• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 2/16)

Angelsjunky

I actually don't hate this roster but it will look a lot better with a SS or 2B and another BP arm, possibly another starter. I'd think Silseth is the 6-man as of now, but Canning, C-Rod, and of course, Davidson have a shot.

58 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I actually don't hate this roster but it will look a lot better with a SS or 2B and another BP arm, possibly another starter. I'd think Silseth is the 6-man as of now, but Canning, C-Rod, and of course, Davidson have a shot.

I think this roster at its core is now fine, since they added another SP, OF, and INF in Anderson, Renfroe, and Urshela.

But they could use some more depth at a couple spots. Whether it’s backup catcher, SS or another middle infielder, a backup outfielder, a 6th starter, or the bullpen.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I think this roster at its core is now fine, since they added another SP, OF, and INF in Anderson, Renfroe, and Urshela.

But they could use some more depth at a couple spots. Whether it’s backup catcher, SS or another middle infielder, a backup outfielder, a 6th starter, or the bullpen.

I'm fine with Thaiss as the backup C for now and the future. If he can catch at the major league level, his offensive potential helps and that he's a lefty hitter. Works for me.

The more I look at it, the MINF is the weakspot in this lineup, and whether thats a SS or a 2B (Josh Harrison?) They need to add someone. Moniak, Adell, and the crew at AAA will be fine for backup OF. Adding a starter helps almost as much as a MINF, as it pushes everyone down and there is less pressure. But they may feel that their depth, plus Canning and C-Rod's return will be enough.

BP needs one more proven arm. I think. Whether that's a closer or an 8th inning guy, they'll add.

53 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I'm fine with Thaiss as the backup C for now and the future. If he can catch at the major league level, his offensive potential helps and that he's a lefty hitter. Works for me.

The more I look at it, the MINF is the weakspot in this lineup, and whether thats a SS or a 2B (Josh Harrison?) They need to add someone. Moniak, Adell, and the crew at AAA will be fine for backup OF. Adding a starter helps almost as much as a MINF, as it pushes everyone down and there is less pressure. But they may feel that their depth, plus Canning and C-Rod's return will be enough.

BP needs one more proven arm. I think. Whether that's a closer or an 8th inning guy, they'll add.

Outfield isn't a major issue because we have Walsh who can fill in there if needed and Urshela can play first base. The problem is that we don't have a real shortstop. We have guys who can play there, but none of them rate especially well there. And having a Fletcher as middle infield(/corner infield/outfield) depth is tremendous. 

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

But do we know that Thaiss can catch at the MLB level? There are so many intricacies to catching, and I’m not sure he’s mastered them all.

Harrison doesn’t move the needle enough IMO. Wong or Segura at 2B would, if you can’t get a premium SS.

My concern with the SP depth is if Canning and Rodriguez are injured, Davidson flops and is out of options so he’s DFA’d, and then you’re down to Silseth and Rosenberg or AA guys?

The bullpen does need more certainty, but the issue is that there are very few certain relievers. I would like them try to do something at the MLB level there l, though.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

Moniak, Adell, and the crew at AAA will be fine for backup OF.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Outfield isn't a major issue because we have Walsh who can fill in there if needed and Urshela can play first base. The problem is that we don't have a real shortstop. We have guys who can play there, but none of them rate especially well there. And having a Fletcher as middle infield(/corner infield/outfield) depth is tremendous. 

I disagree with the idea that backup OF isn’t a need and is fine.

Adell and Moniak are horrible offensively. I’d like to keep Walsh, Urshela, and Fletcher in the infield to serve as backups there for underperformance/injuries.

I don’t think they need to invest a ton on a 4th OF, but just get someone with a higher floor. Like a Gamel, Ortega, or Naquin type in free agency. Worst case, you DFA them if they flop. But I want to be able to have both Adell and Moniak play everyday in AAA if they aren’t ready rather than forcing one of them to be the 4th OF or starting OF if someone gets hurt.

16 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Adell and Moniak are horrible offensively. I’d like to keep Walsh, Urshela, and Fletcher in the infield to serve as backups there for underperformance/injuries.

I don’t think they need to invest a ton on a 4th OF, but just get someone with a higher floor. Like a Gamel, Ortega, or Naquin type in free agency. Worst case, you DFA them if they flop. But I want to be able to have both Adell and Moniak play everyday in AAA if they aren’t ready rather than forcing one of them to be the 4th OF or starting OF if someone gets hurt.

I didn't say it was nothing. I said it was not a major issue. In an ideal world, there's a handful of positions I'd love to upgrade. 

3 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I didn't say it was nothing. I said it was not a major issue. In an ideal world, there's a handful of positions I'd love to upgrade. 

I guess it’s not a major issue, but it’s one that should be filled since it can be done so cheaply— unlike other needs.

5 hours ago, Trendon said:

Depth is really the key thing here.  Injuries happen all the time in this sport, and the key question is how would this team perform if they lost some players?

This is why I feel they'll acquire a SS and also get a backup catcher - both areas are in need of depth, as an injury or two would leave us in bad shape for those positions.  I feel that's also true for the OF, but I'm less optimistic they'll fill those spots, and rather will probably roll with Moniak as the 4th OF and perhaps use Walsh/Rengifo in the corner OF spots occasionally.  Still, if any of our starting 3 OFers get hurt, it'll get ugly fairly quickly - Moniak and Adell don't inspire confidence, and there's really no veritable options beyond them, either.

I'm actually feeling pretty good about our SP depth.  Beyond our starting 5, there are multiple decent options in AAA.  The bullpen, IMO, can use one more solid piece, along with various random flyers.  I'm actually hoping that CRod can emerge as a bullpen cog, in the way that he nicely filled that spot in 2021 to start the year.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Given Trout's recent health track record, and Ward's injury issues, there's a very real possibility that we could, at some point, see an OF of Adell LF, Moniak CF, Renfroe RF.  That would cost us a LOT of games.  I do feel OF depth should be a priority.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

I feel that's also true for the OF, but I'm less optimistic they'll fill those spots, and rather will probably roll with Moniak as the 4th OF and perhaps use Walsh/Rengifo in the corner OF spots occasionally.  Still, if any of our starting 3 OFers get hurt, it'll get ugly fairly quickly - Moniak and Adell don't inspire confidence, and there's really no veritable options beyond them, either.

I have the same sentiments as you regarding the OF.

It shouldn’t be that difficult to add a decent 4th OF, so I hope they make an effort to do so. Even if it’s a Matt Duffy-esque signing in the OF, that’s still a 0 WAR player as opposed to a negative WAR player.

Still a player would still be better than guys like Whitefield, Thomas, Sierra, Lagares, Harrison, and Duggar

8 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

I suspect the backup catcher will end up being a competition between Thaiss, Wallach, and O'Hoppe. 

Maybe.  I think this FO places a huge emphasis on catching talent, so I would still think they'd get a traditional backup catcher, but a few things can influence that:

1.  Do they feel Thaiss is genuinely capable of being a solid defensive catcher?  That's probably the key part - if they don't, then they likely enter the season with Wallach as the backup, which I don't think I'd like to see - I'd rather him be considered AAA depth that gets a few starts, as opposed to being a roster mainstay backup catcher.

2.  How close to being ready do they think O'Hoppe is?  If they think he may need just a month or two more, then I think they'll forego a backup catcher and make due with what they have until he's ready.  If they feel he needs another full season though, or close to it, I would assume they'd get a backup catcher to help "raise the floor" of outcomes for us.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Maybe.  I think this FO places a huge emphasis on catching talent, so I would still think they'd get a traditional backup catcher, but a few things can influence that:

1.  Do they feel Thaiss is genuinely capable of being a solid defensive catcher?  That's probably the key part - if they don't, then they likely enter the season with Wallach as the backup, which I don't think I'd like to see - I'd rather him be considered AAA depth that gets a few starts, as opposed to being a roster mainstay backup catcher.

2.  How close to being ready do they think O'Hoppe is?  If they think he may need just a month or two more, then I think they'll forego a backup catcher and make due with what they have until he's ready.  If they feel he needs another full season though, or close to it, I would assume they'd get a backup catcher to help "raise the floor" of outcomes for us.

With rule changes of throwing over to first base twice you will need a strong throwing arm catcher.

As far as I can tell, Murphy, Torres, Joyce, Holder and Webb are not on the 40-man roster. 

Anyhow, updated the chart. I think the main roster questions now are:

- Who is the sixth starter (or will they go with a five-man rotation)? Davidson is probably the place-holder for now - at least until one of Silseth, Bush, Canning, C-Rod, etc, is proven to be healthy and/or with some more minor league innings...I don't see the Angels starting the year with any of them in the rotation, and all will get some time in AAA before being called up, except maybe if Canning and/or C-Rod look great in spring.

- Who is the fourth outfielder? I have Moniak slotted in, and I think Urshela will get some time in the corners, but wouldn't be surprised if they pick up at least a minor league free agent who can play CF.

Who is extra infielder? I have Soto as default, but think they might pick up another guy. Velazquez maybe.

- What will the bullpen look like? Again, I've got a default list, but only Herget, Quijada, Tepera, Loup, and maybe Barria, are locks. 

I suppose there's an outside chance there's another big signing: either a shortstop or another starting pitcher. But I doubt it. 

• Angelsjunky changed the title to 2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 12/1)
5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

- Who is the sixth starter (or will they go with a five-man rotation)?

Unless they make an external addition, I’d say it’s one of Canning, Davidson, Rodriguez, or Silseth. I’d move Canning and Rodriguez into the possible players tier, since they are both apparently going to be healthy for Spring Training.

- Who is the fourth outfielder?

Unless they make an external addition, Moniak is the safe bet.

Who is extra infielder?

Unless they make an external addition, probably Velazquez since he’s the best defensively and they can let Soto play everyday in AAA.

What will the bullpen look like? 

This is the biggest question. I’d put Barría as a lock, since he’s out of options and they tendered him a contract.

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

Unless they make an external addition, I’d say it’s one of Canning, Davidson, Rodriguez, or Silseth. I’d move Canning and Rodriguez into the possible players tier, since they are both apparently going to be healthy for Spring Training.

I'm holding off on moving them there until we actually see them pitching, and healthy.

Unless they make an external addition, Moniak is the safe bet.

Unless they make an external addition, probably Velazquez since he’s the best defensively and they can let Soto play everyday in AAA.

Yes, probably true. My guess, though, is that Soto and Velazquez go into spring competing for the spot, with Velazquez the default.

This is the biggest question. I’d put Barría as a lock, since he’s out of options and they tendered him a contract.

Yep. This is also an area where we might see an addition or two.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm holding off on moving them there until we actually see them pitching, and healthy.

Yes, probably true. My guess, though, is that Soto and Velazquez go into spring competing for the spot, with Velazquez the default.

Yep. This is also an area where we might see an addition or two.

Angels will sign another starter. Prices are going up on starters.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Angels will sign another starter. Prices are going up on starters.

I find this somewhat doubtful.  It would seem to be disadvantageous to have 6 starters who are required to stay on the 26-man roster at all times.  It would be a much better situation to have that 6th spot somewhat rotate, so that they can keep an extra spot fluid on the roster.

7 hours ago, Trendon said:

I find it doubtful that CRod will be ticketed for a starting spot.  I guess anything is possible, but over the last 6 years, he has pitched a combined 127 innings.  His health track record is awful, and I would, at this point, just hope we can somehow cobble together 50 or so innings in relief out of him.  If he can become a good reliever for us, that would be a huge win at this point.