• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

F@#% the Astros

Stradling

• Lou changed the title to F@#% the Astros

I remember a year or two ago, some here talking about how they were headed to decline...I think after losing Cole, Verlander's injury, etc. But they keep coming up with players. Correa was replaced by Jeremy Pena. Yordan Alvarez is maybe the most underappreciated  big hitter in the game (185 wRC+ in 2022 second highest in MLB; 164 from 2019-22 only surpassed by Trout and Judge). Kyle Tucker has turned into a star, and Jose Altuve's decline was premature. Then they develop guys like Framber Valdez and Cristian Javier...

They're just really good and, unfortunately for the Angels, looking like a dynasty.

42 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

They're just really good and, unfortunately for the Angels, looking like a dynasty.

They look to be as good next year.  It's quite possible they could be even better.  It's demoralizing that we have no shot at the division next year.  Even if they bring back Verlander on a 1 or 2 year deal, they'll still probably have some money to spend.  Not much but enough to probably upgrade 1b.  They had a top farm at one point.  It kinda sucks now but all the trades they made that put holes in it ended up being garbage players for other teams while the guys they kept have worked out big time.  2 years ago I was praying that their pitching losses might hurt them and that hopefully all those young guys wouldn't pan out.  Wrong.  Just like that Valdez, Javier, Urquidy, and Garcia bust out and now they're loaded again.  

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I remember a year or two ago, some here talking about how they were headed to decline...I think after losing Cole, Verlander's injury, etc. But they keep coming up with players. Correa was replaced by Jeremy Pena. Yordan Alvarez is maybe the most underappreciated  big hitter in the game (185 wRC+ in 2022 second highest in MLB; 164 from 2019-22 only surpassed by Trout and Judge). Kyle Tucker has turned into a star, and Jose Altuve's decline was premature. Then they develop guys like Framber Valdez and Cristian Javier...

This is why it's so important to build a strong farm system that can maintain developing our own players

Hopefully the new owner/s make this a priority

12 hours ago, Blarg said:

They are the best team in baseball this year. That's all there is to say about them. 

This.

I was listening to sports radio after game 3, when everyone on there was "Phillies have all the momentum! Good luck Astros, hahaha". And I kept thinking "it's still the astros".

Hate them all day long, but they've been about the most dominant team in baseball in recent history. Them and the dodgers.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This.

I was listening to sports radio after game 3, when everyone on there was "Phillies have all the momentum! Good luck Astros, hahaha". And I kept thinking "it's still the astros".

Hate them all day long, but they've been about the most dominant team in baseball in recent history. Them and the dodgers.

part of the reason why I couldn't get into the series.   Just felt like it was the astros all the way and wanted it over.  

I don't have the disdain for the Astros. They are in our division now, but growing up they were always a NL team that weren't very good outside of a couple years with the Killer B's. They haven't even been in the AL a decade.

I couldn't be more indifferent or give a fuck that they won.

Although, I thought they would decline when they started losing key components and star players only to retool and be just as strong. That's pretty impressive and something to admire. I wish the Angels could sustain or even build something like this.

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't have the disdain for the Astros. They are in our division now, but growing up they were always a NL team that weren't very good outside of a couple years with the Killer B's. They haven't even been in the AL a decade.

I couldn't be more indifferent or give a fuck that they won.

Although, I thought they would decline when they started losing key components and star players only to retool and be just as strong. That's pretty impressive and something to admire. I wish the Angels could sustain or even build something like this.

Not sure how old you are (though I'm thinking a few years younger than me, maybe?), but outside of their total rebuild a few years ago, they've been pretty consistently good since the early '90s.  14 of 16 years with a winning record from '93-'08, including 6 playoff appearances.

In hindsight, I actually wish the Angels would have tried their approach a few years back: just completely tanking for a few years, building up the farm system, and (hopefully...) coming back strong.  Consistent mediocrity or slightly worse is more frustrating than booms and busts, at least to me.