• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

I think you just described the meaning of unknown.

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion - 9.5/10

Damn good movie. A bit of an unknown gem despite winning the Best Foreign Language Oscar in 1970. Great poliziotteschi style tense crime drama. The lead actor is great in this. I'm actually pretty surprised that this hasn't been remade yet.

Haha, true enough. But even in movie nerd circles, it seems fairly forgotten, probably since there has been no US or UK release whatsoever.

Even other winners around that time like Z, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Day for Night, Amarcord, and Closely Watched Trains, wouldn't be "unknown" in my book like Investigation of a Citizen.

Though looking at the list, the Oscars got progressively worse (big surprise) in the 80s and 90s for Foreign movies.

Lords of Salem - 3/10

Rob Zombie's attempt at a slow-burn, old school, psychological horror is not successful just feels like a pretentious, boring mess. In tone, he seems to be aiming at Rosemary's Baby or The Shining, but he failed pretty bad. Also, a lot of the imagery in the film reeks of trying to be edgy and subversive but comes across as desperate. My hopes weren't high for this going in but outside of being shot fairly well, and somewhat liking the overall idea of the film, there wasn't much to like of the overall outcome.

Place Beyond The Pines: 7/10

A new movie, so I won'tget in-depth with a review to avoid spoilers. I also went in not knowing what it was about or what to expect based off the trailer. I have a man crush on Ryan Gosling and he was solid. Almost the same character as Drive, but with more darkness and edge. Bradley Cooper did great in a darker role.

A really good plot and movie concept, but it was 3 hours long and just wasn't edited down properly and dragged when it didn't need to. But when a lull would occur it drags you back in. My only complaint is the length. It starts off bad ass then switches then comes to a conclusion.

Worth a view and will probably get good reviews. I think it was at 89% when we looked up movie times.

I've been hoping to check that out since IT came out, just not sure if I'm going to be able to get to it before it leaves theaters. One of two Gosling movies I hope to check out this year. The other is Only God Forgives where he is reunited with Nicolas Winding Refn again after doing Drive.

Watched all six of the original Star Trek films over the last week or so. Never been a fan of Star Trek, then again I've never seen anything Star Trek related outside of quickly changing the channel whenever I noticed the show was coming on when I was younger. Just always seemed boring to me. I mildly enjoyed the J.J. Abrams reboot, so I decided to finally check out the original movies with the new Star Trek movie looming.

Overall, enjoyed all of them to a degree with part 2 and 6 being my overall favorites which seems to be the overall consensus. Part 5 which is generally crapped on, was indeed the weakest for me (along with the first movie), but wasn't as crappy as I expected, just silly and a little self-indulgent.

I also liked part 4 quite a bit even with all it's silliness with the fish-outta-water angle ("double dumb ass on you!"). All in all, from someone brand new to Star Trek, I enjoyed the movies a lot more than I ever thought I would and I never really thought I would ever bother to check them out, but pretty glad I did. They were a decent watch and fun to sit through.

Bachelorette

Why Lizzy Caplan isn't getting leading comedic roles I'll never understand.  She's a million times funnier than overrated bimbos like Heigl and Diaz.

There are a million actresses that are better than Heigl and Diaz. Probably the two most over-rated comedic actresses of all-time. Each of them got lucky with one role (Heigl - Knocked Up and Diaz - There's Something About Mary). They both rode that luck off into the sunset with millions of dollars and left nothing in their wake but a ton of crappy movies. I hate them both.

Place Beyond The Pines: 7/10

A new movie, so I won'tget in-depth with a review to avoid spoilers. I also went in not knowing what it was about or what to expect based off the trailer. I have a man crush on Ryan Gosling and he was solid. Almost the same character as Drive, but with more darkness and edge. Bradley Cooper did great in a darker role.

A really good plot and movie concept, but it was 3 hours long and just wasn't edited down properly and dragged when it didn't need to. But when a lull would occur it drags you back in. My only complaint is the length. It starts off bad ass then switches then comes to a conclusion.

Worth a view and will probably get good reviews. I think it was at 89% when we looked up movie times.

I loved this movie. The actors filled into their roles well, especially the kids. Some of the scenes are pretty intense and they were shot quite well. I agree it could have been shorter but there wasn't any point in the movie where I became bored or anything like that. Is it just me or is Ray Liota's upper lip getting shorter and shorter?

Damn, where the hell have I been that I didn't realize Mud was out already? Probably one of my five most anticipated movies of the year. I've loved both of Jeff Nichols' other movies in Shotgun Stories and Take Shelter and have looked forward to this since I read about it last year. I think I've always just had it in my head that it was released in May for some reason. Glad to hear it was good.

Plan to check it out this week now for sure. Will have to go some time after work before Friday as I seems to be gone from the nearest theaters by me after Thursday according to Fandango at least.