• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

[Athletic] Joe Maddon Sounds off on Analytics

Angelsjunky

1233605929.0.jpg

https://theathletic.com/3568605/2022/09/06/joe-maddon-analytics-baseball/

While at first glance he sounds a bit bitter and "don't tell me what to do," reading his overall point, I kind of agree with him. There is a balance between "people stuff" and math. Spin rate is useful information, but a pitcher should also be paying attention to the feel of the ball (yes, as it comes out of the hand).

Don't let the nerds win.

It’s pretty clear from this interview (and others) that Joe and Perry were not on the same page.

What’s odd to me, though, is that Perry was clearly very emotional and sad at the press conference discussing Maddon’s firing.

Was it an act? It doesn’t seem like you’d be that emotional in firing a guy who you were clearly in disagreement with.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

It’s pretty clear from this interview (and others) that Joe and Perry were not on the same page.

What’s odd to me, though, is that Perry was clearly very emotional and sad at the press conference discussing Maddon’s firing.

Was it an act? It doesn’t seem like you’d be that emotional in firing a guy who you were clearly in disagreement with.

You can disagree and still like someone/be sad to see them go.  He could have been sad he wasn't able to make it work.   But if you're trying to build something and you have someone running interference the entire time -- I imagine that would get old no matter how much you like a guy.

A lot of this analytics stuff is about trusting the process.  Maddon says he believes in the stuff, but he has his own view of how the process goes.  I just doesn't seem like it was ever going to work between them.   I genuinely wonder if he didn't throw Eppler under the bus.

5 minutes ago, Trendon said:

You’ve never been at odds with someone that you liked or cared about?  It literally happens all the time in leadership. 

Maddon being upset that Montgomery was in the dugout is the funniest thing I have read.  Fuck off Joe!  I am glad you are bitter.  

I need to apologize again, because I used to say that Maddon was a more quotable Scioscia.  I am sorry I ever thought Maddon was in the same ballpark of manager as Scioscia.  

If there is one take away from Maddon’s time as manager here it should be that, he was not in fact, the brain trust behind the 2002 championship team.

What‘s funny about Maddon’s qualms here is that the Angels are probably towards the bottom of the league in terms of analytics usage, yet he still had qualms with it.

The only org I can think of that’s sort of anti-analytics would be the Rockies, who are just an inept organization starting at the top.

The transcription on The Athletic got messed up during parts of the interview.

If you listen to the interview, he was upset that Perry and Alex Tamin were in the clubhouse, and mentioned them both by name. He didn’t mention Montgomery by name.

9 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The transcription on The Athletic got messed up during parts of the interview.

If you listen to the interview, he was upset that Perry and Alex Tamin were in the clubhouse, and mentioned them both by name. He didn’t mention Montgomery by name.

Yes, apparently he never thought that maybe those guys wanted to see how he and his coaches were going about "implementing" the information they were giving him.  Guess they didn't like what they saw.