• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Pirates' Way

is a solid way to run an organization.   They don't have a single hitter with an OPS above .800 or a batting average above .300.  Yet, they're currently 13 games over .500 (14 if they Halos don't rally) with only an $80 million payroll. 

How do they do it?  Strong pitching, both starting and bullpen.  And, they're doing this with two of their best starters on the DL in AJ Burnett and Wandy Rodriquez.  They have guys like Liriano, who's sporting a 2.44 ERA, filling in for $1 million, while we're paying guys like Blanton $6.5 million to pitch batting practice and clean up the buffet. 

I really hope Arte and Co. just stop throwing money at 30+ year olds and concentrate on building a team primarily from the farm system. 

is a solid way to run an organization.   They don't have a single hitter with an OPS above .800 or a batting average above .300.  Yet, they're currently 13 games over .500 (14 if they Halos don't rally) with only an $80 million payroll. 

How do they do it?  Strong pitching, both starting and bullpen.  And, they're doing this with two of their best starters on the DL in AJ Burnett and Wandy Rodriquez.  They have guys like Liriano, who's sporting a 2.44 ERA, filling in for $1 million, while we're paying guys like Blanton $6.5 million to pitch batting practice and clean up the buffet. 

I really hope Arte and Co. just stop throwing money at 30+ year olds and concentrate on building a team primarily from the farm system. 

Their differential is only +10 and they have sucked the last 20 years.  Not sure why you want to emulate the Pirates.

I'm waiting for the Pirates to realize they are the Pirates and start losing.

Seriously, They haven't had a winning season in 20 years right? 

They have a lot of young talent, and run a solid farm system.   

1992 was the last time they had a winning season (Barry Bonds last season with the Pirates). 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PIT/

Are you really suggesting that we should model the organization that has the longest streak of losing seasons in the history of baseball???

They lost their 82nd game (in 2012) on September 30, clinching their 20th consecutive losing season, extending the longest such streak in North American sports history. 

They are also the only Major League Baseball team to be 16 games over .500 after two-thirds of the season complete and finish with a losing record. The 82nd loss came 4-3 to the Cincinnati Reds at PNC Park on September 30, with the Reds scoring twice in the ninth inning off of All-Star closer Joel Hanrahan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Pirates

This is pretty much the way that John Schuerholz built the Atlanta Braves teams who won 14 straight division titles. They developed largely from within, drafting and developing as many solid arms as they could. The primary free agents they signed (Sid Bream and Terry Pendleton) were brought in primarily for their defense, to make things easier for the young pitchers as they developed.

The key is they finally have a good manager in Clint Hurdle.  That's why I was saying before that I'd like to see the Angels add him if they were to fire Sciosh, because I believe he'd do very well with a lineup as talented as ours.  He got the most out of the Rockies when they were healthy, and is now doing very well with a young and ultra-cheap roster in Pittsburgh.

Either way, while they Pirates have a sorry history in the last 20 years they're actually competitive now, and have been under Hurdle, which is impressive even with the late season swoons.  

But a franchise to emulate?  Now that's funny.