• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

WIll the Angels have a new owner before the start of the 2023 season?

beatlesrule

Will the Angels have a new owner before the start of the 2023 season?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Angels have a new owner before the start of the 2023 season?

• Yes
    • No

Even if this process somehow goes by quickly, it'll basically be impossible for it to have a positive impact on the upcoming offseason.  The only way we'd see a significant payroll hike is if the new owner takes over by, say, the winter meetings, which just doesn't seem likely at all.  Has any recent sale been completed in just a couple of months?

9 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

So strange I feel like I've been hearing about this impending recession ever since the beginning of 2021 and yet here we are, still waiting for this impending recession. It's almost like some people don't really know what causes a recession, but they keep talking about it over and over for years in hopes that some way or another it can be willed into existence.

I guess if people say there will be an impending recession long enough eventually when it does happen they can say they were right.

it's because economics is not a science.  economists don't know, they have informed opinions. a scientist in whatever field knows the answer. if the question has been proven, then it doesn't matter what opinions may exist. 

my opinion is that we would be in or headed into a recession if our and the global economy were actually still related to the markets they represent. they are not. our economies are now no better than slight of hand.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, axalar said:

Based on what I’ve heard recently, Arte is not super motivated to move this process along quickly (read: he’s getting cold feet).

I have no idea if you have real connections that would have told you something like that, but if this is remotely true, it's kind of silly.  He's getting old, his family has no interest in overseeing the team, and he's already announced he's exploring a sale.  If he were to pull back at this point, it would just cause more chaos and instability.

On 9/15/2022 at 8:20 PM, Taylor said:

@Second Base had a good explanation for why it will probably take closer to 2 years. I forget the explanation but I remember being convinced by it. 

16 months was the number I came up with based on the length of time it took previous clubs on the market. If I'm not mistaken, the sale has to be voted on by current MLB owners, sand they only met once per year, typically in November. It's worth keeping in mind, that teams knew who won the bidding and would be purchasing the team long before the actual sale went through, as was the case with Cohen and the Mets, and the ownership group that purchased the Dodgers. 

Just a blind guess on my part, but I think it'll be narrowed down to two or three groups by December, and then there's going to be some drama, because it's the Angels, and a "will they, won't they" kind of a thing, but they'll settle on a purchasing party around Memorial Day, and then all the lawyer stuff will ensure, and in November 2023, it'll be official. 

13 hours ago, axalar said:

Based on what I’ve heard recently, Arte is not super motivated to move this process along quickly (read: he’s getting cold feet).

I heard Ken Rosenthal say on his podcast that Arte Moreno may be motivated to get a sale done as quickly as possible:

”I would imagine it could be sooner than [Opening Day 2023]. Arte Moreno— from what I understand— when he makes a decision, he wants to act sooner rather than later and he will want to accelerate this process.”

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I heard Ken Rosenthal say on his podcast that Arte Moreno may be motivated to get a sale done as quickly as possible:

”I would imagine it could be sooner than [Opening Day 2023]. Arte Moreno— from what I understand— when he makes a decision, he wants to act sooner rather than later and he will want to accelerate this process.”

Oh that would be awesome! Not sure where Ken gets his sources but it does make sense.

13 minutes ago, ScottSted said:

Little birdie tells me that Lacob is finalizing a group to submit an offer. He has been building a team for a few weeks.

I hope your birdie is right.

Among the speculated candidates, Lacob would be my preferred candidate.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:45 AM, Stradling said:

I think we will know the new owner, but I don’t think it will be finalized until we are into next season. Unless something happens in the next few weeks, before the end of the season, in which case they could possibly vote upon it at the winter meetings.  

I think this is about right.  But even the new owner part has died down in talks lately.  

In the grand scheme of things though.  It's a bad time to sell.  The market, which directly is tied to a lot of these billionaires fortunes, is not doing well, and the future is uncertain.  Which may mean they have less money, or assets that they are willing to spend/risk.  But could also mean it's a good time to buy low for a buyer.  

This is also bad news for the Angels.  Since typically, when a team is about to sell, the team goes in either sell mode, or a holding pattern, and don't want to add debt to their books until a new owner is found and oks moves.  

2 hours ago, ScottSted said:

Little birdie tells me that Lacob is finalizing a group to submit an offer. He has been building a team for a few weeks.

I'd like to know who the other names are before I get too excited.   Apparently he owns about 25% of the GSW.  With a net worth of 1.5bil.  Some back of the napkin math tells me that about 90% of his net worth is tied up in the Warriors.  

• 1 month later...