• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022 College Football Thread

10 minutes ago, Tank said:

this early in the season, is a coach fired because they've lost the team or just terribly mismanaged things?

ASU is a mess. They're under investigation by the NCAA for serious violations and they're 1-2 after losing to Eastern Washington, who played with their backup qb. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna48239

U. of Oregon apologizes for 'despicable chants' at football game

"The Deseret News, a newspaper in Salt Lake City, reported that the chants "were similar to what USC fans chanted at BYU last November." That incident also led the University of Southern California to apologize for the chants, which were heard on ESPN's national broadcast of the game."

4 hours ago, Lou said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna48239

U. of Oregon apologizes for 'despicable chants' at football game

"The Deseret News, a newspaper in Salt Lake City, reported that the chants "were similar to what USC fans chanted at BYU last November." That incident also led the University of Southern California to apologize for the chants, which were heard on ESPN's national broadcast of the game."

Was it something about the magic underwear?

On 9/18/2022 at 5:16 PM, St1ck said:

Don't be sleeping on EW. 

It was Eastern Michigan, but I digress.

In Nebraska's case, Scott Frost had been given three full years. They weren't expecting a UCF-type turnaround, but they were 3-9 three years in. Although they had a long string of one-score losses, they were repeatedly finding ways to lose close games, which speaks to coaching. The week that Frost was fired, Nebraska had a home game against Georgia Southern which they lost, giving up 45 points and over 600 yards of total offense. GSU probably won't match that total against anybody they play in the Sun Belt. Since his dismissal, stories have come out about Frost repeatedly being late for practice and not following up on recruiting calls. Nebraska wanted him to succeed (the native son, lured back home by Tom Osborne), so they gave him one last shot at righting the ship. The Huskers' first game gave the first hint that this wasn't going to happen: With an 11-point lead against Northwestern, Frost tried an onside kick, which Northwestern recovered. They drove the short field to cut the lead to four in a game that they eventually won. And yes, this is the same Northwestern who lost a home game to FCS Southern Illinois last week, a game in which they trailed by 14 in the fourth quarter.

Arizona State. What a cluster that place is. Things apparently got so bad at ASU that people within the program were sharing information with opponents so that they could get Herm Edwards removed. Edwards reportedly had no interest in learning NCAA regulations, and therefore he devoted no time to learning them. Not coincidentally, ASU is under NCAA investigation for recruiting violations within the football program - not that they have much to show for them, which is another part of the point.

I agree that Karl Dorrell at Colorado is probably next man up, followed closely by Bryan Harsin at Auburn. I don't know of anyone in the Big 12 who is in trouble (TCU fired Gary Patterson a year ago). the Big Ten or the ACC. Mike Norvell at Florida State was turning on a spit for a while, but that has abated a bit with the 3-0 start by the Seminoles. I am wondering how patient that Notre Dame is going to be with Marcus Freeman, if they continue to have embarrassments like the Marshall loss (and Cal could have beaten them last week).

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

The latest NCAA probation goes to...Air Force?  I have never heard of a service academy getting spanked for anything, 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34690748/air-force-football-placed-two-years-probation-recruiting-violations-covid-19-dead-periods

I'm not sure that I get it. The service academies recruit men and women to serve as military officers. Athletic competition is a sideline. Nobody gets recruited to a service academy solely for sports. My cousin played football for a year at AFA and he said that there was nothing glamorous about it, like there is on other campuses.

We have pay-for-play and free agency in college football, but talk to a kid at the wrong time or give him a t-shirt and buy him lunch and you can wind up on probation.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan