• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select Logan O'Hoppe, activate Archie Bradley, DFA Mike Mayers and Magneuris Sierra

mmc

There's actually no harm in having O'Hoppe activated, if that actually happens.  As mentioned by @jsnpritchett, he has to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason.  He can be activated and play a few games this season, and finish the season with 3 options remaining, which is what he will have entering next season anyway.

I would expect him to play most of next year in AAA regardless.  

• mmc changed the title to Angels select Logan O'Hoppe, activate Archie Bradley, DFA Mike Mayers and Magneuris Sierra
7 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah - as I mentioned upthread, there really is no harm/downside to this.  Usually, teams don't want to call up players and have to burn an option prematurely, but for O'Hoppe, he'll stay up for the remaining 8 games and finish the year with his 3 options.  He was going to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason, so why not let him play and get a few reps?  I would fully expect him to start next year in AAA, though.

What's interesting to me though is this continues a trend of players being promoted directly from AA, instead of going to AAA - Silseth, Whitefield, Soto, O'Hoppe, etc .. I don't follow other MLB franchises as closely - do other teams do this too?  It seems a bit unusual to have so many just skip AAA.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah - as I mentioned upthread, there really is no harm/downside to this.  Usually, teams don't want to call up players and have to burn an option prematurely, but for O'Hoppe, he'll stay up for the remaining 8 games and finish the year with his 3 options.  He was going to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason, so why not let him play and get a few reps?  I would fully expect him to start next year in AAA, though.

What's interesting to me though is this continues a trend of players being promoted directly from AA, instead of going to AAA - Silseth, Whitefield, Soto, O'Hoppe, etc .. I don't follow other MLB franchises as closely - do other teams do this too?  It seems a bit unusual to have so many just skip AAA.

I'm not a big fan of this since we've already developed a bad reputation of rushing players (some of whom eventually figured it out, like Detmers, and some of whom, like Adell and Marsh, who never did). Even Rutschman played about 50 games in AAA before being called up, and Alvarez is still (struggling) in AAA after destroying AA. This just seems like another precursor for either making O'Hoppe a sparingly used backup to start next year or shuttling him back and forth incessantly between AAA and the majors.  

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Could be because other teams have a front office capable of finding talent. The Angels don't resulting in AAA team that looks more like an independent baseball team.

3 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

I'm not a big fan of this since we've already developed a bad reputation of rushing players (some of whom eventually figured it out, like Detmers, and some of whom, like Adell and Marsh, who never did). Even Rutschman played about 50 games in AAA before being called up, and Alvarez is still (struggling) in AAA after destroying AA. This just seems like another precursor for either making O'Hoppe a sparingly used backup to start next year or shuttling him back and forth incessantly between AAA and the majors.  

I think O'Hoppe's case is probably a little different than the others - the MILB season is over, he will be added to the 40-man roster this offseason, so for his situation, I see this as just a chance to start a few games and get a taste of the majors.  I would expect him to start next year in AAA and largely remain there.  The Soto promotion, though, really did come out of nowhere - the MILB season was still going on, but he got promoted anyway.

What is interesting in terms of the "bad reputation" part is that that reputation was developed under Eppler's time as GM, but the trend has somewhat continued with Minasian.  Usually, when you see a new GM, you see a different philosophy instilled.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think O'Hoppe's case is probably a little different than the others - the MILB season is over, he will be added to the 40-man roster this offseason, so for his situation, I see this as just a chance to start a few games and get a taste of the majors.  I would expect him to start next year in AAA and largely remain there.  The Soto promotion, though, really did come out of nowhere - the MILB season was still going on, but he got promoted anyway.

What is interesting in terms of the "bad reputation" part is that that reputation was developed under Eppler's time as GM, but the trend has somewhat continued with Minasian.  Usually, when you see a new GM, you see a different philosophy instilled.

I certainly hope O'Hoppe spends most of next year in AAA, regardless of his performance, and when he's ready to be called, he's made the undisputed starter (and not splitting time with Stassi). Same with Soto. 

Regarding the latter, it's probably the consequence of our atrocious org depth, which hasn't really improved under Minasian. Our two catchers that started the year are both batting like .180, they're probably trying to drum up excitement with O'Hoppe (which IMO is not a justification for rushed promotions). 

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

The Trash Pandas had Neto to play SS so it wasn't a big deal for them....Soto has played some 2b but the Pandas had Jeremiah Jackson to play there....

O'Hoppe isn't being rushed to the majors. This isn't May or June, it's the last few series of the year. This is more of a reward for excelling beyond expectations in AA and a chance to put on a real Angels jersey and play on his future home field. This isn't some soul crushing grind of continuous pressure to perform. 

If he shows he has what it takes in Spring Training then AAA is just repititions with lesser talent. If they see flaws that need time to iron out, Salt Lake is a two hour plane ticket. There is no negatives going on here.

Some players are ready earlier than others. O'Hoppe may be that guy. Regardless, I bought a ticket for tonight's game just to see if they are going to let him play. Should be fun to watch. 

Keep in mind, teams are promoting their top prospects for September call ups because there is added incentive for top finishers in Rookie of the Year voting. They obviously won't exhaust their rookie status in September, so next season, the Angels will have an opportunity to get additional draft picks if Logan O'Hoppe performs well. 

So it benefits all parties for O'Hoppe to get this experience. 

Remember how Adley Rutschman struggled in his first 100+ plate appearances, but has pretty much been the best catcher in baseball since? Now imagine he got those out of the way last year and was up the full season for Baltimore. There wouldn't even be a debate between him and Rodriguez in Seattle. 

That's what the Angels are doing with O'Hoppe. 

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

Keep in mind, teams are promoting their top prospects for September call ups because there is added incentive for top finishers in Rookie of the Year voting. They obviously won't exhaust their rookie status in September, so next season, the Angels will have an opportunity to get additional draft picks if Logan O'Hoppe performs well. 

So it benefits all parties for O'Hoppe to get this experience. 

Remember how Adley Rutschman struggled in his first 100+ plate appearances, but has pretty much been the best catcher in baseball since? Now imagine he got those out of the way last year and was up the full season for Baltimore. There wouldn't even be a debate between him and Rodriguez in Seattle. 

That's what the Angels are doing with O'Hoppe. 

Dude, there is maybe 16-20 plate appearances for O'Hoppe before the season ends. This isn't about development. It's a close up look see.