• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Time to trade Trumbo?

I wouldn't do it( the standard caveat that someone could make a crazy offer you can't turn down) unless this team decided to totally tear it down to the ground. 

The peak of his value is likely in the next 3-4 years or so before he gets too far into his 30s.

If you think you can be competitive during that time frame, hang on to him(again, barring someone blowing you away).

If you DON'T think you be competitive during that time frame, cash in on the fact that a competitive team would pay a tidy sum for a bat like his that doesn't involve a commitment into the years you would start worrying about down the road. Having an in his prime Trumbo in the middle of the order for a 75-80 win team does no one any good.

I would never trade Trumbo but what about a deal like Trumbo for Chris Sale? Just want to get opinions. To me this is tempting but I wouldn't do it unless you also threw in some significant minor league talent and made it a no brainer.

By the way I am actually in the small camp that one of the primary reason's for Trumbo's continued development and success is Pujols. Trumbo is now attending Harvard for MLB right handed power hitters. He already has the tools to be great and I think having Pujols around him 24/7 is helping him to develop those tools to the point that this guy is definitely a potential American league MVP someday. Trumbo has increased his ability to lay off the crap pitches that often got him out on 2 strike counts last year. Also, in many cases he has learned to take some of those crap pitches and use his strength and the opposite field to his advantage. If he can continue to develop that, pitchers will have no clue how to pitch him.

I think some of the subtlety of the author's argument is being lost. Consider that for the Angels to win in 2013 (and, presumably, the next few years) 1) they need Pujols and Hamilton to start hitting, and that 2) if they are hitting Trumbo becomes less needed, and that 3) the Angels biggest weakness as an organization is young pitching talent, 4) now might be the time to trade Trumbo as his value is as high as it ever will be (assuming he doesn't hit .300 with 40 HR next year).

I'm not saying I want to do it, but that it should be considered - if the right package is offered. And even then, the Angels shouldn't just trade him for the best package offered - they should trade him if and only if its a great package.

Actually, Profar is an interesting idea. I don't think the Rangers would do it but they'd consider it, considering that Trumbo would likely hit 40 HR in Texas and they don't have a spot for Profar in the middle infield for a few years to come. Trumbo would give them more firepower for the next couple years than Profar. That said, there's no chance Trumbo would be traded to the Rangers or Athletics.

White sox don't need another 1b/ DH type. They already have Viciedo, Konerko, Dunn

In my opinion Konerko is done and Dunn is Done (sorry for that :-)  ) Also, Trumbo has versatility in OF and I still think he can play 3B despite last years debacle. He plays the 1B hot corner just fine and it's in his head at 3B which in many ways is just the mirror image. throw him out there and suffer for 80 games and he will be fine after that. He is still versatile even if not at 3B. If the Angels are out of it by early August I think they should get Trumbo some 3B experience.

I think my biggest hesitation about trading Trumbo is that because he seems like a smart, dedicated student of baseball, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a Chris Davis/Jose Bautista-like jump in performance in another year or two. I'm not saying he'll be that good, but I could see him going from his normal .260-.270, 30 HR to .290 and 40 HR, especially if he continues drawing walks.

So again, I wouldn't trade Trumbo with the idea that he's a .260/.800 hitter, but that he's an improving .270/.850 hitter who could get even better.

"...Josh Hamilton, Albert Pujols and Erik Aybar need to actually start hitting -- in which case Trumbo's offense is superfluous. But if the multimillionaires don't come through, then Trumbo's contribution is pointless, because no one cares whether you win 80 games instead of 75. Either way, they don't need Mark Trumbo."

I completely disagree with his point regarding Trumbo.

I wouldn't do it( the standard caveat that someone could make a crazy offer you can't turn down) unless this team decided to totally tear it down to the ground.

agreed. We should keep the team we have basically intact including offering Vargas a qualifying offer then trying to work out an extension. 

On the other hand, if we're going to be trading away players like Trumbo might as well go full nuke-and-pave:

Bundle him with Josh Hamilton and maybe someone who has not been paying attention will take the bait.

Bundle Trout with the Albert Pujols. Trade away every player making money, or about to make money for prospects a la what happened with Miami. Then sell the team and start from scratch. Acquire a few years of early draft picks then rebuild from a clean slate like Miami and Houston are doing. 

That's probably the best strategy to take to maximize the number of possible wins per payroll dollar. It would definitely not be good for PR though. 

No

That's generally my thinking too, but could we really get King Felix? If so, I'd have to think about it.

The logic that Trumbo is unnecessary if Hamilton started hitting is flawed to me. I thought that's why we got rid of Morales? How many guys can we afford to lose?? 

Interesting scenario, and in some ways it makes sense.

If the Angels are going to compete, they need Jerry's Kids to stop sucking ass...if and they aren't sucking ass Trumbo is needed less. Even if they are hitting, you still have huge holes that need to be filled and you have very little pieces of value outside of Trumbo, Bourjos, and Kendrick (Trout being off the table). So you could move a guy like Trumbo and bring back needed pieces. This still relies on Jerry's Kids though. Another alternative be you take your value, say the hell with it let's go rebuild and by the time we are ready to compete again Trumbo is going to be more expensive and on the wrong side of 30....so get your value now.

With all that said, I don't think Trumbo is that guy. I think you do keep him as a building block because young power hitters don't grow on trees (hell, that's why he has value though).

Bourjos and Kendrick on the other hand...I think you have to listen to what they would bring back. Especially Bourjos when you have Trout who can step in to CF and you can pick up a solid corner bat with decent glove for a moderate price.

"...Josh Hamilton, Albert Pujols and Erik Aybar need to actually start hitting w-- in which case Trumbo's offense is superfluous. But if the multimillionaires don't come through, then Trumbo's contribution is pointless, because no one cares whether you win 80 games instead of 75. Either way, they don't need Mark Trumbo."

I completely disagree with his point regarding Trumbo.

The idea that any offense is superfluous, is ridiculous.

The idea that any offense is superfluous, is ridiculous.

Yeah.  "we sure don't need production out of X spot in the lineup" is something I'm pretty sure nobody in baseball has said ever.  

EDIT:  Wow, I didn't actually read the source article until now.  Someone please take this guy's keyboard away:

"And desperate times call for desperate measures. Just like desperate housewives call for plastic surgeons."

"He leads the team in home runs and RBIs -- that's two of the Triple Crown categories. Whoop-dee-doo! He must be two-thirds great!"

"I've been catching a lot of heat for my sarcasm and flippancy. "How much heat?" you ask. Miami Heat! And that's the worst heat there is."