• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Moniak vs Marsh

One theory I've had that I heard Eno Sarris talking about on the Rates & Barrels podcast today is that maybe the Angels determined that they couldn't fix Marsh offensively, which helped prompt their decision to move him.

It makes sense, considering the Angels have had a hard time developing hitters on their own. The hitters that have developed as Angels have mainly been guys with freak talent (Trout, Ohtani) or guys who got help from outside the organization (Ward).

2 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I will be shocked if Marsh doesn't have a much better career than Moniak.  To me that means Marsh will be at least a solid everyday player who might turn a corner offensively but will at least be an excellent defender.  I see Moniak as a 4th OFer at best.  

Alex Ochoa was merely a 4th outfielder, and we got him 20 years ago exactly. And you know how that played out!

(Meaning literally everyone on the current roster didn't win a ring in 2002 either)

The OP is a false premise. From a team building perspective, you aren’t trading one for the other. These trades happened at different times, and the Angels were mulling an offer from Toronto for Syndergaard. I’m guessing, based on rumors, that involved taking Syndergaard and Iglesias but asking the Angels to pay down a chunk of it, maybe include a low level prospect. Perry seemingly decided to not have to pay (which is good) and get a 4th OF with a good amount of upside and a low level prospect to replace Marsh, along with being free and clear of Iglesias while getting a possible rotation piece. 

Also, it’s not like Moniak is 27 and hopeless. He’s Marsh’s age with less MLB at bats, but had a good spring and a very good AAA season. Worth a shot to see if there’s more there. 

2 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

The OP is a false premise. From a team building perspective, you aren’t trading one for the other. These trades happened at different times, and the Angels were mulling an offer from Toronto for Syndergaard. I’m guessing, based on rumors, that involved taking Syndergaard and Iglesias but asking the Angels to pay down a chunk of it, maybe include a low level prospect. Perry seemingly decided to not have to pay (which is good) and get a 4th OF with a good amount of upside and a low level prospect to replace Marsh, along with being free and clear of Iglesias while getting a possible rotation piece. 

Also, it’s not like Moniak is 27 and hopeless. He’s Marsh’s age with less MLB at bats, but had a good spring and a very good AAA season. Worth a shot to see if there’s more there. 

You're not wrong, but Moniak does replace Marsh on the depth chart. 

22 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

hits two hrs in his first four games doubling his career total.  

bunts the ball off his hand and has to come out of the game.  

Mickey Moniak is officially an Angel.  

Gene Autry, Tim Salmon and the kid from Angels in the outfield could hold hands, and shit out a baby shaped like a Rally Monkey. And it still wouldn't be as "Angel" as this. 

The only thing that can make this more us is that if somehow, him breaking his fingers makes him need Tommy John.