• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 2/16)

Angelsjunky

On 11/8/2022 at 2:55 PM, Angelsjunky said:

As with last year, I'll be updating this as the offseason commences (can a moderator sticky this?)

To start, I'm including everyone on the 40-man roster, plus most guys that could conceivably either make the 26-man roster on Opening Day and/or start in the high minors and be called up within the first month or two. Obviously some of these guys are dubious and many won't see the major league team. But to start, best to take a big umbrella approach. Anyone I'm missing?

image.png

So now:

Add: Anderson

Remove: Toussaint, Zastryzny, Walters, Molina, Palomaki, and Fitch.

• Angelsjunky changed the title to 2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 11/16)
  • Angelsjunky changed the title to 2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 11/19)
  • Angelsjunky changed the title to 2023 26-Man Roster (Updated 11/23)
36 minutes ago, Trendon said:

For comparison, here’s a look at last year’s graphic by @Angelsjunky:

FD4772F6-0B5E-476A-BAA9-3937475349A5.jpeg

Compared to 2023’s:

DE4B1B2E-7973-48A7-84B7-2E6967F7868D.jpeg

Two observations: On paper, at this point in the off-season, the pen looks much more shallow than last off-season. But basically everything else looks significantly deeper. And the pen is probably the easiest area to cobble together decent replacements at low cost. 

22 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Two observations: On paper, at this point in the off-season, the pen looks much more shallow than last off-season. But basically everything else looks significantly deeper. And the pen is probably the easiest area to cobble together decent replacements at low cost. 

I think there's pretty promising reliever depth in AAA, but they aren't ready yet.  So I think for the remainder of the offseason, Perry will have to try to find a few undervalued relievers that can help serve as the bridge between the start of the season and the end.  Joyce, Murphy, Ingram, Torres - a number of guys who look promising, but they can't be considered options just yet.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see a few of those relievers (Weiss, Ortega, Wantz) start off in AAA.  The core relievers, for now, I see as Herget, Tepera, Loup, Quijada.  Barria can be added to that, mainly because he's out of options.  Davidson probably as well, although I see him as a DFA option too.

So for now - I'd say there are 5 core guys, which means we can potentially add about 3 more.

20 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think there's pretty promising reliever depth in AAA, but they aren't ready yet.  So I think for the remainder of the offseason, Perry will have to try to find a few undervalued relievers that can help serve as the bridge between the start of the season and the end.  Joyce, Murphy, Ingram, Torres - a number of guys who look promising, but they can't be considered options just yet.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see a few of those relievers (Weiss, Ortega, Wantz) start off in AAA.  The core relievers, for now, I see as Herget, Tepera, Loup, Quijada.  Barria can be added to that, mainly because he's out of options.  Davidson probably as well, although I see him as a DFA option too.

So for now - I'd say there are 5 core guys, which means we can potentially add about 3 more.

This is well considered, though I think because of that minor league depth (both relievers and starters) and the secondary (non core) major league guys you mention, the "potentially add 3" will become "actually add 1 or 2" with 2 being more likely than 1.

33 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

This is well considered, though I think because of that minor league depth (both relievers and starters) and the secondary (non core) major league guys you mention, the "potentially add 3" will become "actually add 1 or 2" with 2 being more likely than 1.

2 waiver wire types, or $3-5m signings/trades?

Agree with War/AJ/PB.  I see Barria as an important piece given his success as an inexpensive long-man with no options.  To avoid repeating the "depth deficiencies" we experienced in the IF/OF last year, I'd like to see us take a similar approach to the BP by adding at least two more MLB options.  We'd be better suited to withstand the inevitable BP injuries.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

29 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

2 waiver wire types, or $3-5m signings/trades?

Sure, I can see that.  I think 2 could be added - maybe deals similar to what we saw Bradley sign last offseason.  There are tons of reliever options on the market in general, so it likely won't be hard to find some intriguing options who can serve in this capacity and help bridge the gap.

So to sum up, I think we could see a starting pen of:  Herget, Tepera, Loup, Quijada, Barria, then 2 FA signings, and the last spot can be whoever earns it amongst the optionable relievers we have in spring training.  The rest will serve as AAA depth, which we know will be needed throughout the course of a long season.

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Sure, I can see that.  I think 2 could be added - maybe deals similar to what we saw Bradley sign last offseason.  There are tons of reliever options on the market in general, so it likely won't be hard to find some intriguing options who can serve in this capacity and help bridge the gap.

So to sum up, I think we could see a starting pen of:  Herget, Tepera, Loup, Quijada, Barria, then 2 FA signings, and the last spot can be whoever earns it amongst the optionable relievers we have in spring training.  The rest will serve as AAA depth, which we know will be needed throughout the course of a long season.

My guess is that after last years signings, Minasian is putting his team to work to try to find hidden gems. I can see him playing it cool with relievers and waiting for the market to settle, then grabbing a couple bargains.