• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels Starting Pitching Next Year

Docwaukee

528a9ae2c9a348e99482aeb3ec8416b5.webp

Hopefully, this becomes the most straightforward part of the off season.  

Depth is there.  I think it's reasonable to assume that Detmers makes a bit of progress and Sandoval and Suarez probably hold steady.  Obviously contingent on Ohtani being Ohtani.  

By the numbers, Shohei will end up with about 6 starts less than those going every 5th.  That probably about 1 WAR as a starter.  If he were to miss about 15 games because of that in order to get some rest, that's about .35 WAR.  Just something to think about.  

I was leaning toward a trade for a front line guy, but now I wouldn't mind seeing them bring back Noah.  I think we could get him on a reasonable 3-4 year deal.  

But for the first time in a long time, I feel pretty confident that our SP doesn't need much.  

We have a lot of depth, especially LHP.  Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, Davidson, Quijada, Rosenberg, and Diaz all are left handed, and have started games.  

With Rodriguez and Canning hopefully returning from the right side, and the arms in AA, we shouldn't have to hunt for pitching, so maybe we can spend a great deal of effort, and money, improving the offense.  Shortstop, 3B, another outfielder that can hit should all be areas where improvement can be made. 

They have a solid foundation with Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers and Suarez. But they need two more reliable arms, preferably 2/3 types (given that they can’t score runs). 

They also need a first baseman, shortstop, left fielder, possibly right fielder, and a whole bullpen. Lots of work to do this off-season. 

5 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

We have a lot of depth, especially LHP.  Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, Davidson, Quijada, Rosenberg, and Diaz all are left handed, and have started games.  

With Rodriguez and Canning hopefully returning from the right side, and the arms in AA, we shouldn't have to hunt for pitching, so maybe we can spend a great deal of effort, and money, improving the offense.  Shortstop, 3B, another outfielder that can hit should all be areas where improvement can be made. 

Any plan placing hopes in Canning I am not a fan of. 

I say sign Rodon and take a flyer on Bauer. 

I would like them to sign Bassit and resign Lorenzen as the 6th man.

Rotation: Ohtani, Bassit, Sandoval, Detmers, Suarez, Lorenzen.

Off topic, but would also love to see them then grab Profar who can play both INF and OF. and Mancini to play 1B and also cover some OF. This would in theory provide lots of solid regulars to mix in at multiple positions.

5 minutes ago, OhtaniSan said:

I would like them to sign Bassit and resign Lorenzen as the 6th man.

Rotation: Ohtani, Bassit, Sandoval, Detmers, Suarez, Lorenzen.

Off topic, but would also love to see them then grab Profar who can play both INF and OF. and Mancini to play 1B and also cover some OF. This would in theory provide lots of solid regulars to mix in at multiple positions.

This, except substitute Syndergaard instead of Bassitt.

Syndergaard is 4 years younger, and they wouldn’t have to give up the 2nd round pick to bring him back.

No big money spent, except for Ohtani if re-signing him, but upgrading the team where needed.

For the first time in several years, I actually feel pretty good about the Angels starting pitching going forward.

As mentioned, Detmers has taken some steps forward.  Sandoval has been really good this year with the evolution of his change up, Suarez has upped his velocity, Ohtani is Ohtani, etc…

What really sucks is these pitchers get absolutely NO offensive help whatsoever.  Zero.  It has to be so disheartening for guys, especially Sandoval, to continuously lose games 2-1 and pitch well into the 7th inning.  His ERA supports his teams punchless offense.

I feel if this team can get their shit together offensively, cut bait with weak productive hitters (looking at you Suzuki, Gosselin, Rojas, etc) and pick up some decent bats, I’d like to see what these pitchers would be capable of actually pitching with leads instead of behind nearly every game.

Right now Ohtani is 9th in pitcher WAR, Sandoval 23rd - among all pitchers with 100 IP or more. Considering both are on the low-end of innings pitched due to the 6-man rotation, I think you could say that Ohtani is a top 5 starter and Sandoval a top 20 starter...that's a pretty nice 1-2 punch. Not one of the very best in baseball, but probably top 10.

Beyond that, Detmers is at 1.2 WAR and Suarez 0.9 WAR. Detmers continues to improve, and I could see him being a solid 2-3 WAR starter next year. Suarez is on a 2 WAR pace for 150 IP, so he isa solid #4 guy.

So that's a pretty solid top 4. Beyond them, there are quite a few interesting prospect options. Silseth has shown flashes of excellence but still needs to cook a bit longer, and I could also see a scenario where he ends up as a Scot Shields type reliever (wouldn't that be nice). Bush seems close to ready and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the rotation next year, even early on. Bachman is finally healthy (I think), but probably needs another few months in the minors to build up strength and fine-tune his repertoire. And there's still Canning and Rodriguez to consider, plus guys like Crow and Erla for depth.

All that added up and I think the Angels only really need a solid mid-rotation type - someone like Cobb or Syndergaard. So after that, I'd rather see them spend their money on improving the offense and bolstering depth.

On 8/23/2022 at 6:04 AM, wopphil said:

They have a solid foundation with Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers and Suarez. But they need two more reliable arms, preferably 2/3 types (given that they can’t score runs). 

They also need a first baseman, shortstop, left fielder, possibly right fielder, and a whole bullpen. Lots of work to do this off-season. 

New coaches, new manager, new owner, new philosophy, a decent farm system...a lot of things needed to return to contention.

• Chuck changed the title to Los Angeles Angels Starting Pitching Next Year

I don’t get why the Angels are giving starts to Mike Mayers instead of a young SP like Janson Junk or Davis Daniel.

But at this point, it’s too late because Lorenzen will probably replace Mayers after the next rotation turn.

On 8/23/2022 at 6:04 AM, wopphil said:

I think they get one proven guy, not two. Too many other needs, and SP is expensive. Mayers and Lorenzen could be back, but they have Canning, Rodriguez, Daniel, Diaz, Junk, Rosenberg, Silseth, Bush, Toussaint, and others in the minors. The 6th spot will go to one of them.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Arte is selling the team he is not going to spend in off season. Ohtani will be traded so Arte can save 25 to 30 million that Ohtani will get. It is all about saving money for Arte now. 

You don't think the value (price tag) of the Angels drop with Ohtani no longer on the team?

26 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You don't think the value (price tag) of the Angels drop with Ohtani no longer on the team?

No, this team in it's 7th straight losing season. Ohtani most talented player ever to play this game. He wants to play on a winning team. He may be on Angels in 2023 but after that he will test free agency. This team has so many needs. I hope new ownership gives this team some sort of direction as last 7 years have not worked. Arte saves 25 to 30 million by trading him. 

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Arte is selling the team he is not going to spend in off season. Ohtani will be traded so Arte can save 25 to 30 million that Ohtani will get. It is all about saving money for Arte now. 

if i'm selling my house, i'm going to fix it up so i can get more money from any buyers that stop by to take a look. 

1 minute ago, Tank said:

if i'm selling my house, i'm going to fix it up so i can get more money from any buyers that stop by to take a look. 

This house needs a total rebuild. You can get cash offer on house now and they do not even look at it. People will come in and fix house the way they want it. Ohtani is leaving in trade or after 2023 season.