• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jose Mota on the "Contact Play"

Its not just the ROC play.  Its all the other stupid outs the Angels make on the basepaths.

Don't we lead the league every year in outs on basepaths?

Thought about this yesterday.

This could be the reason Scioscia puts that play on, rather than letting the runner decide on going or not.

Too many basepath knuckleheads to allow for any thinking to be done out there.

Lifetime, on 04 Mar 2013 - 12:57, said:

every year?

2011: made the 5th most outs

2010: made the 6th most outs

2009: made the most outs

2008: made the 2nd most outs

2007: 2nd most outs

2006: 2nd most outs

Should I continue? Point is, we're consistently near the bottom of the league

2011: made the 5th most outs

2010: made the 6th most outs

2009: made the most outs

2008: made the 2nd most outs

2007: 2nd most outs

2006: 2nd most outs

Should I continue? Point is, we're consistently near the bottom of the league

thanks, that wasn't the question

yes I am aware.

They also led the league in Extra Bases Taken both of those years. Just looking at outs on the bases doesn't tell the whole story.

So "you are aware", yet you ask the question.

A new board format can't eliminate your stench.

The problem with the play for the Angels is predictability. It's overused to the point that the element of surprise is eliminated. This is a play that should be used infrequently as a strategic play and with the right kind of players on the bases and in the box. It is not a play that should be used every time the opportunity presents itself. Being aggressive for the sake of being aggressive is not smart baseball.

i agree.

i'd still like to see how frequently it's been successful for the halos.

Every year we make more than the median amount of outs on the basepaths. Scioscia's philosophy is supposed to be agressive, not wreckless. These last 4 years or so Im getting tired of players making stupid outs and then Scioscia patting them on the ass when they come into the dugout as if hes proud of them

Every year we make more than the median amount of outs on the basepaths. Scioscia's philosophy is supposed to be agressive, not wreckless. These last 4 years or so Im getting tired of players making stupid outs and then Scioscia patting them on the ass when they come into the dugout as if hes proud of them

Only because he still misses Mathis. Try not to read so much into it.

The problem with the play for the Angels is predictability. It's overused to the point that the element of surprise is eliminated. This is a play that should be used infrequently as a strategic play and with the right kind of players on the bases and in the box. It is not a play that should be used every time the opportunity presents itself. Being aggressive for the sake of being aggressive is not smart baseball.

I don't often agree with Lifetime...

...But he is spot on with this analysis.

We had so many boneheaded outs on the base paths last year. Guys just simply running into outs or not using their heads during contact . It ruins momentum and is no wonder they didn't make the playoffs. At this level you just can't waste outs like that and expect to be competitive.

Gotta say I have not been happy with Scioscia's over aggressiveness the past couple seasons, and I don't agree with Mota's comments on this subject either.