• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Minasian says Ohtani will not be traded

mmc

The only way this backfires is if he suffers a serious injury before the trade deadline. If the team isn't competitive in July, and they haven't worked out an extension by then, he can still be moved in July. If he's healthy, I don't think the return would be much different than what it would be right now.

3 minutes ago, ukyah said:

nope.

?

3 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Be prepared to be disappointed….I predict not much is going to happen, with the sale pending…

yeah, I don't expect much to happen this offseason ownership-wise. My point was that, outside of new ownership coming into place, there isn't a transaction that'll define the Angels next 5-10 years.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

?

yeah, I don't expect much to happen this offseason ownership-wise. My point was that, outside of new ownership coming into place, there isn't a transaction that'll define the Angels next 5-10 years.

Sure there is.

There's no way the Angels will have a "normal" offseason with the impending sale of the team. And if they somehow do, then expect there to be the same internal cap.

Problem #1: Arte might not want to spend big if he's on the way out, plus if a new owner is announced right before the season starts then all the good players available might already be gone. That in itself handicaps the team for next season. Like i've been saying all along, the Angels will have a gap year.

Problem #2: What happens if the Angels whiff on the playoffs? Ohtani will walk. Period. Leaving the Angels with a cute comp pick in the draft. 

Problem #3: The Angels won't be able to rebuild an already ranked bottom 5 farm system by letting Ohtani walk in free agency. And it's not like they can make significant trades either. 

Problem #4: The Trout factor. Not making the playoffs, letting Ohtani walk and still having a terrible farm system has all but guaranteed 1 or 2 things for Trout after this season. Either he will request a trade to get out of Anaheim or he will stay, but the Angels would have officially wasted him as a superstar.

Once again, the Angels are in a corner forced with only 1 option. Make the playoffs and have a deep run. By saying Ohtani won't be traded has cemented their names in the "show up or get out" column for baseball in 2023. Perry is on the hot seat and this time it's Trout and Ohtani putting the light on him. 

24 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Once again, the Angels are in a corner forced with only 1 option. Make the playoffs and have a deep run. By saying Ohtani won't be traded has cemented their names in the "show up or get out" column for baseball in 2023. Perry is on the hot seat and this time it's Trout and Ohtani putting the light on him. 

You ignored the fact that the Angels can trade Ohtani at the deadline if they're out of contention.

By then, new ownership should be in place which means that Arte won't be there to block a deal.

The return at the trade deadline won't be that dissimilar from the return they'd get now, as teams will have a greater sense of urgency mid-season knowing they're in a position to make the playoffs.

14 minutes ago, Trendon said:

You ignored the fact that the Angels can trade Ohtani at the deadline if they're out of contention.

By then, new ownership should be in place which means that Arte won't be there to block a deal.

The return at the trade deadline won't be that dissimilar from the return they'd get now, as teams will have a greater sense of urgency mid-season knowing they're in a position to make the playoffs.

I think it would be significantly different. Trading Ohtani in the offseason can guarantee the other team some time to negotiate a long-term contract thus possibly making the trade deal more valuable.  

3 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

So basically the Angels are forced to make the playoffs or watch Ohtani walk. 

Perry is on the hot seat and it might be compromised with Arte leaving/new owner BS. 

The 2022 offseason might literally define the Angels for the next 5-10 years. 

GOOD GOD......

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

The only thing this offseason literally defining the Angels for the next 5-10 years is who the new owner is.

3 hours ago, ukyah said:

nope.

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

?

the nope was because i completely disagree. as big as an ownership change COULD be, it doesn't necessarily have to be much different at all. it could be net equal as far as wins and losses are concerned.

however, wherever they fall in the three true ohtani outcomes, which are sign him, trade him for players, let him leave in FA without receiving anything in return will almost assuredly be the single most defining event in the angels prospects for the next decade. ownership can only effect as much change if they blew the budget off of developement, scouting, and free agency to have a chance to equal the impact as ohtani's future.

8 minutes ago, ukyah said:

the nope was because i completely disagree. as big as an ownership change COULD be, it doesn't necessarily have to be much different at all. it could be net equal as far as wins and losses are concerned.

however, wherever they fall in the three true ohtani outcomes, which are sign him, trade him for players, let him leave in FA without receiving anything in return will almost assuredly be the single most defining event in the angels prospects for the next decade. ownership can only effect as much change if they blew the budget off of developement, scouting, and free agency to have a chance to equal the impact as ohtani's future.

Even if new ownership doesn't substantially increase payroll, I think new ownership could be different just in how much autonomy the baseball ops department gets.

The best GM's in baseball have no desire to work for Arte Moreno since he interferes with baseball ops. A new owner who stays out of the way would allow the Angels to bring in a top tier GM and let them do their job unencumbered.