  Bush may be fairly close.  And, yes, maybe Davidson (or Barria) may make a start here or there (though I am not optimistic on Davidson, the FO seemingly thought enough of him to have him make some starts to close out the year).  I do think they will add a few other options, though I think those pitchers will be guys on minor league deals and will compete for an opportunity in ST.

I do not count on Canning or C Rod at all. If they are healthy and can pith 50 to 60 inn. that would be a major plus. 

9 hours ago, Jason said:

You have to think that all the injuries piling up will prevent them from ever being 100%. They showed great promise but this is just part of professional sports 

9 hours ago, Warfarin said:

It may not, but aiming for CRod to pitch about 50 innings or so at least reduces the odds of another injury in comparison to trying to stretch him out to 100 or so innings.  But yes, it is possible that given his history, he may not ever truly stay healthy, which is a shame.  That said, he has some electric stuff, and I'd love to see him pitch out of our pen if he can stay healthy

For me it’s about routine for health of these guys. Putting them in the pen means there’s much less of a routine. They could pitch back to back games. They could pitch at a moments notice. As a starter they pitch then have a couple days off then throw on the side then start again. Maybe with Tamins relief pitcher health chart that won’t be an issue but who knows. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

For me it’s about routine for health of these guys. Putting them in the pen means there’s much less of a routine. They could pitch back to back games. They could pitch at a moments notice. As a starter they pitch then have a couple days off then throw on the side then start again. Maybe with Tamins relief pitcher health chart that won’t be an issue but who knows. 

That is why Lorenzen wants to comeback as starter for halos. Start one day gives him 5 days at the beach.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Sure, that’s possible.  The etiology behind injuries is tricky and likely highly variable.  Perhaps for some, the injury occurs as a result of throwing hard repeatedly in a short stretch of time (I.e., having to throw 80-100 pitches in a game).  For others it might be due to the lack of predictability in routine (I.e. relievers).  It is hard to say exactly.  

15 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Is Tucker Davidson out of options? If not kept on roster he may be DFA

3 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Is Tucker Davidson out of options? If not kept on roster he may be DFA

Davidson and Thaiss are high-probability DFAs, IMO.  I think Minasian saw a little bit of potential in Davidson, so perhaps the goal was to acquire him, give him an offseason to work on a specific plan to improve, and see if he can come into spring training showing some degree of improvement.  If not, then yeah - DFA.  We already have one long-reliever in Barria, there is no need to have a second one.

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'll probably wait until the end of the Winter Meetings (Wednesday night) to update again....just in case we see a big belly-flop splash.

Out of curiosity, do you keep the original version, from the start of the offseason?  It'd be an interesting exercise to just compare beginning vs end.  

Minasian's FA strategy, over the last few years, seems to have been to try to spread around the money as much as possible and improve the depth as much as possible.

If you do, when the offseason is done, you should re-post the original and have it sit side-by-side to the final one.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Out of curiosity, do you keep the original version, from the start of the offseason?  It'd be an interesting exercise to just compare beginning vs end.  

Minasian's FA strategy, over the last few years, seems to have been to try to spread around the money as much as possible and improve the depth as much as possible.

If you do, when the offseason is done, you should re-post the original and have it sit side-by-side to the final one.

I should have, but I don't - I just update it as things unfold.

13 minutes ago, mmc said:

Oliva, Unroe, Flores, Suarez added at AAA phase of Rule 5 Draft, not sure if any are worth being in the light blue tier, Rosenberg, our pick last year, made it on the 40 man pretty quickly

Oliva and Unroe could be worthy of the light blue tier

Flores and Suarez were in Single-A last season, so they aren’t.

• Angelsjunky changed the title to 2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 12/8)

Updated with Estevez to the 26-man, and Oliva and Unroe to the "blue tier."

I also changed Barria to dark read (Probably Players) because he will presumably make the major league roster, due to his lack of options.

I also probably should have Rengifo at 2B, Urshela as UT, given the latter's assumed role as moving around a lot, while Luis will primarily be 2B (and maybe SS).

12 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I also changed Barria to dark read (Probably Players) because he will presumably make the major league roster, due to his lack of options.

I also probably should have Rengifo at 2B, Urshela as UT, given the latter's assumed role as moving around a lot, while Luis will primarily be 2B (and maybe SS).

So, who is this Luis Soto playing infield? Is he any good? 😜

58 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Oliva is an OF and Unroe is an INF.