• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

The second time this winter they've been connected to a bat first catcher. It's a head scratcher for sure, because that's what Thaiss is supposed to be, and O'Hoppe can also hit a ton comparatively. 

I'm thinking they don't have confidence in Thaiss so he'll be gone after Spring Training because he didn't have options, and if they do sign Sanchez, they'll keep O'Hoppe in AAA for more developmental time. 

It also makes sense that the Angels would want to keep O'Hoppe in AA last year after the trade even though it was evident he'd advanced beyond that level of play. I think Minasian is heavily invested in the pitchers in AA being a big part of the future of the organization, so to keep O'Hoppe with Silseth, Bush, Bachman and Erla only benefits their familiarity. So if those guys are all ticketed for AAA, it makes sense for O'Hoppe to be there too. 

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

It also makes sense that the Angels would want to keep O'Hoppe in AA last year after the trade even though it was evident he'd advanced beyond that level of play. I think Minasian is heavily invested in the pitchers in AA being a big part of the future of the organization, so to keep O'Hoppe with Silseth, Bush, Bachman and Erla only benefits their familiarity. So if those guys are all ticketed for AAA, it makes sense for O'Hoppe to be there too. 

also, i think perry wanted to give them a chance to win the title, since he puts such an emphasis on winning as a developmental skill.

5 hours ago, IheartLA said:

Nevin knows Sanchez so if he wants him then let's roll. Perry has basically put all the underachievers on notice from last year. Rendon, Fletcher, Walsh, Stassi, Adell, Moniak, Velazquez, etc and brought depth/competition for all of them. The free ride Angels' veterans had in the past where they would be penciled in regardless of performance are over.

i don't think your tone is representative, but i think there's truth in the words. everybody has a backup that can take their place effectively right now, except for a select two.

16 hours ago, Warfarin said:

A lot of teams also play the "service time" game, and you certainly can't blame them based on the huge value swing if you don't.  For someone like O'Hoppe, who hasn't even played in AAA yet, you can certainly understand it if they kept him down there for at least a few months.

Keep in mind the new top 3 rookie of the year finish/draft pick incentive to have your top prospects start the year with the big club. I don’t think O’Hoppe will be headed to SLC

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Tapia was a guy I wanted and thought he could be had for cheap.  Started looking at his defensive metrics and understood why nobody was signing him.  Perry did well to get Phillips.

Each of his deals this winter have looked better in retrospect than initial reactions. They aren't splashy, but in time they've revealed to have a degree of wisdom and foresight. 

I'm not convinced he's done nearly enough to pull the Angels back into the playoffs yet, or that he shouldn't have been buying but selling.... but he's also built a better team than what many pictured. Give credit where it's due.

I'd be ok with Gary Sanchez on the cheap deal.

His pop times are a little better than Stassi's (1.92avg. ranked 10th in the MLB compared to Stassi's 2.03) down to second base. Pop times are more about feet and release and pitchers hitting their locations He threw out 11 more base runners in 6 less games.

He seems to pull the ball quite a bit so the shift affected him a lot as he pulled the ball 67% of the time. But, he sucks against the slider though as do most of our hitters..

Overall, an upgrade compared to Stassi. Though we owe Stassi money...