• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

POLL: Perry Minasian Trade Deadline Grade

Chuck

Give GM Perry Minasian a grade on his Trade Deadline Deals  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Give GM Perry Minasian a grade on his Trade Deadline Deals

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Too early to tell

I'd go with a C right now but only time will tell because these moves have to be part of the bigger picture for the franchise going forward.  I was hoping Marsh would end up as an above average player under club control while the verdict is still TBD as he's had less than a season worth of AB's being below average so far.  If the guy they got for him ends up becoming a legit catcher at the ML level then it's a win for the Angels.  Iglesias I have no issues with them moving given what he's owed and his recent hiccups.  I think he's more likely than not to correct whatever was going on but the Angels aren't going anywhere this year and I wouldn't bet on it next year either so better to offload his contract and have more money to work with.  Getting anything for Thor is a win because he didn't earn an extension or the offer of one and he shouldn't be part of their plans in 2023.  The Angels are a dumpster fire and honestly I don't have faith in Minasian so far but hopefully both can reverse course. 

15 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

download (8).jpeg

Let's see what grade you give him after today's trades with the Phillies and Braves, trading away Marsh, Iglesias and Syndergaard. 

Thoughts overall? 

I give him a B. I like the Marsh trade and we can potentially re-sign Noah. I like Raisel but we weren't going to win with him this year.

23 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

heh.  This poor bastard is either some sort of evil genius or he has no f'n clue what he's doing.  

I don't think he has a fucking clue?????

He should have learned to play baseball growing up, but he learned to play video games instead....

To Even pretend to be a playoff contender next year seems overly optimistic at the least. So C or C- for that window. Largely because it reduces the chance of Ohtani and Trout being the dual engines of a  team with a decent experienced  nucleus. You have to think they would see these deals as a step backwards from that objective while still in their prime. 

Maybe a B longer term if a few prospects fulfill their promise. 

The catching prospect is the key. If he becomes a legit productive two way player it will fill a long term need. 

Thor and Iglesias were supposed to be key parts of a contender this year. Marsh was expected to progress but hasn't. And overall the team has been a competitive disaster. Not all their fault, but some players had to go if just for the sake of change. And obviously prospects were the only realistic returns they could go after. 

So no more illusions of building a contender for Ohtani next year. How he will feel is an enigma.

To me this deadline just shows that Minasian knows this team isn’t winning jack shit, I’m sure he’d loved to have traded Ohtani, but Arte wasn’t going to let that happen.  I’m glad he sold more than the bare minimum considering this is the case but more than anything I’m just pissed off that this is the hole we’ve been backed into.  Arte clearly isn’t expanding the budget or Raisel would still be here.  

47 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

heh.  This poor bastard is either some sort of evil genius or he has no f'n clue what he's doing.  

Yeah, saying something like that is not an inspiring confidence booster. He should keep that type of thought to himself, probably. It's one thing to take responsibility, but you don't have to voice every single thing out loud.

An F. Created more problems that solutions. 

Add a left fielder (unless Adell randomly turns it around), and a closer to the list of things we need now. 

They choice salery over the returns. The Syndgaard trade and Igleisas trade showed that. This also clearly implies that it's going to be the same bs over again in the off season. can't wait to hear the same old bs in the offseason on Arte willing to increase the payroll for the right player, or that Arte desire to improve the teams. FUCKEN bunch of lies. 

Just took a damn astep back 

What I find worrying is that I teeter towards thinking Minasian is an utterly clueless buffoon and wonder how these guys keep getting GM jobs, and then veer back towards "maybe he's got a clue, so let's wait and see." No conviction, either way.

I think I'm just numb, at this point.

D-

Not impressed with the return for Syndegaard and it seems really short sighted to take less in return for $7 million this year. 

There’s just as good a chance they regret trading Marsh as there is the catcher coming back becomes anything.

The process of signing Iglesias to trade him for scraps when they probably had an opportunity to get some real prospect capital last year is especially frustrating.

They only thing keeping me from giving an F is that at least they didn’t stand pat.

Generally disappointing, like the overall performance the last decade+.

I don’t think I’ve ever felt this discouraged about the direction of the team.

In defense of Minasian (and I have no reason to like or defend him), he took the reins with both Trout and Rendon expected to anchor the offense, and both Adell and Marsh expected to fill out an all-star outfield alongside Trout.

We can knock him for his bullpen moves.... but the first part so far is a shit sandwich.

I'd like to think the front office has more info/data than we do. But if anyone suggested selling high on Marsh/Adell 2 years ago you would have been skewered. Because the hype was these two were going to be 3-4 WAR guys.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

57 minutes ago, mmc said:

To me this deadline just shows that Minasian knows this team isn’t winning jack shit, I’m sure he’d loved to have traded Ohtani, but Arte wasn’t going to let that happen.  I’m glad he sold more than the bare minimum considering this is the case but more than anything I’m just pissed off that this is the hole we’ve been backed into.  Arte clearly isn’t expanding the budget or Raisel would still be here.  

I think next years budget will be a lot lower.

2 hours ago, Wisconsin27 said:

That said, I just wish I understood the plan, or "vision," of this organization.  We can joke there isn't one, but that just can't be the case.  These guys (not just Perry, but those working with him) obviously spend hours mapping out a vision. 

I agree. They're all over the place and it's not really clear what their plan is moving forward with these moves.