• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

Has to be click bait.

Sanchez is mediocre behind the plate, and put up .618 and .659 OPS’ in 2020 and 2022.

I’d rather just give the 2nd catching job to O’Hoppe.  He’s ready defensively, and can’t be much worse at the plate than Sanchez has become.

Edited by Angel Oracle

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Has to be click bait.

Sanchez is mediocre behind the plate, and put up .618 and .659 OPS’ in 2020 and 2022.

I’d rather just give the 2nd catching job to O’Hoppe.  He’s ready defensively, and can’t be much worse at the plate than Sanchez has become.

I'm guessing they might expect him to play some games at 1B. Basically 2nd catcher/backup first baseman. 

Meh. I'd be ok with it as long as we're not done.

Nevin knows Sanchez so if he wants him then let's roll. Perry has basically put all the underachievers on notice from last year. Rendon, Fletcher, Walsh, Stassi, Adell, Moniak, Velazquez, etc and brought depth/competition for all of them. The free ride Angels' veterans had in the past where they would be penciled in regardless of performance are over.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I read he had a good year behind the plate last year. 

Catching metrics are variable, but they all seem to indicate he did perform better last year.  If the FO feels O'Hoppe isn't ready, then he is a slam dunk upgrade over Thaiss, so I'd support it in that a Stassi/Sanchez combo is significantly better than a Stassi/Thaiss combo (or Wallach, etc).  I'm thinking they are looking to sign someone to a 1 year deal, which should provide enough of a bridge to O'Hoppe.  

3 hours ago, mmc said:

Gomez has broken a couple deals recently (Segura and Cruz)

The Angels “showing a lot of interest” makes it sound exaggerated for leverage purposes.

On a one year deal, I wouldn’t mind Sánchez. I like O’Hoppe, but rushing him would be a huge mistake, and this would enable them to let him get more AAA experience.

26 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The Angels “showing a lot of interest” makes it sound exaggerated for leverage purposes.

On a one year deal, I wouldn’t mind Sánchez. I like O’Hoppe, but rushing him would be a huge mistake, and this would enable them to let him get more AAA experience.

A lot of teams also play the "service time" game, and you certainly can't blame them based on the huge value swing if you don't.  For someone like O'Hoppe, who hasn't even played in AAA yet, you can certainly understand it if they kept him down there for at least a few months.