• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Garret Richards rotting in bullpen

Marsaka

Rotting is right. He is rotting because he is rotten! Big disappointment who can't muster any consistency and can't throw strikes. It is Jerome who should not be in the bullpen. Richards should be getting regular starting work, but at AAA until he can figure out the strike zone. He is terrible. The kid has good stuff, and probably the latent talent is there, but consistency is not a calling card for him - and with the coaching he doesn't get, that isn't helping him develop.

I agree with the author, for the most part.  I don't think getting Hanson, Vargas, and Blanton was an attempt to gain headlines.  It was baffling, though.   

They got Hanson first.  I was pleased with the trade considering what the Angels gave up.  Hanson had declined, but was a decent option for #4.  Then, they got Vargas.  I wasn't thrilled, but it wasn't a terrible move.  Getting Bourjos in the lineup was a good thing. Not trading him when his value was down was a great thing.  Vargas was a 4/5, though, I thought.  Disappointing.  I thought they needed someone better than Hanson. 

They also had Richards, Williams, and Maronde (would've liked to see him start more).   Signing Blanton was baffling.  Signing him for two years was shocking.  If you didn't have Richards or Williams, I could see adding some depth... on a one year deal.  A fringe major league starting pitcher.  You have those guys.  You have one that is young and might be much better.

Richards may not have done well.  Williams may not have done well.  Richards has upside, though, and has shown it in the minors and the majors. This article is spot on... you've gotta roll the dice at some point if you don't have better options.  

What do they do now?  With Blanton signed for two years and pitching much better lately.... with Richards struggling in the pen.... with Williams having a great start to the season.   It's tough.  The Angels created this situation, though.  

Richards was a solid prospect.  He's got good stuff.  He just hasn't performed consistently.  He's been massively frustrating so far.  Some prospects who perform well when they roll thru the minors as he did and then fail miserably when they get to the bigs.  Richards is a guy who has shown great potential.  He'll strike out the first two batters on a bunch of nasty pitches and then give up back to back hits on pitches that miss in the zone. 

So you can't give up on him. 

He needs to be a starter to develop his command and release point.  Even if he has to go to the minors to do so.  He's still barely 25 as of the end of may.  If we had a good rotation, it'd be fine to put him in the five spot and let him cut his teeth.  If we are not at .500 by the ASB, he should get a bunch of starts the second half of the season to see if he can start to get it together.

I am not saying he hasn't been disappointing, just that he's a guy that we need to keep around because eventually, we will be happy we did. 

I hope you are right, Doc, as we certainly could use a homegrown stud pitcher.

I really think that if we keep this guy, we will be very happy we did so for his 27-29yo seasons in particular.  It might take a couple more years, but they have to do it right.   

He still has time to figure it out. Command is the one thing that can change with a guy, you can't find many guys with the stuff Richards has. 

I'm not saying he'll turn his command around like Verlander or Kershaw did but if he can start figuring out how to pitch to guys, this guy could be good. 

"He is reticent about throwing inside, and he has virtually nothing off-speed. Everything is hard and away."

This is why he is not in the rotation. We can't have a guy who throws one pitch in one location. How can he expect to keep hitters off-balance if he's not using the WHOLE plate?

"He is reticent about throwing inside, and he has virtually nothing off-speed. Everything is hard and away."

This is why he is not in the rotation. We can't have a guy who throws one pitch in one location. How can he expect to keep hitters off-balance if he's not using the WHOLE plate?

It can work in relief (sometimes) but not in the rotation....