• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Predict the Angels Manager in 2023

BTH

Predict the Angels Manager in 2023  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Predict the Angels Manager in 2023

• New Manager is Hired from Outside the Angels Org
    • New Manager is Hired from Within the Angels Org
    • Phil Nevin is retained as Manager

This poll is closed to new votes

29 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Nevin kinda strikes me as a bit of a lug head.  Doesn't give the vibe of someone who would embrace analytics.  

I wonder what Minasian is thinking.  He has a clubhouse history himself and values chemistry as well as being pro-analytics.  Likely he wants his own guy in there but hopefully he’s communicating well with Nevin and will consider him at the end of the year.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

My only thought about Nevin and analytics is this.  If you were going to fire a fan favorite and take on all of the blame and responsibility wouldn’t you choose the guy that can implement the analytics that Joe refused to? 

I think he's doing it.  Or at least I'd bet he is.  And I not even really saying he doesn't get it or embrace them.  Just that he strikes me as the type that wouldn't.  

And by the way, Nevin got Lee Harvey'd.  No way you hand the guy you actually want for the job (Montgomery) this roster.  If this was Minasian's baby and he truly thought it could have been changed by dumping Maddon, he'd have given it to Ray expecting a turn around.  

Instead he dumped it on Nevin.  But it's not all bad for Phil.  Gives him something to put on his resume and if he gets called out for them sucking he can just show them the roster.  

And whether Phil wants to embrace analytics or not, he better at least pretend he does because no newer manager in this league is likely to get a job without doing so.  

On 9/7/2022 at 11:17 AM, Tank said:

i'd also talk with trout and ohtani about how they like playing for him. if ohtani likes him, it could be a positive thing in getting him to sign. if ohtani doesn't like him, it could be a consideration for trying to make him happy enough to stay with the halos.

In what universe do you see Ohtani not liking someone?

Edited by Slegnaac

On 9/16/2022 at 8:04 PM, Docwaukee said:

no offense Hubs.  You're out of your mind.  An 8 win minimum difference between Nevin and Maddon?  Come on dude.  

It’s ok. no offense taken. I’ve seen an inexperienced angry manager suck all season now and I can tell you an experienced hand would’ve swapped say 4-5 of the 1 run losses, bad bullpen decisions or weird lineups were the reason there and a bit of hard luck. i felt the same way about Ausmus. I’m definitely a Scioscia apologist but these past four seasons have shown me we were spoiled for 19 years with a great manager and it’s not as easy as some think.

And Nevin may be listening too much to Montgomery and the Stats people. There’s been some terrible managing and I woulD not be surprised if the Angels cleaned the entire slate. Perry and Phil… everyone. Bye.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

It’s ok. no offense taken. I’ve seen an inexperienced angry manager suck all season now and I can tell you an experienced hand would’ve swapped say 4-5 of the 1 run losses, bad bullpen decisions or weird lineups were the reason there and a bit of hard luck. i felt the same way about Ausmus. I’m definitely a Scioscia apologist but these past four seasons have shown me we were spoiled for 19 years with a great manager and it’s not as easy as some think.

And Nevin may be listening too much to Montgomery and the Stats people. There’s been some terrible managing and I woulD not be surprised if the Angels cleaned the entire slate. Perry and Phil… everyone. Bye.

There is always one guy who blames the manager for multiple guys hitting @.160.   Such a dumb way to evaluate.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

nd Nevin may be listening too much to Montgomery and the Stats people. There’s been some terrible managing and I woulD not be surprised if the Angels cleaned the entire slate. Perry and Phil… everyone. Bye.

I would be more than OK with this idea.

11 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

In what universe do you see Ohtani not liking someone?

admittedly that's probably a very short list of people, but i'd imagine there are things about managers that you and i don't know about that players like or don't like, and i'm sure ohtani has an opinion about nevin. it may not mean he hates or dislikes him, but he might not agree with the decisions phil makes or how he manages a game in general. 

8 hours ago, Hubs said:

Or, Nevin may not be listening to the “stats people” as much as he should.

We just don’t know.

I think the slate gets wiped clean after 2023, with a new owner presumably in place by then.

16 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Keep Nevin on as a bench coach. They need that kinda "red ass" attitude, just not at the helm as the manager. 

I wonder if the Angels might just flip the roles for Montgomery and Nevin.

Give the former front office guy, who worked with Perry, the final say while being the “good cop” and have Nevin be the “bad cop” who isn’t afraid to yell and has more playing/coaching/managerial experience.

9 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

There is always one guy who blames the manager for multiple guys hitting @.160.   Such a dumb way to evaluate.

As opposed to your elite level intelligence? GFY troll.

My opinions are just that. No need for insults but you’ve been a dick to everyone since you started posting. No one likes you. At least angelsfan1961 is a grumpy old man, you’re just a prick.

Nevin is doing a horrible job in my opinion, and in my opinion, players are slumping, they’re not being coached well, and not being put in places to succeed. That means that guys hitting .160 who hit .280 last year are doing poorly because of the manager and because of the front office.. 

But you don’t care if my opinion is good or bad, you’re just being a dick for the sake of being a dick. Again, GFY.

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

They really do.  They need at least one guy that will flip his shit and be a moron.  Better it be a coach than a player that can get suspended. 

There are plenty of other coaches with attitude… this one can’t coach.

On 9/18/2022 at 9:26 PM, Hubs said:

As opposed to your elite level intelligence? GFY troll.

My opinions are just that. No need for insults but you’ve been a dick to everyone since you started posting. No one likes you. At least angelsfan1961 is a grumpy old man, you’re just a prick.

Nevin is doing a horrible job in my opinion, and in my opinion, players are slumping, they’re not being coached well, and not being put in places to succeed. That means that guys hitting .160 who hit .280 last year are doing poorly because of the manager and because of the front office.. 

But you don’t care if my opinion is good or bad, you’re just being a dick for the sake of being a dick. Again, GFY.

If we wanted someone's opinion, we would most likely be looking to other  posters.   Not some guy who's track record  on relevant takes per post count is dismal at best.  Also  profanity laced posts are unbecoming and not a positive representation of this fine site.

Please remember that kids also tap in here and are more interested in learning something about the Angels without having to read some buffoon set a record for most obscenities used per paragraph.

On 9/20/2022 at 8:20 PM, Swordsman78 said:

If we wanted someone's opinion, we would most likely be looking to other  posters.   Not some guy who's track record  on relevant takes per post count is dismal at best.  Also  profanity laced posts are unbecoming and not a positive representation of this fine site.

Please remember that kids also tap in here and are more interested in learning something about the Angels without having to read some buffoon set a record for most obscenities used per paragraph.

My Track record on relevant takes over post is dismal at best?

F*CK Right off. I've been posting here for almost 20 years and yes I use obscenities cuz you pissed me off. You're a troll, call out legit long time posters and then give me crap about obscenities? My god man you have quickly managed to annoy every single long term poster with your know it all attitude, which is less reliant on facts than on opinions, but basically I'm getting you banned.

Good bye troll!